996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT700 at Altitude

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
can u varify that the car is in good running condition... no boost leaks? what boost are u maintaining...(not spikes).
good luck,
markski
Markski,

It seems to be running well. When it first arrived the check engine light came on within a day or two. The car went into limp mode on the highway a few times after this happened. I'd pull over, turn it off, and it would run fine again.

I brought it to Stevenson Porsche and they found that the vacuum tubes were not connected to the divertor valves (hope I got that right). They fixed this problem and the car has had no issues. Today it ran well at the track but was quite a bit slower than expected. On the way home the check engine light came on again and it went into limp mode. Once again all I had to do was turn it off, restart it, and it was fine. This happened twice today and once again the check engine light is on.

The car runs well and pulls smoothly to red line but it's just not as fast as it should be, IMO. EVOMS also built a GT700 Cayenne for me and I've had the same issues. Check engine light, slower times than expected, etc.

Could it be that this is the downside to having a car tuned at sea level (close to sea level) versus someone tuning in Denver? Both the Cayenne and GT2 seem to be struggling at altitude, more so than expected. The Cayenne is actually in Phoenix at EVOMS being worked on again.

It might make sense to get someone from EVOMS out to Denver to do the tuning. I've had them build two cars in the past 6 months so I'm hoping that they'd be willing to make them run right up here. A 700 HP GT2, even at 6000', should be running better than 11.80's. I'm driving the car well and there's little room for improvement in my 60' times. A 997tt with minimal mods was running consistent 11.90's today. I'm suposedly making substantially more power than him in a lighter car. It just doesn't add up.

Hopefully EVOMS will chime in because this is a bit frustrating.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Forgot to mention that all runs have been on 100 octane and race map.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evo650
Markski,

It seems to be running well. When it first arrived the check engine light came on within a day or two. The car went into limp mode on the highway a few times after this happened. I'd pull over, turn it off, and it would run fine again.

I brought it to Stevenson Porsche and they found that the vacuum tubes were not connected to the divertor valves (hope I got that right). They fixed this problem and the car has had no issues. Today it ran well at the track but was quite a bit slower than expected. On the way home the check engine light came on again and it went into limp mode. Once again all I had to do was turn it off, restart it, and it was fine. This happened twice today and once again the check engine light is on.

The car runs well and pulls smoothly to red line but it's just not as fast as it should be, IMO. EVOMS also built a GT700 Cayenne for me and I've had the same issues. Check engine light, slower times than expected, etc.

Could it be that this is the downside to having a car tuned at sea level (close to sea level) versus someone tuning in Denver? Both the Cayenne and GT2 seem to be struggling at altitude, more so than expected. The Cayenne is actually in Phoenix at EVOMS being worked on again.

It might make sense to get someone from EVOMS out to Denver to do the tuning. I've had them build two cars in the past 6 months so I'm hoping that they'd be willing to make them run right up here. A 700 HP GT2, even at 6000', should be running better than 11.80's. I'm driving the car well and there's little room for improvement in my 60' times. A 997tt with minimal mods was running consistent 11.90's today. I'm suposedly making substantially more power than him in a lighter car. It just doesn't add up.

Hopefully EVOMS will chime in because this is a bit frustrating.
What kind of boost are you seeing?

Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by joetwint
What kind of boost are you seeing?
The dash board shows that I'm making a max of 1.1 bar. The after market boost gauge installed by Evoms shows peak boost at 20 psi tapering off to about 17 psi. I'm not sure which is most accurate.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
John, I'm heading down to Pueblo this weekend for two track days with the R.M. Porsche club. Let me know if you want to attend. I'll let you know how to sign up. Your GT2 will shine on the track.

Ken

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
OMG

It ain't the car it's your atmospheric conditions. I corrected your times and you were running in a DA of 7773'.

If you were running at ATCO or one of the other superfast negative DA eastcoast tracks, that would have been a very low 10 second pass.

Attached Images  

Last edited by RennTechV12; 06-05-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
OMG

It ain't the car it's your atmospheric conditions. I corrected your times and you were running in a DA of 7773'.

If you were running at ATCO or one of the other superfast negative DA eastcoast tracks, that would have been a very low 10 second pass.
Isn't that conversion for a NA car?

Thanks for taking the time to look up this info.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I just looked up the NHRA converson factor for turbo charged cars in Denver. It's 0.9405 on the ET and 1.0563 on trap speeds. Wouldn't this be more accurate?

My corrected times per the NHRA would be 11.10 @ 128.77. Not bad but still not representitive of a 700 HP GT2 with a 1.7 60' time.

A 997tt was running 11.90's and the guy claimed it was stock. He's full of it, in my opinion, as these times at this altitude are impossible on a stock 997tt. However, with the 997tt mods that are available I should be quite a bit faster than he is, not neck and neck. What do you think?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I spoke with Todd from EVOMS today and he can do a high altitude tune on the car. The turbos and fuel system have plenty of head room.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
First of all, I'm not advocating this without expert consult.

But can't you simply up boost to compensate? As long as A/F mixtures are good that seems like a logical conclusion to my uninformed mind.

Of course, you will have to lower boost when and if you go back down to lower altitudes...

Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
good luck boys... sounds like you and todd are going to have some fun out there

Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Thats great times for Bandi man, congrats. Tuning it up here at altitude is definitely the way to go. Thats the way that my and silversurfer's S4s were tuned by Sportec and it made all the difference...in fact thats what Torque Factory in LA started doing for some of the GIAC S4s up here and they were able to fix several issues with that code up here in the mountains too.

Whens your next runs gonna be? im going to make it a point of getting up there.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by ari
First of all, I'm not advocating this without expert consult.

But can't you simply up boost to compensate? As long as A/F mixtures are good that seems like a logical conclusion to my uninformed mind.

Of course, you will have to lower boost when and if you go back down to lower altitudes...
We can. Todd may install a boost controller.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by villains_turbo
Thats great times for Bandi man, congrats. Tuning it up here at altitude is definitely the way to go. Thats the way that my and silversurfer's S4s were tuned by Sportec and it made all the difference...in fact thats what Torque Factory in LA started doing for some of the GIAC S4s up here and they were able to fix several issues with that code up here in the mountains too.

Whens your next runs gonna be? im going to make it a point of getting up there.
I'll let you know when I'm heading up again. Looking forward to meeting you.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Evo650
I'll let you know when I'm heading up again. Looking forward to meeting you.
just sent you a PM with my cell, hit me up when you are going up next.

...and anybody know what up with the timestamps on this forum? seems like some stuff posts to tomorrows date and such?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT700 at Altitude