996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch Pedal Gritty - Slave Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
AlanS is infamous around these parts
Clutch Pedal Gritty - Slave Issue?

I have a Turbo with 31,000 miles. Within the last 2000 miles I had the clutch accumulator replaced because it was bad. Recently I noticed when I push in the clutch very quickly the pedal feels gritty and has slightly increased pedal effort. If I push in the clutch pedal slower it feels normal. I notice it especially on heel and toe downshifts, because I push the pedal in faster than an upshift. Could it be the clutch slave cylinder that's going out? Any ideas?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I've had the same feel for some time now.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
my slave & master cylinders went out one after another. in both cases, the pedal feels the same (granted, i do have an aftermarket clutch.) it will push in easily but, towards the floor, it will get harder. the engagement point also seems to change slightly and makes it slightly unpredictable to take off (unless you just give it a ton of gas.)

- chuck

Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
I have the same issue here,how did you guys fix the problem?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I had the same problem - the fix is replacement of the master, slave and accumulator
OR
eliminate all these items and go with the GT2 conversion.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rich in Almaden
I had the same problem - the fix is replacement of the master, slave and accumulator
OR
eliminate all these items and go with the GT2 conversion.
This is what I did. Love it.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have the same issue, LOL. I liked the feel, but if it is bad, I guess replacement parts are on order

Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
this is happening so often on 01-02s it's not even funny! We usually replace the slave etc... and bleed the system again or as Rich said, get rid of the darned system all-to-gether and go GT2 style....

Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Alex-
Are you replacing the master as well or just slave and accumulator? Any way to tell if master is shot?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM
atl123 is infamous around these parts
Mine has had that gritty feel towards the bottom of clutch-travel since I bought with 17k miles, '03. Very unpredictable take-up as well. I attribute part of it to the helper-spring but haven't tried oiling it or removing. Time to check the all those cyllinders...

I remember an earlier thread about GT2 conversion, seemed pretty involved. Can anybody give a price estimate?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atl123
Mine has had that gritty feel towards the bottom of clutch-travel since I bought with 17k miles, '03. Very unpredictable take-up as well. I attribute part of it to the helper-spring but haven't tried oiling it or removing. Time to check the all those cyllinders...

I remember an earlier thread about GT2 conversion, seemed pretty involved. Can anybody give a price estimate?
When I hear the words "unpredictable pedal etc..." that's the slave

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by $manager
Alex-
Are you replacing the master as well or just slave and accumulator? Any way to tell if master is shot?
We've replaced those as well once in a well. do ou have any fluid seeping out from the front filler/resevoir?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
I had the same problem for about 1 year. After one drive, it got worse so I took into local independent shop. They replaced the accumulator to fix it. Dealers in this areas quoted between $850 and $1000, indy was a little over $300 (parts included).

Old 11-28-2007, 02:56 PM
EVO sells the GT2 conversion kit. Give them a call. It's WAY better than the stock unit. Very linear and predictable.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
EVO sells the GT2 conversion kit. Give them a call. It's WAY better than the stock unit. Very linear and predictable.
Yes but it's NOT for panzies In other words you actually get a real clutch/feel and need to use that foot. I hate the way the stocker and hyrdaulic assist feels. It's like it has no "feel".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Gritty - Slave Issue?