996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How many of you rev-match on the street?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
This just came to mind, hopefully people will respond:

How many of you that rev match have the 2nd gear pop out issue? This is if you ALWAYS rev match yet still developed the horrid 2nd gear problem.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Yes...but there's no really reason to do it in 1st if you plan to come to a stop.
Right. You have to give it one hell of a blip if you want first, usually (if you're coming to a stop), and it's just not worth it. arr0gant: you don't have to work your way down through the gears one at a time. Go 6th->3rd if the situation warrants it... just means your 'blip' has to be a bit longer/harder.

Scott: always. Only other way is to sloooowly let the clutch out in the lower gear, no? I can't imagine taking 5 seconds to downshift for a gear...

Old 06-13-2007, 04:31 PM
3.6TT/2 = 1.8T
Kraftwerk is infamous around these partsKraftwerk is infamous around these parts
I double clutch on almost every downshift, I don't really know why. I started learning by simpling rev-matching single clutch but started trying double-clutching once I learned how, now I almost forget how to single clutch rev-match. It seems alot easier and smoother when I double clutch.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk
I double clutch on almost every downshift, I don't really know why. I started learning by simpling rev-matching single clutch but started trying double-clutching once I learned how, now I almost forget how to single clutch rev-match. It seems alot easier and smoother when I double clutch.
If your smooth with it and it comes naturally to you..no reason to stop. It certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:45 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
When you double clutch you're blipping when the gearbox is in neutral. the blipped reves say up longer so you have smoother downshift. When you are de clutched only, the blipped revs fall a lot faster. You want to compensate by blipping with more R's on a single clutch situation.

If I'm coming to a stoplight or stop sign I just put the car in neutral after 3rd. and use the brakes. Pads are a lot cheaper than the strain that totally unneccesary downshifting puts on the gearbox.

tw

Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM
mkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura about
Do it every time...it was the way I was taught and don't know any different

Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
I need to practice this, I do sometimes, but when I get concious about it, it gets bad! I onlt really do it on turns, stop lights and stop signs I dont bother

Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Heel toe is for downshifting while braking for a turn.

tw
I know what heel-toeing is for... the question was about rev-matching. I would get a laugh out of someone pulling up next to me at a stop light blipping the throttle to go to first or neutral.

Originally Posted by TT Tommy
If I'm coming to a stoplight or stop sign I just put the car in neutral after 3rd. and use the brakes. Pads are a lot cheaper than the strain that totally unneccesary downshifting puts on the gearbox.

tw
I agree with you here 100%. Brake pads are much cheaper... I just hate cleaning out the dust.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I heel and toe downshift into turns, but don't bother coming to a stop/light sign. Brake pads are cheaper than a clutch disc.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i do it aswell
how else would you do a smooth downshift ?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
That's funny. I do it all the time. It's a lot harder for me to do on the track since I don't heel/toe on the street and I'm not usually braking while I do it.

If you think about the amazing number of responses, you can see that TTs tend to wear a lot less syncro than most other makes.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
No offense to anyone but I find it funny that we are discussing this topic. How else would you downshift??? Sloooowly release the clutch as you shift from third to second? The whole reason you downshifted to begin with was, presumably, you needed more power.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:23 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If you are coming to a stop hit the brakes and stop, that's it. No need to be blipping and double clutch and all that garbage if you are coming to a stop. The point of rev matching is to keep the car in the correct rpm range when SLOWING DOWN but still driving.

I am starting to do it all the time now that I have gotten good at it, it's a lot of fun just to hear the motor whine.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
No offense to anyone but I find it funny that we are discussing this topic. How else would you downshift??? Sloooowly release the clutch as you shift from third to second? The whole reason you downshifted to begin with was, presumably, you needed more power.
No, its primarily to slow down.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ashokn225
No, its primarily to slow down.

Brakes are for slowing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many of you rev-match on the street?