996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

755 AWTQ at 3900 RPMs = A BLAST TO DRIVE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
755 AWTQ at 3900 RPMs = A BLAST TO DRIVE

A few months ago, I sent my car to EVOMS to diagnose a couple of issues and to install a few upgrades, including the new Hitachi MAF and a corresponding tune, water cooling for the turbos, a larger fuel pump, some larger fuel lines, larger fuel rails, new plugs, and a few more tweaks. Unfortunately EVOMS quickly discovered that I had lost pressure in one of my cylinders (thus explaining my car’s poor performance during the preceding months). Consequently, what was initially anticipated to be a relatively brief visit stretched out much longer than expected.

With respect to the installation of the new Hitachi MAF, my car needed to be completely retuned. Todd Z. asked me whether I would prefer a car that has huge low end torque and blasts from light to light, or a freeway bomber with big top end, but at the sacrifice of some low end torque and throttle response. I have only driven my car over 150 mph twice, and I VERY rarely exceed 120 mph. Conversely, I love the rush of explosive bursts between 0 and 100 mph. Therefore, I choose the former. With the OEM MAF and tune, my GT800 turbos had some unfortunate lag. I was admittedly a bit jealous of all the GT700 and Protomotive 700/18G and UMWs Stage II guys crowing about how quickly their turbos hit, and the relative absence of lag. Notwithstanding that my turbos are larger in comparison to what these other guys are using, I asked Todd Z. to do what he could to eliminate some of the lag and give me better low end torque and throttle response. Todd told me that, with the additional flexibility provided by the Hitachi MAF, he could give me what I wanted. Todd than asked me to trust that he would tune my car in such a manner that I would love driving it. Being skeptical by nature, I did not proceed with blind faith, but I nevertheless gave Todd the latitude he requested to tune my car in a way that would make me happy. I must concede that there were bumps in the road, but I stayed the course.

I am pleased to report that Todd delivered on his promise. My car made 755 AWTQ on EVOMS’ four wheel Mustang dyno (with 100 degree ambient temps). Using 22% drive train loss (18% for manual transmissions + an additional 5% for my Tiptronic), that puts me at approximately 970 TQ at the crank. More importantly, it made 755 AWTQ at a mere 3900 rpms. Previously, with the OEM MAF and tune, my car made peak TQ around 4500 rpms and, as previously stated, you could definitely feel some lag before the boost hit. Now, my TQ hits 600 rpms earlier, and is stronger at all rpms before peaking.

I have had my car back for almost a week now. The TQ is utterly ridiculous. It hits incredibly fast and hard (faster and harder than before), with MUCH less lag. The throttle response is much better. The car is definitely faster than it was before with the OEM MAF and tune. A couple of days ago, I hammered the car from 2 mph, and went 45 degrees sideways within just a few feet. I am having considerable wheel spin issues that may require me to change tires. My PS2s simply cannot handle the increased TQ. When I first drove the car, with well over 40 PSI in all four tires (I didn’t have time to adjust the air pressure), I spun like crazy on hard acceleration.

I am also finding it necessary to change my shifting patterns, as my prior shifting methodology is not conducive to my current power and delivery. If I allow the transmission to shift at redline, as I previously did, I hit the rev limiter and get erratic and prolonged shifts. I had a long talk with Alex (Sharkey) and he has given me some sage advice about better and faster shifting methods that will avoid hitting the rev limiter.

Most importantly, the car with the new Hitachi MAF and tune is an absolute blast to drive around town. The quick and intense power delivery is awesome! 600 rpms makes a tremendous difference in terms of how enjoyable the car is to drive.

Meanwhile, the management of the parking garage adjacent to my office building is threatening to revoke my parking privileges because whenever I drive through the lot, I set off several car alarms.

Finally, I want to thank a few people for their enduring support during the past few months. Thank you Todd Z. for making good on your promise. It was not an easy road and I am not an easy customer, but you committed yourself to my car and, in the end, you came through. I discovered that, contrary to popular misconception, you are not simply a business owner who sits behind a desk directing others. To the contrary, you were in the trenches with my car, taking a very personal role in its tuning, and you exhibited a technical competence during the process that genuinely impressed me. Thank you John (EVOMS) for your enduring efforts on my car. Thank you Dan (EVOMS) for managing the relationship. I cannot thank Joe (TwinT) enough for all his sage advise, assistance, wisdom, hand holding, therapy, etc. I am eternally grateful to you Joe!!! Thank you Sharkey, KPG, Scott and Mark for your advise and wisdom. Finally, many thanks to Todd K. for your support and advice . . . it takes a real mensch (you now know what that word means) to be so supportive and giving to someone who is not your customer.

Regards,

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 AM
TechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Craig, I have made it a point to follow every one of your updates since I joined 6speed, and the progress on your car is truly remarkable. Having a car at the level you have yours, and still enjoying daily drives with 0 issues is icing on the cake. Now the question I'm sure you knew would come up, where do you go from here?

-Markus-

Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Great outcome!

When you spend good dolars you're always a good customer Craig, don't feel bad about getting what you want from those who make a good profit from you.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Glad that it's sorted and in your hands. Must have been frustrating to sit back and read about eveyone's impressions knowing that your turbo is still not ready.

Enjoy it.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Craig,
How I wish you lived in SoCal so I can see that bad boy up close. That is one incredible car. Glad you got it set up the way you wanted. I loved the part about setting off the car alarms.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TechArtDreamer
Craig, I have made it a point to follow every one of your updates since I joined 6speed, and the progress on your car is truly remarkable. Having a car at the level you have yours, and still enjoying daily drives with 0 issues is icing on the cake. Now the question I'm sure you knew would come up, where do you go from here?

-Markus-
Thanks Markus. I must concede that there have been issues along the way . . . some significant. However, it appears to be working out in the end, as my car is presently a thrill to drive.

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Great outcome!

When you spend good dolars you're always a good customer Craig, don't feel bad about getting what you want from those who make a good profit from you.
Thanks Mr. B. I am not feeling bad about getting what I want . . . rather, I am merely thanking those who made it possible.

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Glad that it's sorted and in your hands. Must have been frustrating to sit back and read about eveyone's impressions knowing that your turbo is still not ready.

Enjoy it.
Thanks. More frustrating than you can imagine. We all wish we were the only customer of our tuners, such that we have our tuners' undivided attention 24/7. Thats simply not reality. Patience is a critical component of a project of this nature and, given that patience is not my strong suit, it was rough at times. However, it worked out in the end and the final product is ultimately what it is all about.

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by Onetime
Craig,
How I wish you lived in SoCal so I can see that bad boy up close. That is one incredible car. Glad you got it set up the way you wanted. I loved the part about setting off the car alarms.
Thanks OneTime. FWI, I DO live in SoCal. Let me know the next time you make it to WLA or the SFV.

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Congrats Craig, the car sounds great! To have all of that power so early must be insane + you're still AWD right? AWD burnouts are the coolest

Quick question, you mentioned that you "lost pressure" in one of the cylinders. What was the diagnosis?

Good luck with your new ride. I see another potential 9sec monster on the way, especially with your ability to build boost off the line.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I was waiting for this write up
congrats...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Congrats Craig, the car sounds great! To have all of that power so early must be insane + you're still AWD right? AWD burnouts are the coolest

Quick question, you mentioned that you "lost pressure" in one of the cylinders. What was the diagnosis?

Good luck with your new ride. I see another potential 9sec monster on the way, especially with your ability to build boost off the line.
Thanks Jimmer.

Yes, still AWD.

The lost pressure was due to a bad injector which caused deposits to build up on the exhaust value and prevent it from closing.

My car is almost certainly not a 9 second car. Among other things, my car weighs way too much. I suspect I am at least 600 pounds heavier than Mark's car in its current form and 400 pounds heavier than Scott's car. Moreover, I do not have the top end power that Mark and Scott have due to their 8000 rpm rev limiter and intake cams (my rev limiter is still at 6900 rpms) . . . both Mark and Scott pick up big power above 7000 rpms, whereas I top out at 6900 rpms. Furthermore, my turbos are considerably smaller than Mark's and my AR is smaller than Scott's. Therefore, I seriously doubt that I can hit 9s. I will leave that to the big and svelt dogs. Frankly, I would be pleased with anything less than 10.5. Recall that Sharky did 10.6 in his Tip before he blew his tranny. With the right driver (e.g., Sharky), I shold be faster than that by a decent margin. All I have to do is arrange to meet Sharky at the track.

Regards,

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I was waiting for this write up
congrats...
mark
Thanks Mark. How is your supplemental work coming along? I really think this is going to put you in another dimension!!!

Craig

Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 AM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Craig,
I am glad to hear you have your ride back and that you are happy with what it is producing. You have been patient, all you have to do now is enjoy the hell out of her as she has been on a vacation too long.
Best,
Bajo

Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Craig,

Congratulations. Your description sounds fantastic - especially the 45 degrees sideways part! Enjoy it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 755 AWTQ at 3900 RPMs = A BLAST TO DRIVE