996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help! Brembo Big Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Help! Brembo Big Brake Problem

So i recently purchased the new 14 in mono block 6 piston brembo system for my Turbo and the system doesn't fit under my stock hollows! Does anyone know if this system will fit under a GT2 wheel? Any bright ideas? I'd like to keep my wheels at 18in as i'll be tracking the car a lot but dont want to spend another 6k on an HRE or BBS race wheel... This really suck...

Has anyone else done a brake upgrade under the stock wheels? Which system did you go with?

Last edited by CarNerd; 06-19-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
So i recently purchased the new 14 in mono block 6 piston brembo system for my Turbo and the system doesn't fit under my stock hollows! Does anyone know if this system will fit under a GT2 wheel? Any bright ideas? I'd like to keep my wheels at 18in as i'll be tracking the car a lot but dont want to spend another 6k on an HRE or BBS race wheel... This really suck...

Has anyone else done a brake upgrade under the stock wheels? Which system did you go with?
Our GTR kit would only work with OEM GT2 wheels.

Who did you buy them from? They should have told you that 19" are the safe bet with these brakes.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Wait so will they fit under a GT2 wheel? I was assured by a board sponsor that they would fit under an 18 in wheel but i'm not trying to bad mouth anyone.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Did you get the 355mm or 380mm rotors?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
14" would be the 355 mm, I believe.

I am planning on running my factory wheels with mine on the track,
I was told they will work. I pray that is correct.

Please advise.

Marty K.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Marty, they will NOT work. I got the 355mm rotor and was also told they would fit. In fact we were probably told by the same person...You're going to have to run your Champions. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

It'll fit GT2 wheels but unfortunately not stock wheels. That has been an issue with any of the brembo kits as they don't fit the stockers. This new kit was supposed to but doesn't, which is unfortunate as they would have had a real winner on their hands. You could try a spacer though. I've not worked at all with the new kit as a result

Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
14" would be the 355 mm, I believe.

I am planning on running my factory wheels with mine on the track,
I was told they will work. I pray that is correct.

Please advise.

Marty K.
Hey Marty, I know they don't fit as I've had people call in and ask me if I've had any experience with them as they've not been able to fit their stock wheels You'll need a set of HRE Comps, Fikse or something else custom-made in 18.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
It'll fit GT2 wheels but unfortunately not stock wheels. That has been an issue with any of the brembo kits as they don't fit the stockers. This new kit was supposed to but doesn't, which is unfortunate as they would have had a real winner on their hands. You could try a spacer though. I've not worked at all with the new kit as a result
Hey Alex are you sure they will fit a GT2 wheel? And you mean an OEM GT2 wheel right? Today i was told they wouldnt...

Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Alex are you sure they will fit a GT2 wheel? And you mean an OEM GT2 wheel right? Today i was told they wouldnt...
Hey CarNerd, I've not installed this particular kit yet in large part due to this issue. I know the Brembo GTR kit, which we've done a lot, has worked with OEM GT2 wheels and other 18s with that offset. Looking at your location it seems as though you are possibly up in the bay area? If that's the case I'd be happy to help see if a gt2 wheel fits. I should have my car back next week etc....

Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
is the issue with the diameter (18") or the spoke wheels offset?...if its just the offset, a spacer sould do it...no?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
is the issue with the diameter (18") or the spoke wheels offset?...if its just the offset, a spacer sould do it...no?
Its the diameter, not the offset. It has something to do with the barrel of the oem being to small. I guess the barrell in race wheels are larger.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey CarNerd, I've not installed this particular kit yet in large part due to this issue. I know the Brembo GTR kit, which we've done a lot, has worked with OEM GT2 wheels and other 18s with that offset. Looking at your location it seems as though you are possibly up in the bay area? If that's the case I'd be happy to help see if a gt2 wheel fits. I should have my car back next week etc....
Hey Alex, its Colby. I'd come by but you'd have to install the brakes to see if a GT2 wheel fits as they wont fit under the stockers. I couldnt ask you to install them just to see if they would fit. But thank you. I will be coming by soon to talk about some other things though.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey Alex, its Colby. I'd come by but you'd have to install the brakes to see if a GT2 wheel fits as they wont fit under the stockers. I couldnt ask you to install them just to see if they would fit. But thank you. I will be coming by soon to talk about some other things though.
Hey Colby, I think we've talked before looking forward to meeting you We could certainly compare calipers with the GTRs since we know those work....

Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Sounds good. Depending on what time you close tomorrow i maybe able to come by. I'll be leaving Orange County around 11 so if i'm back in time then i'll definitely stop by. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Brembo Big Brake Problem