996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS 9.67 @ 149.86 - The Video -- Language Advisory - Sorry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Craig, I think you summed it up well, the combo is very well thought of, reminds me of the smart RUF packages designed for fast top speeds. The only thing missing in the equation is gearing. Is this car running stock gears?
What sort of boost does a usual GT800 run?
Thanks
hey jean... a couple of things I remember talking to told todd many moons ago to be fast on the drag strip a) go to a good track (finally he did!) and b) re-gear it.... Never did tho. I'd like to see what the car could do regeared!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evo650
The head is stock. The rev limit has been raised but according to Todd the head is bone stock.
I *thought* I heard that the head was ported, but I absolutely could be mistaken (I did not hear that from anyone at EVOMS). Given the two week build time, head porting seems unlikely. Its scary to think that this car has considerably more potential with head work. Sub 9.5???

Craig

Old 06-10-2007, 06:25 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Powell
Man I'm glad I live in Houston. Baytown gets down in the -1500+ area during the winter. Track thats 10ft above sea level + perfect weather = win

Everyone needs to come down to Houston this winter and raise the bar even more for the P-car world
Hey Dude
I think we all should go down there and run. There is a black GT 800 in the Woodlands, Sean has his hybrid, you have your stage 3.5, and Joe with his GT2. I would like to run my PE700 kit against the GT800 Kit from EVOMS. We can all take turns running.. and good video :-)
Robert

Old 06-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Tito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud of
What Brand of tire did you guys use ? I ask because MT has a new tire that now holds the record, much better that BF drag Radials

Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Craig,

the biggest factor in running a GT800 in the 9's would be HOW MUCH weight
you can strip out of the car. JoeTwint's GT800 should be/is a good example
of that; very strong car (his), very good driver (him), good track (hell he lives in the mecca of good tracks), but his car is not light enough.
The silver test mule (yes "worlds quickest" 996TT!!) must have had
no interior I am guessing. I would think the door panels were gone, carpet,
passenger seat, etc, etc. This would not be considered a "fully equipped"
GT800 right?

MK

Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Craig,

the biggest factor in running a GT800 in the 9's would be HOW MUCH weight
you can strip out of the car. JoeTwint's GT800 should be/is a good example
of that; very strong car (his), very good driver (him), good track (hell he lives in the mecca of good tracks), but his car is not light enough.
The silver test mule (yes "worlds quickest" 996TT!!) must have had
no interior I am guessing. I would think the door panels were gone, carpet,
passenger seat, etc, etc. This would not be considered a "fully equipped"
GT800 right?

MK
Marty,

I agree with you that weight is a significant factor. That being said, I am informed that the EVOMS car had its door panels (I don't know about the passenger seat), and it weighs about the same as Markski's car.

Mark also undertook extensive efforts to lighten his car, including removing door panels, etc. Does that mean 'the biggest factor' (your word) underlying Mark's 10.03 run is weight removal? Does that mean Mark's car is some sort of irregular, non-'fully loaded' car that should be deemed abnormal when it runs a 9 second pass (and it will)?

What do you mean with your 'test mule' characterization? It sounds pejorative to me. It sounds like yet another effort to diminish the car and/or imply that it is irregular. As explained above, the car was nothing more than a depleted dust bucket until a few weeks ago, when EVOMS put it back together. Markski (with Protomotive's and Bobby's extensive and enduring assistance) has spent FAR, FAR more time tweaking his car specifically for 1/4 mile runs. Does that make Mark's car a 'test mule'? When Mark's car runs a 9 second pass, will your congratulations include 'test mule' characterizations and/or emphasize the extensive weight saving efforts?

Craig

Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Marty, don't count out Joe's car just yet. He has yet to make a clean pass at a good track. I suspect he will run very close to a 9 second pass.

Craig

Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
We will see... I am hoping to run a GT800 from Woodlands. I want to post the video, photos and ofcourse the weights of both cars :-)
Robert

Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
If the tranny is the same one that he ran at Vegas we put in a lower gear set. I would assume the tranny is still the same one. I would need to confirm.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Thanks for the honesty, Stephen. It's par for the course with you and very appreciated.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
Marty,

I agree with you that weight is a significant factor. That being said, I am informed that the EVOMS car had its door panels (I don't know about the passenger seat), and it weighs about the same as Markski's car.
Are you sure about that, brother? I was told the EVOMS car is in the 2,700-2,800 lb range...and the entire A/C system has been removed. Not trying to diminish anything...rather, just trying to be accurate.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-10-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Are you sure about that, brother? I was told the EVOMS car is in the 2,700-2,800 lb range...and the entire A/C system has been removed. Not trying to diminish anything...rather, just trying to be accurate.
Accuracy is a good thing and, as you can see, my info/understanding is sometimes inaccurate (e.g., re gearing). I was told that the cars weighs approximately 3000 pounds. Strictly second hand info. 2700 pounds would be extraordinary. What is your source for that estimate?

Craig

Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The car weighs 3K.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Guys,

Thank you for all of the support. I hate to pop in and pop out like this but I limited time to be on the computer until I get back to the office Monday in AZ. I am spending some much needed "Family" time and I promised my wife that I would not spend endless hours on the computer. I have not read through all of this yet to answer all of the questions but here are a few that I saw:

Gearing: 100% Stock 996TT Gearing
Weight: ~3000 pounds with me in the car. I will confirm and weigh the car when I get it back to the shop - IT IS NOT 2400 pounds like the speculations.
Motor Internals: ARP head studs, EVO head gaskets, Carrillo rods, GT3 oil pump. --(Stock heads/cams/pistons)--
Engine Components: 100% off the shelf EVO GT800 tuning system with higher rev limit - Bosch ECU - GIAC Tuned. ~ 25 PSI boost
Power: ~750 RWHP. I am not trying to be vague, however we only had time to put it on the dyno for a few pulls to check the AFR's and that was it. I will dyno it and post the results when I get the car back and on the dyno again.

Please keep in mind that this was a last minute hair brained idea that started out as a conversation with Joetwint and by the end of the conversation it was a plan that had no real planning put into it. I committed to have the cars in NY 2 weeks from when I hung up the phone. Our 996TT needed an engine and transmission and complete tuning system.

When I told John Bray (EVO's master tech) the plan, he looked at me and had one word: DONE! He walked away from me after that one word and started building an engine. Done? I was not sure what he meant but that translated into: I will get it done no matter what. I will not only have the 996TT ready but I will have the 997TT ready as well. John likes challenges and this one was no different than all the other challenges he has endured throughout the long affair with our 996TT. He and this car have a long history and he knew exactly what it needed to get the job done I have to go but I will try and read through the rest of the questions and get them answered when I can before Monday.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
Accuracy is a good thing and, as you can see, my info/understanding is sometimes inaccurate (e.g., re gearing). I was told that the cars weighs approximately 3000 pounds. Strictly second hand info. 2700 pounds would be extraordinary. What is your source for that estimate?

Craig
Craig,
this has been a mystery to me becasue a truck stop scale showed 3080 lbs. and Todd K ( when he corner balanced the car) resulted in 3280 lbs.( no driver)
I only took out the carpets with side panels, put in gt3 seats, and took off front and rear bumpers...( Im also RWD). I put back front and rar sway bars and our axles added another 60 lbs.
The interiror is at most 120 lbs. bumpers I believe 10 lbs each plus the bumperettes about 6 lbs each. GT3 seats saved me maybe 40 lbs.
all this was on stock rims and stock brakes.
I am confident that my car weighs 3300lbs or more.
I have stock gears.
But in this game it does not matter nor is it an excuse. I know it is a good comparison between these 2 cars. we cut a 1.74 60ft. due to the axle issue... Todd cut a 1.59 60( from what I was told). that difference is about .3 seconds in ET. if true, assuming my calculations are correct, the extra 300 lbs is another .3 sec in ET. We ran the car at 19 PSI and shifter at 7500 rpms.
I am being hosest...nor am I looking for excuses... this is great info we all are sharing and in this case it is good to compare our cars.
Kudos to Evoms for a job well executed.
Mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 06-10-2007 at 09:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS 9.67 @ 149.86 - The Video -- Language Advisory - Sorry