996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch slipping, Should I do the LWFW also?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned
Eric523 is infamous around these parts
The noise is there, you will be able to hear it. The biggest issue i think people have with it is that the guy in the car next to you hears it and thinks you have something wrong with your car. They don't know it's a performance upgrade, neither do chicks...etc. So its a personal preference thing as to whether that will bother you or if you care at all.

Most likely, the exhaust will not cover up the sound as you always be at idle.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM
banditlex is infamous around these parts
the post before this precisely explains the problem. anyone in the car sitting next to you thinks your very expensive car is broken any most likely they will not be sympathetic. You should hear one first since it is a mod you will have to live with once to you do it.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Today, 03:12 PM
banditlex vbmenu_register("postmenu_1159565", true);

had the lwfw on my 01 with an AWE exhaust and loved the feel, but HATED the rattle. You should definitely hear one first before you do it. I just bought another 996tt and am not going to put it on my car. It really depends on how much you drive your car.
Agree...had it on my 993tt and took it off. I loved the feel, but hated the sound. My car is a daily driver and the sound got old. Sitting in traffic with the windows down it echos off the cars beside you and sounds like the car is falling apart. You know it's not and anyone that knows cars will know what it is, but I just found it annoying. Once driving it's fine, but in tight quarters, slower speeds, parking lots, etc. - you will hear it and IMO, it's not what I would call a pleasant mechanical sound. It sounds more like a machine in need of repair...that said, if it doesn't bother you, the throttle response is fantastic!

I just had the option go LWF or stay with the dual mass and I upgraded the pressure plate and disk, while retaining the DMF. I'm very happy with the outcome.

Last edited by John D; 06-14-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
John D 2,

I made the exact same decision as you for the same reasons.
I have retained dual mass flywheel for better feel and no noise.
I hated it in my 993TT.

MK

Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I don't know how it sounds on a 993, but it really is not that bad. I have a cab and I'm quite ****-retentive and it does not bother me one bit. I love the performance side of it...I have never had a single comment about the chatter...too busy gawking at the rest!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Eric523
The noise is there, you will be able to hear it. The biggest issue i think people have with it is that the guy in the car next to you hears it and thinks you have something wrong with your car. They don't know it's a performance upgrade, neither do chicks...etc. So its a personal preference thing as to whether that will bother you or if you care at all.

EXACTLY - Nobody, except EXTREEM enthusiast will understand. It does sound like your car is broken (stone banging around in a garbage can). There is no way the sound can be considered appropriate, unless you are driving a 1972 RSR (cool!). My Europipe XXL doesn't come close to covering up the NOISE. If you are remotely noise sensitive, as you appear to be by your comment about considering EP2Quiet, you're bound to hate it. But the performance is cool.

Last edited by Zippy; 06-14-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
My RUF LWFW and clutch setup has no chatter what so ever, couldnt even tell there was one in there if it werent for the throttle response and free'er rev's.. My friend and member JRGATH also just had his spec stg 3 put in, driveability is hard but no chattering at all either?! Goodluck

Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Like Zippy said, if you hate a noisey tranny don't do it. I went back to a dual mass flywheel and the car sounds like it should rather than an old London taxi cab with 500K miles on it

Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
if you like driving the old diesels you will like the lwfw.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 PM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all your responses. I am now totally confused though. Some say it is not even noticible and others say it sounds horrible and is loud. After talking to Kevin again today I was thinking seriously about doing it. Are there different LWFW's? How is there such a difference in opinions on the sound?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I have experience with some LOUD and HORRIBLE sounding clutch/lwfw setups, so know what they sound like from NA M3's, to FI M3's, to Supra's and even Porsche's

I will say it again, the Spec stg 3 or some sort of spec setup doesnt rattle one bit, and my RUF sounds like stock but doesnt feel it!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:49 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Eric523

damn, i bought this car for chicks?!?!? and the people next to me?!

i guess they are staring at me b/c it's rattling and smoke is pouring out the back (on a long stop light)... oh well... blasting Ratt out the windows probably doesn't help either

the accelerated revving more than makes up for any noise (which is scant.)

- chuck

Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Chuck - You still listening to Ratt? Perhaps a little Twisted Sister too?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
my 6-changer today has Ratt, Pet Shop Boys, Skinny Puppy, Rich Boy, ACDC, and a DJ Rap cd... varied at best (but the Twisted Sister sounds like a good idea - i think i'll throw that on now!)

- chuck

Old 06-15-2007, 04:06 PM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
Well I have decided to go ahead with the whole package including the GT3RS lightweight flywheel. I think I can handle a small amount of noise in exchange for the performance gain. I will post my impression of the noise from it once it is done. Thanks to everyone for your input.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping, Should I do the LWFW also?