996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which silicone boost hoses to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Which silicone boost hoses to buy?

I have searched the forum and reviewed the threads/posts on the various brands of silicone boost hoses on the market, but I'd like to hear from those of you who have installed them as to what your experience with quality, completeness of kit/parts (included O-rings, clamps, etc), and any issues since installation with the various brands, please , to help me make an educated choice.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I got the EVO ones...complete kit, great quality...no problems.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpha
I have searched the forum and reviewed the threads/posts on the various brands of silicone boost hoses on the market, but I'd like to hear from those of you who have installed them as to what your experience with quality, completeness of kit/parts (included O-rings, clamps, etc), and any issues since installation with the various brands, please , to help me make an educated choice.
unless ur pushing over 550 rwhp I do not see why u need to get them...
did u blow any off so far? if not then do not even bother...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I got the EVO ones...complete kit, great quality...no problems.
Thanks for the reply Statman. That's one vote for EVO! I guess my bottom line is: The AP hoses are a few hundred less expensive that EVO, and the Samco are a few hundred more costly -- what's the real world difference in the kits, if any?

This recent thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ght=boost+hose

brought a few issues to mind, such as : Do O-rings come with all kits (maybe not on the AP kit?)?, how about new clamps?, any failures from sustained high boost (at attachment points?)?

I appreciate any specific feedback from all who have these different brand hoses. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:52 AM
kris is infamous around these parts
I have AP hoses, which I got to replace my easrly 2001 factory hoses. I had to remove the O-rings over. I'm not too modded (ECU, exhaust & headers) and they work fine. The only issue I had was blowing the intercooler to turbo hose off at WOT on the Dyno, I don't think it was seated properly.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
if ur not leaking boost then there is no reason for replacing hoses.... unless u want to feel like ur hoses make ur car faster... which they don't.
markski

click to view

sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kris
I have AP hoses, which I got to replace my easrly 2001 factory hoses. I had to remove the O-rings over. I'm not too modded (ECU, exhaust & headers) and they work fine. The only issue I had was blowing the intercooler to turbo hose off at WOT on the Dyno, I don't think it was seated properly.
kris I hope you used "new" o-rings (gaskets) all kits we do use new ones?

Last edited by sharkster; 06-21-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
unless ur pushing over 550 rwhp I do not see why u need to get them...
did u blow any off so far? if not then do not even bother...
markski
Markski -- I'm just ECU flash, nothing more; but I've "heard stories" of people who have blown off hoses or developed leaks or splits with just a flash (or even stock ). I figure I should upgrade them eventually, but I hear what you're saying -- nothing to fix if it isn't broken.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Kris -- Thanks for the reply. It's not reassuring to know that the silicone hoses can also blow at the attachment

Markski -- I have an '01, and am concerned I may be leaking a little boost without throwing a CEL. I don't spend much time in the higher gears at WOT, but I only see peak 0.9 bar at WOT in 2nd and 3rd (Tip) and sustained 0.8 bar. Only uphill in 4th at WOT over 80mph do I see peak 1.0 bar and sustained 0.9 bar. Just paranoid, I guess.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Sometimes if not most often changing out the green O rings for $20 will do the job.
It is all relative... to each his own I guess.

The aftermarket hoses fit tighter thus decreasing boost leaks... but u have to run a lot more boost then .8 bars to even get there.... Usually trying cheap O rings fixes the problem....
Look at the RUf and other german after market cars.. they all use stock hoses.....

click to view

Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
kris is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
kris I hope you used "new" o-rings (gaskets) all kits we do use new ones?
Pretty sure my kit did not come with O-rings and the stockers were swapped over. Maybe I should replace the O-rings?.

Alpha, I'm 1 bar at WOT. I reattached the boost hose and all seems fine now. Honestly, the only reason I replaced them was that I read on the board about the TSB on boost hoses on early 2001 cars and figured why not do them at the same time as the divereters. I agree that you could wait to see if you will ever have a problem with modest mods.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kris
Pretty sure my kit did not come with O-rings and the stockers were swapped over. Maybe I should replace the O-rings?.
i would.. especially if the stock hoses already came out. those gaskets are not designed to be re-used ever....

Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Alpha do you have an X50 car or regular? Also what tune do you have?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
Alpha do you have an X50 car or regular? Also what tune do you have?
Powell -- it's just a K16, no X50 in '01. Bought used a couple of years ago, don't know whose ECU flash it is -- I know, kind of silly, but I have no idea.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I only see .8 sometimes .9 bar with my K16s, but I think its due to the 90+ degree weather and all the humidity.

I was just going back through some old threads and I've seen people say to check the wastegates (like to tighten them a little). I don't know if you want to do that. It was just a post I saw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which silicone boost hoses to buy?