996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Day Report... PCA - Shenandoah Circuit - Summit Point WVa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Track Day Report... PCA - Shenandoah Circuit - Summit Point WVa

So there have been a number of folks lately who have had issues with TTs and braking. I suffered brake failure at VIR back in April. Others have reported here and elsewhere that they have suffered brake failure issues.

So today I did four sessions with my new brake duct kit installed:

I also installed them in the rears. The ducts hang in the original factory channels, and draw air from under the lip of the car.

The course:
http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

The Shenandoah circuit is full of blind corners with lots of trail braking, late apexing, and off camber. It's the hardest course I've driven in 20 years of driving. It eats brakes and is hard on tires.

Today I had four 20 minute sessions in 88-90degree days, and I suffered no brake failures. I DID have the "Brake Fluid Low" light come on, and three of the four sessions the PSM code kicked and turned off Traction control, But the brakes performed flawlessly.

I now believe that the issues with these cars is that they suffer from lack of sufficient cool air on the rotors, and lack of great fluid/ pads. I am using SRF Castrol fluid, PAGID Orange pads, and no other mods. I was also running on Michelin PS Cups.

I'll be back at Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point in the morning for a second day, but I'm VERY happy to report that the brakes work, and work well. This ability to brake as expected consistantly has boosted my confidence in the car beyond belief!

Mike

Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
At the beginning of day two I checked my brake fluid level, and low and behold, it was LOW. I went ahead and topped it off, and wouldn't you know, ALL DAY today I had ZERO codes kick off...

It was a GREAT day and a super track. I'll post some in-car footage soon.

Mike