996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help! Brembo Big Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

This then becomes not a $4000 decision, but an $8000 one .

Marty K.
Yup, because they wont fit, i've got a set of bbs race wheels on the way...There goes another 6k...

Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
HRE Competitions do/will. So if you're looking for a track wheel it's gotta be either one of those, a BBS or a Fikse....

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
all right guys i went today ones again to install my brembo 15inch bbk and its official that the brakes do not clear my wheels even with a 7mm spacer! so who ever tells you that it will fit? its BULL****!!! NOW I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL my wheels come in so i can go for the 3rd time to install my brakes!!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm not sure if this is any help, but factory wheels can acomodate 14-15mm spacers all around with no rolling of the fenders. I have no experience with this as it relates to bigger brakes, but it might be worth a try....

There is another 10mm or so available if you roll the rears and the fronts can be rolled a tiny bit, maybe 2-3mm (they come factory rolled).

I have both 7 and 15 mm spacers sitting around if you want to borrow them.... although I don't have the 60mm wheel bolts you will need. If you're just test fitting, you may be able to try the stock bolts but DON'T try driving with them.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 06-27-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
cab4kw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
In case anybody is wondering, we have the ability to cross reference the Brembo kits against the wheels we sell to see if they work. Brembo also has templates available to use to check the brake kits against your wheels. It's a PDF you print, cut out, and use on the back of your wheel to see if the kit will fit before you buy. Your wheel retailer should have this info available, though. 355mm is tough, and 380mm is almost always a modular to allow enough scoop to clear the caliper corner. Very few wheels will clear.

Damon, where can I get the templates for the 380mm Brembo's. I am having them installed in 2wks and hope it fits my 19x8.5 Champion RG5 monobloc (?what do you mean by almost always needing a modular wheel). It seem to fit fine with the RG5 monobloc??

Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Colby as you know and I explained and showed you the issue is the overall diameter of the caliper and rotor assembly.

The caliper body is to tall to fit a 18" factory wheel.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Colby,

As you are aware I showed you that the caliper and rotor assembly overall diameter is to large to fit inside the 18" Porsche factory wheel barrel.

The main problem is the body of the new 6 piston caliper is much bigger than the standard 6 piston Porsche caliper.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
mine doesnt clear the hub.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:25 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I have heard but have not confirmed that the Stock 8.5 x 18 996 GT2
front wheel will work. Does anybody know definitively if this will go
over the new Brembo 6-pots that Vivid sold us??

Please advise asap, I have track day paid for on July 4th!!!!!

MK

Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

MK
Those wheels fit over the GTR brakes for sure so as I was saying Marty there's a good chance they will. Again not confirmed tho

Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future

MK
I was told that they wouldnt by GMG Motorsports simply because the barrel on the Turbo wheels is the same size as the barrel on the GT2 wheels. Good luck

Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I take it that the Brembo Caliper is the issue, I know a few guys that run a 6pot GT3 Caliper with Brembo Disc in the UK, I run 6pot with 997TT Steels.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Cab4Kw:

The new Brembo 6 pots work fine with the 19" Champions,
that is what I have and just picked up my car and drove it 700 miles,
No wheel or brake problems.

MK

Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Cab4Kw:

The new Brembo 6 pots work fine with the 19" Champions,
that is what I have and just picked up my car and drove it 700 miles,
No wheel or brake problems.

MK
Enough with the brakes Marty,how is that bad boy runnin? Good luck and enjoy.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:13 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
just picked up my car
!!!

Can't wait to read more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Brembo Big Brake Problem