996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RUF R turbo against RUF CTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 01:58 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
RUF R turbo against RUF CTR

My pa and I got up really early this morning, there was a grudge match. The CTR against the R Turbo.

These tests are no way scientific and arent wholly reliable, we will need to rent an airfield for the definitive result imho.

Conditions are wet but sunny, so the runs were going to be from 45mph to 100mph. In fourth gear.

First run:

Im in the R turbo and my pa is in the CTR. We both nail it at the same time and surprisingly the CTR actually leaps ahead by a length and slowly pulls ahead to 100ish.

Second run:

From 60ish, i shift down to third, my pa is still in 4th. The CTR gets the jump on me for about 1/2 a second. However im in third and am confident, flatten the accelerator and cannot catch the little yellow rocket which continues to slowly pull ahead, shift quickly to fourth flatten the pedal and the CTR is still slowly pulling ahead. We shut down at a good enough speed.

Heres where i was surprised, my pa hops out of the car and tells me had the boost on its lowest setting, .7 bar...it will do 1.2...

all the best
adam

Last edited by AdamT; 04-04-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:24 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Whoa... I knew it was fast, but not THAT fast!

Old 04-04-2004, 05:00 AM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
That is really impressive....by the way, nice avatar pic !

Old 04-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Adam,

Thanks for sharing the anecdote. No big surprise to me! I know a certain Yellow CTR2 pulls the factory driven Viper Sport machines on high speed straights like they are standing still. Oh yea, very cool video of the Brabus/R Turbo! You must be getting a lot of confidence, your "soft hands" were very clear in the vid. Good job, keep having fun! Ruf is about driving!

Cheers,

R

PS
I am going to do a Nevada 130 mile race in my M5 with a high target speed average.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Roland, its lovely to hear from you, i hear that you will be able to come over to europe sometime and visit RUF and the fatherland?

also i think you will love high speed runs in the M5, it is really well balanced and quite stable at the 160mph i ran ours to. Good acceleration, not alot of fuss.

all the best
adam

Old 04-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Are there any CTRs available in the US?

Old 04-04-2004, 09:16 AM
MWM
MWM is infamous around these parts
Must be crazy-fun piloting a pristine Guards Red Rturbo, go-pedal hard against the carpet, turbos at full song, and getting walked by your old man in a rolling piece-of-art legend! Treasure these moments. You're a lucky fella!

Old 04-04-2004, 09:27 AM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Adam,

For the high speed runs that you made at the airfield, what tire pressures were you running on the R Turbo ?

P.S did you watch the FA Cup semis ? so much for the treble eh ?

Old 04-04-2004, 09:37 AM
mehrabani,

I will ask mr ruf but i dont think so, the only CTR's i know of are a sort of hybrid cars which used to be owned by the Beddors. Excellent cars, they are 964's will full racing kit and im sure bhp around 600!

MWM, i will and ill film the cars and post when we can get to the airfield

RUFMD, i dont know the tire pressures, we should of checked them but the car makes such little fuss getting to that speed, Also the tires were newish, put on in the last month or so.
Hehehe the FA cup was brilliant, i was rooting for Man Utd

all the best
adam

:edit: Also does anyone know the difference in bhp from .7 bar to 1.2?

Old 04-04-2004, 09:41 AM
I know Adam, I'm a huge Man Utd fan...thinking of coming over for the FA Cup final on May 22nd. Can't stand Arsenal and hope Chelsea give them a go on Tuesday...

Cheers !

Old 04-04-2004, 10:18 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
....darnit...shoulda bought THIS CAR , probably was a great deal at $60 grand

Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MJC123
....darnit...shoulda bought THIS CAR , probably was a great deal at $60 grand
dang, is that road legal... and is it a real yellowbird?

Old 04-04-2004, 10:58 AM
PerfPow is infamous around these parts
CTR

There is a real Ruf CTR in the U.S. It is one of the 7(?) original CTR lightweights. We did numerous track mods to the car in the 90s when it first got here. We did a gearbox oiling system, rebushed the shift rods (for precision and to prevent galling), front and rear brake cooling, adjustable sway bars and engine changes to accommodate more boost. PM me if interested or contact me through my website.

There is no substitute for light weight. The CTRs 2500 pounds, six speed gearbox and modestly rated 469 hp (easily bumped beyond 500) combine to make it feel like magic. This is Ruf's most fun car, if it isn't the very fastest.

I have many detailed pictures of this car but they aren't digital.

Adam, it sounded like you switched cars with your dad on run 2. Which car had the boost at .7? Each would gain a different amount from the boost gain because of other parameters in the mapping. But I'd say 60 + or -.

Sol Snyderman
www.perfectpowerinc.com

Old 04-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Adam,

Shooting for May visit! As for the M5 at speed I have cruised twenty miles @ 180 in Nevada.
Lecture time: check those tires & lug nuts before every high speed run. Also consider nitrogen fill for tires. Use a scuba tank with regulator! Huge benefit!

Best

R

Old 04-04-2004, 12:20 PM
RUFMD, you and me both buddy! I have disliked the Aresenal since i was very small!

Mehranbani, it is a converted 964,

Perfpow, you are spot on the lightweight CTR is a magic car,

We never swapped cars, i was always in the R turbo, and i think you are right about the ~60bhp

The car brakes also like you wouldnt believe, really great braking system also,

Roland, that sounds like a very good idea, especially the lug nuts

all the best
adam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RUF R turbo against RUF CTR