996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

No 9-second run for me...but I did trap 148 mph:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TRK
Scott,
Thanks for posting... Awesome job... Amazing how much harder the higher power is to drive. You posted a 10.6@136 in your 604/605whp/tq combo, and only another .2 seconds but 12mph better now... It just shows how the entire car needs to evolve to keep up with the engine.

It's just so ironic that I was afraid to deliver the car because it just didn't really "feel" that good...
How do current numbers ( ie known dyno or estimates) compare to earlier numbers? What torque/hp is required to trap 148 ? How does calculation compare to the known facts ?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Red 9
How do current numbers ( ie known dyno or estimates) compare to earlier numbers? What torque/hp is required to trap 148 ? How does calculation compare to the known facts ?
Red,

For a car my weight, it'll take around 800 whp. That can vary with type of car, gearing, tires, etc...but 800 at the wheels is very close to what's needed for any car at 3550 lbs.

The calculation is almost exactly correct.

For my car to trap 160 mph...it should take app. 990 whp. For it to trap 136 (like I did before), it should take app. 600 whp.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-25-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
DMK
Banned
DMK has a spectacular aura aboutDMK has a spectacular aura about
The hell with the quarter I want to see how it plays on the pkwy with something real

Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
DMK
Banned
The whole traction thing down low in the cars is a pain in the ***, Use it like it was designed

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DMK
The hell with the quarter I want to see how it plays on the pkwy with something real
Did you see the M6 video?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Did you see the M6 video?
That is downright abusive!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
LOL...the owner was pretty good about it, though.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
IRT the BFG's, they're awesome IMO, and stickier than the Nitto DR's.

The Nittos are popular because they stick 80% as well as the BFG's, but their tread lasts a much longer time on the street. Plus they drive almost like a standard street tire. Great tires for sure.

The stickier the tire, the worse it is to drive on the street. The stickiest by far are the Mickey Thompson ET Streets that some of the other guys have been using. Great on the strip....but they only come in 17 inces...and they SUCK on the street. They're "street legal"...but I would never run them on the street.
Speaking purely from a drag racing point of view, Nitto 555Rs are dog****. MT ET Street Radials are dog****. BFG drag radials are not much better.

MT ET Streets are good. MT ET Drags are much better.

Wake up and smell the coffee boys, if you want to go drag racing then fit slicks. There's no point in running "how it is on the street" because you are not running on the street. Streets do not offer anywhere near the same traction as a drag strip, so you're kidding yourself that your car can run the equivalent of a 9 second pass on a street.

All this spend on more horsepower will not yeild you as much ET improvement as engineering 15" wheels with slicks and the driveline to handle a hard launch.

To those who harp on about 996 TTs not "meant for drag racing" and how you'd beat a 9 second strip car on the street, oh those grapes are so sour. Your car either runs the ET or it doesn't. All the highway rolls in the world won't change that.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SCM3
Congrats Scott, awesome trap!

Try some 17's and stickier tires, i still cant believe you have any traction till 3rd with those tires! Im testing the MT ET street radials as of now, and they are definitely not as good on the street as the BFG DR's...
Vik, ET Street Radials are no good. MT ET Street are a different kettle of fish. Like I said to you before, you want slicks and that measn 15" wheels.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
Scott,

You must have had those American Iron boys scratching their heads wondering how you went that fast in your POORSH! Any fun comments you can share?
You're missing the point. The muscle car guys would be laughing themselves hoarse that it takes 148 MPH to run a mid 10.

In drag racing, ET is king. High trap speed with relatively poor ET is an embarassment.

This takes nothing away from Scott's skills; the car is on it's shakedown passes and there is more to come. Just get it into perspective from a drag racing point of view.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
nice numbers, i gott 1/4 mile mine...

Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Scott,

Congratulations on the great numbers - that's some serious speed! I was away this weekend watching 4.6 second passes at 320MPH (NHRA Nationals at Englishtown).

Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
DMK
Banned
yeah I seen that m6 video, not to knock it but not even in the same league. I am talking supra, viper, z06, something that has alittle power My M5 is not even close to my cls55, I eat m6's with it not like you but still pull away

Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
The thing I find really amazing is that I somehow did this with only 610 ft lbs of torque at the flywheel....*according to Jean*.

If what you need is a tap on the back to help with the ego thing a bit more, you should have simply said so and I would have posted, congratulations!

Peak torque and trap speed? Maybe there is a peak torque vs. trap speed calculator that you can find on the net and copy/paste here to get you out of your amazement? HP gets you trap speed, your torque peak/spike means nothing to this run.

BTW 1 you should not be surprised by your difference in 60-130mph, the 4.9s being an underwater run, they are not comparable to the numbers you get on the strip maybe….just a thought.

BTW 2 removing the *…* , would make you look more objective with forum members as a moderator, at least in appearance.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not saying anything new here, but WOW! congrats, those were some very impressive traps, which leads me to believe with better tires, better launches and lower temps and you should easily be into the 9's and that's staying heavy. Drop a few hundred lb's and you could easily be mid 9's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No 9-second run for me...but I did trap 148 mph:)