996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1/4 Mile and what it means: discussion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott
I hope to see some 1/4 times
Robert

Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by robmd99
Yeah, I know several of these dudes from Ross to Ben and all of them have ran some rediculous times.. But you know what, I know there cars!!!! I know some of them are using TH 400, 3.4 to 3.5 kits and some are spraying 300 shots and more... but I like these guys because they are pushing the envelope and a couple of these guys have been helping me as well!! Come down and see .. please
Robert
What's up with you and the formatting of your posts? Knock it off PLEASE!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Tito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud of
Back on the day we use to run the 1/4 mile and a 1 mile, I can tell you that some of the supras were running over 200mph, at the end of the day "WE" as a community have fail to push the envelope to make this cars fast, expensive, lack of parts, car not design for drag racing, and the list of excuses is endless.

Prime example, our former Crew Chief ( rest in peace) he had a Hyundai, how many people do you know that run Hyundai's ( besides us) at the end of the day, 14 motors later, 7 gear boxes later he manage to and still holds the world record for the fastest Street Hyundai in the world 9.20 @ 151 automatic, 2.0, ford explorer TB, Isuzu Truck intercooler, his own ecu, stock head and the list is very long,

What I'm trying to said is that we are far behind everyone else. the Porsche world is not ready yet to take on the Supras.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tito
Back on the day we use to run the 1/4 mile and a 1 mile, I can tell you that some of the supras were running over 200mph, at the end of the day "WE" as a community have fail to push the envelope to make this cars fast, expensive, lack of parts, car not design for drag racing, and the list of excuses is endless.
At Texas this year our Supra was going 196mph a few feet past the traps according to the motec (I believe it his the traps at 186 but can't remember), I would have to imagine it would take quite a bit of room for a Porsche to make up that kind of distance, if ever on a Supra making 1500-1600HP.

The Porsches are getting quicker and many Supra guys are switching to the 996/997 platform so it's only a matter of time

Last edited by onelove; 06-21-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
The Porsches are getting quicker and many Supra guys are switching to the 996/997 platform so it's only a matter of time
If I want a 1/4 purpose driven car... I would go with a Supra... or My poor evo 8 that runs low 10s on a simple gt35r. My point is, if those guys are swithching then I believe they will get a dose of reality when they realize we don't have AEM standalone.... that we cant tune the cars ourselves... that parts and labor are crazy..... Most P car owners pay at a minimum $12K to 15K just for a Rod install with a gt3 oil pump. I wonder how many times u can rebuild the bottom end on a supra for $15K?
I know of supras well north of 1000 rwhp and I can tell you guys that rebuiding engines of rhtem is like us changing oil every few months( Im assuming these cars are running 9s/8s...)... Im not talking about show cars running low boost and no NOS. Didnt one Supra blow up after the first 1/4 run during the last Supra meet? My point is, it gets very expensive to make a P car fast... even more so reliable... and I dont believe a lot of high HP P cars - those if any running 9s lets say will be reliable....
I'm not picking on SUPRAS.... dont get me wrong guys....
MArkski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 06-21-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
If I want a 1/4 purpose driven car... I would go with a Supra... or My poor evo 8 that runs low 10s on a simple gt35r. My point is, if those guys are swithching then I believe they will get a dose of reality when they realize we don't have AEM standalone.... that we cant tune the cars ourselves... that parts and labor are crazy..... Most P car owners pay at a minimum $12K to 15K just for a Rod install with a gt3 oil pump. I wonder how many times u can rebuild the bottom end on a supra for $15K?
I know of supras well north of 1000 rwhp and I can tell you guys that rebuiding engines of rhtem is like us changing oil every few months( Im assuming these cars are running 9s/8s...)... Im not talking about show cars running low boost and no NOS. Didnt one Supra blow up after the first 1/4 run during the last Supra meet? My point is, it gets very expensive to make a P car fast... even more so reliable... and I dont believe a lot of high HP P cars - those if any running 9s lets say will be reliable....
I'm not picking on SUPRAS.... dont get me wrong guys....
MArkski
My Supra has a M800 Motec (with a plug and play harness developed so that it plugs directly into the stock wiring harness), a $18K Engine Rebuild, a $4,500 Clutch....etc etc. Once you start pushing the limits of anything and being developing your own parts the costs begin to get stagnant regardless of the platform.

I think many Supra guys know how to pay to play, but just as many realize the setup is just as important as making the power (like Darins 9.5 stock longblock/suspension car). There are limitations with the Porsches that need to be surpassed just as there where with the Supras, but it takes people pushing the limits to find them. I've never looked at a 996 as a drag car but apparently many are now that comparisons like these are being made. It's only a matter of time at this point for things to get quicker. Most of those I know ***** are switching just to have a better overall car as a starting platform, but at the end of the day 50-100K in mods is 50-100K spent, regardless of if there is a Toyota or Porsche badge on the front.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
Aerodynamics plays a TREMENDOUS part in all of this...

There are plenty of cars much, much, much faster than my 987 Boxster at low speeds.

However, our Porsches' superior aerodynamics allows us to demolish most of these cars at high speeds, despite a power discrepancy.

Even Cayennes have a cd of .35. AMAZING for an SUV!!!!

Just wanted to stress that. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
My Supra has a M800 Motec (with a plug and play harness developed so that it plugs directly into the stock wiring harness), a $18K Engine Rebuild, a $4,500 Clutch....etc etc. Once you start pushing the limits of anything and being developing your own parts the costs begin to get stagnant regardless of the platform.
Do you 1/4 ur car regularly? run for money? run 300 shot of NOS like the other guys? GM tH400? my point is... guys that do usually can afford to do a rebuild because they make it up with the money they race for... if you don't then you are probably like us- too much money into the car that you do not want to take a chance. A case in Point.... my car is good for 2 bars of boost... I mean that I have fuel til 2 bars. that will put down around 1200 rwhp... but I am scared, and so is my tuner to go past 1.5 /1.6 bars... lift the heads and or blow a headgasket and im in for at least $15K assuming nothing was damaged...
The part that seperates both platforms is the custom tuning that one can do on the Supra... via motec and or AEM, etc.... we do not have that option....
Trust me, it is a whole different game.... we do not have a plug in play Motec.
markski

click to view

Old 06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Trust me, it is a whole different game.... we do not have a plug in play Motec.
markski
I enjoy my car for what it is and its' a street car. I go to meets, go to dyno days, haven't taken it down the 1/4 yet because it's for sale and don't want to risk it as you pointed out. When I take the car out on the street though it's always full tilt 35lbs (about 1,100hp)

As of a 6month ago we did not have a plug and play motec either, so we made one I am not sure what would prevent doing the same in a Porsche but I guess we will find out. I think similar things can be done with the Porsche ECU but its' going to take developing/ implementing some sort of Anti-Lag or 2 step, and using a much better progressive boost control (from what I have read many seem to be using a Profec B which is fine but does not offer the same control as some other options available).

Last edited by onelove; 06-21-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
Yes we use Profec Bs...
but the motronic ecu does not let u do 2 step/antilag... my tuner looked into it. I wish I had it.
Its a lot easier to run a th400 with anitlag and or 2 step programmed into the ecu... give some NOS controlled electronically and ur done... So no, our P cars have a long way to go...
Todd K> did start a 996tt with a M800 box.,... but he didnt like it... it was on Alex D.s car. such a set up has no ac, power windows... etc...
markski

click to view

Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
Being a 996TT owner for years now and laying low, we're working on some new developements and plans are to build a few 996's some that will be more extreme and race like Markski's and some that are 100% street. I like this thread already and enjoy the 6speedonline invitation to participate in this forum.

I'm also a sponsor of TX2k the event and if you guys want to participate in that event I am confident I can make that happen. It brings road course, 60-130, drag, show and shine, dyno all into 1 event in 4 days. Its heald once a year in March.

The reason we have so many events is because of that exact reason with the guys who make big HP and don't have weight or want to drag their cars. The drag course will develop tons of extreme setups that will pass more basic setup's to the street customers that continues the R&D and developement of the car. Right now there is no anti-lag and there are axle issues, in 1-2 years there will be on the shelf parts for these issues just like the Supra developement has been. I'm sure also the horsepower records of today will be common place in 2 years.

Weight and how people drag race and get their records and whether it relates directly to the street will reflect on a companies performance and customers will decide whether they like that path or not with their wallets in purchasing parts. That's how its been in the Supra world for years and i'm sure it will be there with the 996/997. I also can say the Supra guys are migrating or many people have both Supra's and 996/997's and although they are easier to modify now with the development done Supra guys are not shy of spending the big dollar that P cars need. Many are migrating and I have customers with both and that's only expanding.

I bet whether we have a Porsche event or not you will see a bunch of Porsche's at the next Houston TX2k event.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
So it 1000chp usable on the street? It's not too much power or anything?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
So it 1000chp usable on the street? It's not too much power or anything?
With the right tire its not a problem. Obviously you wont' be able to put down all that power at the hit, but using progressive boost control and a sticky tire there is no reason why you can't see full traction in 3rd and even 2nd with that much power or more.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM
How difficult is it to control it all, though, ie, not crash into a wall when blipping the throttle? Sorry, I've never driven a fast car...

Fastest car I've driven was a C6 Corvette on a short test drive

Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
How difficult is it to control it all, though, ie, not crash into a wall when blipping the throttle? Sorry, I've never driven a fast car...
We currently retuned my car and my tuner is scared to do the 60 to 130 on the street... no joke...
So, it can be a handful.
markski

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile and what it means: discussion