996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

08' Turbo Track Takeover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:02 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
IMO, looks like a DE session in 3 separate groups and a time trial rather than a W2W might be the safest and most fun thing to do?
Yeah, I mean, no one is trying to replace club racing with the PCA or anything here, we are trying to get together with the people from the board and have fun, share tips and do something we all love, that's it. No revords should be aimed at being shattered.

Unfortunately I dont think we will get much help from the powers that be here so we'll have to do something seperate and find the nest way to get this organized. I have contacted VIR but havent heard back yet, I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
IMO, looks like a DE session in 3 separate groups and a time trial rather than a W2W might be the safest and most fun thing to do?
I agree. We should stick to DE type format and the word "race" should not be mentioned. That also effects track and car insurances.
And nobody should be allowed to pass me!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I agree. We should stick to DE type format and the word "race" should not be mentioned. That also effects track and car insurances.
And nobody should be allowed to pass me!

^^...well jeez...maybe I should bring the rs...atleast Ill be comfortable going 40 mph...

jk...

Acutally...what Im REALLY looking forward to is sticking with you, watching how you do what you do...and then reversing...I have never learned more than from that lead follow type of lapping...

Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Of course we will designate run groups. I do have to agree with MiniD that I dont think we will have enough people there with racing liscenses, I dont have one, though I do have a time trial liscense, I think at that point I'll be working towards one but wont have it yet.

As with most groups we will classify people based on driving experience and number of DE's/TT's/W2W. Tom, I'm sure yourself and Dave would be among the people in the highest grouping and based on your experience as an instructor I would prefer that you guys also set the class rules. I think most of the people we will get have moderat experience in HPDE, not to mention we will have several people from the area that have done the track several times before. I dont think # of people on track will be an issue and nor will loads of traffic, to add to this we can always start off slow and work our way up meaning point bys in every group (only certain sections for middle to novice groups).

There are way to do this so that everyone is happy however I beleive the most experienced guys will be the ones to suffer for the fact that we wont have that many w2w racers there and unless you want to be in a group of 5 or 6 (which will totally still be possible) you will have to be on track with lesser (experienced) drivers and in that case we would drive under the rules that the least experienced person in the group is used to (meaning open passing or no) at least for the first session.

I think the top group should be open passing with NO DIVE BOMBING and the rest will be point bys in designated areas. I have done many open passing sessions before and think I should be able to run in this group and that is something we will have to trust that everyone will be honest with themselves.

Frankly with our numbers there wont be tons of passes in a day period, but trust that we wont stick you on the track with noobs (with tons of HP) for the experienced guys. If you can, go over and get some of those guys from Rennlist and we can have a racer group that is just like a racing group only no clock, but I think we need sufficient numbers to make it a seperate group.
Road Atlanta and VIR are both long tracks and if run groups are limited to 5-7 cars and are spaced at the start, passing issues shouldn't come into play. Of course, cars are like magnets and somehow seem to cluster up despite may be a limited # of drivers per group.

I would suggest limiting the number of cars to around 30. My guess is that it would cost each car at least $500 each and that fee would include the track rental; corner workers (wouldn't want to be out there on these two track w/o them) and possibly 2-3 instructors to help organize the day and help all participants improve driving skills.

Also, any 6bling attorneys please weigh in on the best way to execute this event without anybody or all participants assuming any legal risk (a waiver is a given but that doesn't necessarily cover the risk).

I know this idea probably want be well rec'd but I would also suggest leaving any timing devices at home. VIR and Road Atlanta are very fast tracks with some very techinical areas and anyone, regardless of experience level, can get it in over their head real quick in real fast cars on these tracks. I've learned and instructed that at certain stages of your development, you are actually quicker when you don't focus on lap times or top speed on the straights.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I second, no RACING SPECIFIC timing devices...no robic units or anything similar unless your car comes with the equipment (any cup cars coming OBV wouldnt have to dissable their AIM systems or cars with them). Times just make events that much more dangerous and make the event concidered "timed" and your insurance will 100% not cover you (rather than even getting to try to get coverage).

Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 AM
BTW...I may have a great sponsor for this event if you guys can make it seem big enough...I dont know if any of you are familiar with CDOC but they are one of the biggest racing parts suppliers on the east coast (if not even more nationwide) and VIR is their home track with their headquarters being in VA and run by Colin Dougherty. Dougherty Automotive in West Chester, PA was started by Colin Dougherty's father Bill Dougherty and is where I have had all my work done to the turbo. They are a great place and could possibly come and provide trackside assistance for the cars that attend. There would be a fee associated with that but Ill see if there is a way he could bring his trailor and CDOC could have some 996tt parts ready...

Lemme know what you guys think?

Also, if this DOES work out and I can get Bill to trailor my car to the event, others in the Philly, NJ, NYC, MA area could be trailored as well...its not cheap, but its also a great time and stress saving manuever...

Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
^^...well jeez...maybe I should bring the rs...atleast Ill be comfortable going 40 mph...

jk...

Acutally...what Im REALLY looking forward to is sticking with you, watching how you do what you do...and then reversing...I have never learned more than from that lead follow type of lapping...
Exactly what I wanted to do!! We running Cups, Hoosiers, or pirelli slicks??

Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Hoosiers here.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Im thinking hoosier r6s...but MAYBE cups depending on the forcast for that weekend...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Jem335i is infamous around these parts
Would love to participate if you guys decide to open it up to non-Pcars

Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jem335i
Would love to participate if you guys decide to open it up to non-Pcars
You are with us, and welcome to join.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Jem335i is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You are with us, and welcome to join.
Thanks Dez,

I don't mind VIR, just need to plan in advance. Always down for RA.

-Jem

Old 07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Dez, you going to post this on Rennlist?? Just a thought, 6speeders and rennlisters on the same track, would be awesome!!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Guys you might want to reconsider a timing trial (1 hot lap) + the DE? Even if it is only for people who have a license of some sort... I am sure it will be a much higher incentive to sponsors even.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Guys you might want to reconsider a timing trial (1 hot lap) + the DE? Even if it is only for people who have a license of some sort... I am sure it will be a much higher incentive to sponsors even.

If a time trial...whose license should we have before we do this and how would the classes go?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08' Turbo Track Takeover