996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Silicon hose kit options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:41 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
WOW! that is purdy. what's the bottom on the engine look like? for what kevin charges for the cf air box you would think it would atleast come with stainless hardware. look like the hardware is starting to oxidize.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
look like the hardware is starting to oxidize.
I used my own anodized hardware

The bottom you coul eat off of

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 PM
andyk79 is infamous around these parts
Wross996TT your engine bay looks as if you've never driven your car. What do you have like 20 miles on it.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GreggT
OK........what am I missing if I still have original?
Yep I'd like a bit more color in there but hey, a 2001 with 30K on the clock, I'm boosting 1.2 or 1.3, not aware of any issues.

Course now that I've asked, I'll blow one on the way home tonight
Well Oak is just having fun talking sh** it's not about making power its just peace of mind. I (and wross) live in a very dry climate at a high altitude, rubber hoses tend to become dry and crack over time so generally when i start to take a car out of factory specs, especially with regards to increased boost pressure and stuff like that, I have found it better to just replace stuff that could cause trouble later...that has historically included hoses.
Also, my turbo experience (outside of my old school audi which is fully built from the ground up) comes from an S4 which had notoriously weak turbos (the kkk k03) in the configuration they built that car in. Whenever you blew one of the hoses, the turbos would work wicked hard for a bit and bad things would happen so I swapped the hoses as soon as i started tweaking the power just to avoid issues down the road...and even then I went through 3 throttle body boots before switching to a cast aluminum pipe.

(GLPDX) - Thanks for the advice. I got all that stuff covered and have some pretty extensive relationships with several local shops - (3R racing, autosport werks, injection labs, etc.). I will certainly not build a frankenstein (sp?) when i start adding more power...but if I am not mistaken the boost hoses and such will scale to the K24 and hybrid turbos as well as the stock k16's wont they?...not sure about the Garrett turbos on the GT kits, but I find it unlikely that i will go that route anyway...and if i do and these hoses dont fit then I have a used set for sale :-)

Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I used my own anodized hardware

The bottom you coul eat off of

Thanks.
Jeebus man, i need to see your car :-)

Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM
glpdx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by villains_turbo

(GLPDX) - Thanks for the advice. I got all that stuff covered and have some pretty extensive relationships with several local shops - (3R racing, autosport werks, injection labs, etc.). I will certainly not build a frankenstein (sp?) when i start adding more power...but if I am not mistaken the boost hoses and such will scale to the K24 and hybrid turbos as well as the stock k16's wont they?...not sure about the Garrett turbos on the GT kits, but I find it unlikely that i will go that route anyway...and if i do and these hoses dont fit then I have a used set for sale :-)
Oh, yea. I'm not an expert like all the rest but I'm fairly sure the boost hoses are the same for all the kits, up to some insane point. I'm just saying if you decide you're going to go, for example, to a EVOMS GT700 or GT800 at some point, get some EVO hoses. If you think you'll be doing someone elses higher power setup, use their hoses. It's not absolutely necessary, but it makes the final installer more comfortable with your components. Personally, I would take it one step further. Find an installer that is experienced with whatever kit/setup you eventually plan to get to, and have them do all your work each step of the way. Again, not necessary, but it'll make the process less of a struggle and service will be much easier.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 AM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
glpdx, I'm wondering we can take literally your supposition that all the turbo hoses are the same. I expect that there aren't very many companies that that manufacture silicone hoses. And there is not a big pool of potential customers like there is for small block Chevy parts. It may be that different vendors are selling the same product.

I used to work for a company that designed and manufactured blood glucose meters. We made 'private label' meters for other companies to sell under their own name. I have some inside knowledge of the car aftermarket biz due to owning my own small company in addition to my day job. Not saying I know for sure who makes what for whom, but there's reason to suspect that some of these low volume parts have fewer manufacturers than brand names.

Jeff

Old 06-01-2007, 01:45 PM
glpdx is infamous around these parts
I was trying to say I think all the EVO hoses are the same for the 550hp to 800hp kits, not across brands. I have no idea about that. And don't take anything I say literally, I'm just the average consumer, sharing lessons learned and what I've observed. What I'm trying to say is do a bunch of research, now, for a an installer that you can trust and is also fully experienced all the way up to the level you think you'll take your upgrades, and stick with him from the start. That just my opinion, though.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Sorry for the late chime. We have very high quality boost hoses and F Hose in all the great colors. Work well and fit perfect! Here they are here -
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/i...Path/4266_4269
Will make you a special 6speed price. Just pm or email me.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:14 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
And here they are installed (thanks Dan). My engine is dirty though according to Oak, sorry...

Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Looks really good. Like what you did with the BOV. Gonna switch mine that way and use this picture! Looks good!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor
Oh PS gonna be in London in 3 weeks

Old 06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Sweet, we'll have to take a ride into Mexico while you're out here!

To reposition the BOV I used a 38-25mm 90-degree silicone reducer, chopped to make a 45. I removed all of the old rubber **** that was in there, and plugged the intake side with a 38-25mm straight reducer + one of the plugs that came with the BOV. I was a little worried about it flopping around, but so far it works really well.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Former Vendor
LOL. Will do!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
I got the Agency hoses from Vivid Racing in blue. They really dress up the engine bay, aside from being functional. If you get these hoses, don't forget to take off the o-rings from your stock hoses and use them on the silicone hoses. New o-rings are not a part of this kit (I believe new o-rings are included with the Evo hoses) and if you don't put the stock o-rings on the Agency hoses you will get a CEL and crazy codes because of leaks. I learned the hard way. Once I figured out my mistake and corrected it, not a single problem with the hoses and fit. I love these things. By the way, great customer service from the Vivid Racing staff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Silicon hose kit options?