996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How many of you rev-match on the street?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
I usually use my clutch to slow down. I thought this thread was about downshifting to slow down, not to speed up. My bad.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ashokn225
I usually use my clutch to slow down. I thought this thread was about downshifting to slow down, not to speed up. My bad.
No worries. But sincerely, you should use your brakes to slow down. Using the friction on the clutch disk is very inefficient as well as costly over time (clutch wear). If you want engine braking to have some control (coming down a long hill), by all means, blip the throttle, rev-match and get in that lower gear, but dont just ease the clutch out without rev-matching.

If you are coming to a complete stop, just use the brakes. Downshifting is not needed at that point (unless you are timing for a green light...but you usually dont want to be the first guy shooting through the intersection anyways).

Old 06-14-2007, 04:23 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
No offense to anyone but I find it funny that we are discussing this topic. How else would you downshift??? Sloooowly release the clutch as you shift from third to second? The whole reason you downshifted to begin with was, presumably, you needed more power.
You might do what 99% of other American drivers do. Downshift without blipping the throttle (i.e., rev-matching). Hence...why I asked.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
You might do what 99% of other American drivers do. Downshift without blipping the throttle (i.e., rev-matching). Hence...why I asked.
99%? I expect that from non-sport car drivers, but not Porsche drivers!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Double-clutching was used to prevent damage mostly to your trannny gears, not your clutch. And these days with the advent of tranny synchros, there's no point in double-clutching, IMO. That is...unless you drive a big-rig.
Even if you drive a big rig theres no need to double clutch (if you know how to shift)unless you are taking your CDL road test.........they make you do it.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
No worries. But sincerely, you should use your brakes to slow down. Using the friction on the clutch disk is very inefficient as well as costly over time (clutch wear). If you want engine braking to have some control (coming down a long hill), by all means, blip the throttle, rev-match and get in that lower gear, but dont just ease the clutch out without rev-matching.

If you are coming to a complete stop, just use the brakes. Downshifting is not needed at that point (unless you are timing for a green light...but you usually dont want to be the first guy shooting through the intersection anyways).
Yeah, when I'm coming to a complete stop, I throw it in neutral and use the brakes, but yeah sometimes I use the friction when just slowing down----prolly not a good idea like you say. It's just a bad habit, because I rarely take my foot off the clutch (even when its not depressed, my foot just kinda hovers over it haha), and I rarely rest it on the dead pedal.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
3.6TT/2 = 1.8T
Kraftwerk is infamous around these partsKraftwerk is infamous around these parts
Ok, question for you single clutch rev-matchers... I find that when I double clutch and am letting the clutch out on the final step to engage the lower gear I can get off it real fast because of the blip. However when I single clutch rev-match I feel myself having to take longer to disengage through the sweet spot because I'm doing a combination of blip and clutch work. I understand that this may be due to inexperience but my question is that of technique.

So do you clutch in > drop a gear > rev/blip while clutch is moving off point of engagement OR do you clutch in > drop a gear > rev/blip > get off the clutch? And I realize you can combine steps as in dropping a gear and blipping simultaneously. When I double clutch I do the latter, almost dumping the clutch when I am finally getting off because I don't need to "equalize" clutch and throttle, but when I single clutch I am doing much more disengaging the clutch while blipping the throttle.

Just curious. I know it's hard to interpret this but I hope some know what I mean. And the better you are the less you probably even notice the order of things.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk
Ok, question for you single clutch rev-matchers... I find that when I double clutch and am letting the clutch out on the final step to engage the lower gear I can get off it real fast because of the blip. However when I single clutch rev-match I feel myself having to take longer to disengage through the sweet spot because I'm doing a combination of blip and clutch work. I understand that this may be due to inexperience but my question is that of technique.

So do you clutch in > drop a gear > rev/blip while clutch is moving off point of engagement OR do you clutch in > drop a gear > rev/blip > get off the clutch? And I realize you can combine steps as in dropping a gear and blipping simultaneously. When I double clutch I do the latter, almost dumping the clutch when I am finally getting off because I don't need to "equalize" clutch and throttle, but when I single clutch I am doing much more disengaging the clutch while blipping the throttle.

Just curious. I know it's hard to interpret this but I hope some know what I mean. And the better you are the less you probably even notice the order of things.
When you single clutch you want to blip just before letting the clutch back out, otherwise your blip de revs too much.

tw

Old 06-14-2007, 05:44 PM
3.6TT/2 = 1.8T
Kraftwerk is infamous around these partsKraftwerk is infamous around these parts
To break down what I meant... When you upshift you have to smooth out the shift by equalizing the clutch and the throttle, so do you do the same thing when you downshift AFTER you blip or do you just blip and let the clutch out and it should be smooth?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
The only reason to heel toe is to go fast or faster through a corner. Its simply an efficient way to select an appropriate lower gear to properly power out of a corner.

If you are compression braking than you are not really doing it properly and I agree with everyone that if you just want to slow down, use the pedal in the middle.

Besides its fun and a cool technique to try and master.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
clutch in
down shift & blip throttle
clutch out

its not rocket science

Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
amenasce is infamous around these parts
Yeah..i learnt driving in an Alfa, that explains a lot

Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
doesn't make a difference what you learned driving in
i learned to drive stick in an original mini

Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
davenew is infamous around these parts
I was just driving home from the store and realized that I do it all of the time. I just never paid attention before.

Pretty funny.
I also have an aluminum flywheel in my S4.. it's noisy at low rpm's but makes rev matching very easy.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by a driving instructor that the reason for rev-matching was to get into the appropriate (lower) gear without "unsettling" the car. This, of course, is very important when setting up for a corner.

As I don't get to the track near as much as I like, I heal-toe downshift every gear at 90%+ of all red lights. It's great practice and it's fun to hear the Europipe burble.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many of you rev-match on the street?