996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Adjusting stock wastegates with K16's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
what's the highest boost anyone can hold or sustain with stock engine internals, i have a stage IV FVD kit and i'm currently seeing 1.2bar with k24/k26 racing turbos. will it be safe to go above 1.2 bar, i.e 1.4 bar.

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
Something is wrong my post was supposed to be the last one

Old 06-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Adjusting stock wastegates with K16's?

Will adjusting stock wastegates with K16's and an ECU flash help me get more low end boost/torque? If yes, then can I do it myself? If so, how? Thanks.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
it may help a little bit... problem is that the stock WG spring is not strong enough to hold higher boost... u can try doing a search for instructions....
a warning... if u screw up ur alignment on ur WGs u will have one turbo working harder then the other.... not good.
I would leave it alone.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Thanks Markski. What if I adjust both with exactly the same number of partial turns, or will that not guarantee the same adjustment due to slight differences in the stiffness of the stock springs?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
You should use a pressure guage when adjusting to set them to the same pressure. If they start to crack open at 12 psi it should give you 1.2 bar. (on a k24) Just get the evo wg's they work great

Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
It will make a small difference in the low to mid punch. I turned mine 2 full turns and it was holding 1.1 bar in 3rd gear (tip) which I was told by many that was too much for a k16 to sustain. I backed off a half turn on both and now it boosts 1.0 with an occasional 1.1 spike and the car runs very well. I was chipped but only boosted .9 consistently before. I agree that using a pressure guage would be better but I did not have one at the time. You do want to be CERTAIN that you are being even. Do a search and you will find how some have made a pressure tester. In short, yes it helps a little, be very careful, don't overdue it as the turbo will go out of its efficiency range and produce too much heat. It will be a bit "snappier". Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks Silver -- I have an ECU flash (also an automatic) and see sustained 0.8 bar, with peaks of 0.9 to 1.0 (and if I'm uphill in 4th at WOT at 85mph I'll see 1.1 for a second). I read the post on how to make a pressure gauge, but I'm pretty mechanically inept. I'm hoping that to "turn the screws" of the wastegate doesn't require much aside from getting under the car and locating the screws to turn. I figure if I keep track of how much I turn each and make sure it is even for both sides, I won't screw it up too badly, but I do understand that using a pressure tester would be the most precise.

I'll search again for instructions on how to DIY (didn't find them on my first search). Thanks for the input.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpha
Thanks Markski. What if I adjust both with exactly the same number of partial turns, or will that not guarantee the same adjustment due to slight differences in the stiffness of the stock springs?
Yes if u think ur up to it.. u can do it..... Im just not sure how mechanically savvy u are so I was being careful.....
good luck
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Yes if u think ur up to it.. u can do it..... Im just not sure how mechanically savvy u are so I was being careful.....
good luck
markski
Markski -- You are correct to question my "mechanical savy", as I have none!

After reading this old thread
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...stegate+adjust

I've decided to leave it alone for now. I don't have the "savy" to adjust with a pressure tester, and I do understand that the turning the screw to change the rod length approach is just a good approximation. I don't want to mess anything up, as the car runs great as it is.

Thanks to all for the input.