996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch slipping, Should I do the LWFW also?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned
Eric523 is infamous around these parts
With ultimate performance as your goal, you will be happy with your decision. Please do let us know what you think when you get it back.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AG996LV
I talked to Kevin again and I am leaning toward just doing it. He says the noise it not that bad, just some people make it seem worse than it is. Now I need to check on install prices here in Vegas. Dealer quoted 22 hrs.

12 hours here.

Best.

JB

Old 06-15-2007, 04:47 PM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
12 hours here.

Best.

JB
I'm skipping the dealer (it's not covered by my CPO warr anyway) and going to my local independant porsche shop that also did the PSS9's and RWD conv for me. They said 15hrs, still seems a little high, but I don't have many other choices here locally.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
I think I was quoted 18 when I did mine. They discounted the labor on the clutch, though, since they already had the engine out.

Not going with GT3 RS set up was the biggest mistake I've made with my car so far. Grr.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
FYI - There is another aspect to the LWF vs. DMF to consider. When I stated my desire to run the fastest 1/4 mile times possible with my new clutch - three of the main tuners on this board (Stephen, Todd K and Todd Z) all told me that my car would be faster in the 1/4 mile with the stock DM flywheel than with the LWF. I found this hard to believe when the first tuner suggested it, so I asked another and got the same answer. Then I got a third opinion. It was only after all three tuners said the same thing that I was convinced it must be true. As explained to me, the inertia of the spinning weight at full throttle catapults the car at each shift and the LWF just doesn't have the momentum to do that - just a little more food for thought. All tuners agreed the LWF was better for road track work, but not for all out acceleration...

Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
FYI - There is another aspect to the LWF vs. DMF to consider. When I stated my desire to run the fastest 1/4 mile times possible with my new clutch - three of the main tuners on this board (Stephen, Todd K and Todd Z) all told me that my car would be faster in the 1/4 mile with the stock DM flywheel than with the LWF. I found this hard to believe when the first tuner suggested it, so I asked another and got the same answer. Then I got a third opinion. It was only after all three tuners said the same thing that I was convinced it must be true. As explained to me, the inertia of the spinning weight at full throttle catapults the car at each shift and the LWF just doesn't have the momentum to do that - just a little more food for thought. All tuners agreed the LWF was better for road track work, but not for all out acceleration...
Interesting and it makes sense for sure, all depends on ones useage i guess. Im more of a shifter/downshifter/road course backroad type of person LOL, so the added acceleration and throttle response is amazing! BUT, even in my ex turbo, the new owner/my friend's LWFW and clutch combo, pulls 10x hard between gears and has that catapult type effect, never once did it feel that way before, dont know!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
As explained to me, the inertia of the spinning weight at full throttle catapults the car at each shift and the LWF just doesn't have the momentum to do that - just a little more food for thought.
I also don't really care about drag racing my P-car as I don't think that is what they are designed for, but I have a question about the above statement...so how do you create the initial momentum? It takes more to get the DMF going doesn't it? Just askin' Mine launches much faster.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:17 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Wross,

From a standing start the car is revved with the clutch in - this creates the spinning flywheel inertia for a stronger launch. Once underway, the momentum is always there in a "full throttle acceleration type run"...so when you shift again and let the clutch out the spinning mass helps it along in the next gear. That's how it was explained to me. Even Sam at Speed Gallery said the same thing. A fourth agreement on this...

Old 06-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
A heavy flywheel does provide extra inertia during a first-gear
clutch-drop sort of start, but as that momentum is turned to
forward motion, the flywheel slows down, and as soon as the
clutch is fully engaged, payback begins. From that point in your
acceleration till redline, a light flywheel will accelerate faster.
Also, in subsequent gears, if you match your RPMs to the gear,
a light flywheel will drop it's RPMs quicker, allowing quicker upshifts
and quicker blips to raise the RPMs during down-shifts.
So, if the majority of your time is spent with the clutch engaged,
or shifting, a light flywheel is faster.
Heavy flywheels are primarily beneficial in startoffs, making it
easier to avoid stalling with too little gas, and they make the motor
a little smoother all the time because they increase the percentage
of the rotating mass that is perfectly balanced.
Joe Weinstein

Old 06-16-2007, 06:41 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks John and Joe...