996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Vortex Cones in exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Westwood is infamous around these parts
Vortex Cones in exhaust

Hey Guys, you may have noticed the Fabspeed Generation 3 thread a while back where we started discussing cones to reduce the drone in older versions. I just thought I would share my experiences with my Fabspeed Medium and the installation of cones.

I started by purchasing a set and installing them in the outlet of the muffler since it was a straight shot and I could install the cone facing the exhaust stream. I noticed a nice reduction of decibels but there was still the old drone at around 2100-2400 rpm.

Shark01 suggested I install another set of cones in the inlet. He said that Fabspeed told him it was OK to install them with the cones facing away from the exhaust stream so that they would fit. I cut them at an angle and had them welded in yesterday. I would have to say there was hardly any effect at all!

Bottom line..... if a little drone is OK with you then go ahead and install the cones. I would suggest the outlet of the muffler since that seemed to give me the most reduction. If you seek NO DRONE, then save your money and go for the new Generation 3 since it seems the people that have it are happy.

I should mention that the Vortex instructions say to install the cone pointed into the exhaust stream, and they also say there is only a 2-3 decibel reduction in sound. Not exactly a cure for noise is it?

Roger

Old 06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Well crap, sorry to hear this

I was hoping I could salvage my exhaust using these. BTW, how did you get the cones so fast?

maybe I have to rethink the install strategy, but I'm not sure why the cone direction would matter, and everyone else said to install it upstream of the muffler, which makes sense.

But 3dB loss is more than you think. For example, the difference at WOT for the stock exhaust and the Fabspeed is only 3 dB.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Westwood is infamous around these parts
Hey Shark01, I popped for the Fedex shipment so they came the day after you gave me the lead on Jegs.

I was disappointed too. When I had the first set installed it was really noticable. When you suggested another set I got to thinking if I got a similar result that it would be worth it instead of selling mine and popping for the new generation. But even my wife agreed last night that it pretty much sounded the same.

We can't install them facing upstream because the pipe immediately behind the cat has a radius in it, plus there is no way to weld it in place if the big part was down in the curve.

Perhaps I shouldn't be quite so critical.. because it really is better than the stock medium, but we go for a lot of cruises and the speed limit on the back roads means you are right at around 2100-2300 rpm which is the worst there is. It is too bad there is not a way to wrap the muffler and somehow insulate the sound a little?

Let me know what you think of the Supersport when you get them installed. My first aftermarket was a Supersport that I picked up on Ebay and it sounded cool tooling around town, but on the road it was too loud inside the vehicle so I sold it and bought the Sport.

And then, of course, Fabspeed announced the Generation 3 within two weeks of my purchasing the Sport. Life sucks sometimes!

Roger

Old 06-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I went down the same road and just got rid of the exhaust because it was not what I wanted on my car. The unfortunate part is the waste of time and $$ on the exhaust.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
Well at least you had two weeks between the drone and no drone Fab. I missed it by less than a week LOL! I have gotten somewhat use to it but my wife hates it. I think I am going to make my own exhaust. PS I feel you pain.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
I just found out my cones weren't delivered, or someone stole them off the front porch, so I have to start over.