996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 vs. 770RWHP Ford GT pt. II(video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
Yes, driver makes a difference but these cars(996 turbo/GT2)strength is at 60 mph on up.(roll ons)Look at Scott's car(Diveextreme)it 60-130's like a 1000rwhp low 9 sec Viper.
Exactly! Believe me, my friend with the FGT knows how to drive and get 100% out of his car.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I guess this quiets all the doubters that Joe jumped the gun in the other video, this is no doubt a drivers race. Some people dont realize the Supercharges take a little bit to get going too, the throttle response IS delayed just like turbos and in the case of the 996 turbo even slower.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
Exactly! Believe me, my friend with the FGT knows how to drive and get 100% out of his car.
I analized the video multiple times and came to the conclusion he is only getting about 93 percent out of it. Based on my calculations, you're about 3 car lenghts behind. Still, that is a fast Gt2!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:54 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Life Dies
I analized the video multiple times and came to the conclusion he is only getting about 93 percent out of it. Based on my calculations, you're about 3 car lenghts behind. Still, that is a fast Gt2!

WTH does that mean??? Analyzed it with what??? And why 93% and not 91%.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:10 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Hope you aren't referring to me as there was no doubting, rather a stating of the facts based on the video posted. As a matter of fact, if you look at this video that is posted (part II):

Race 1: the Porsche starts out a full car length out on the GT and therefore it's hard to tell (based on the GT's engine note) if the Porsche jumped or not, nevertheless, good race... It seems like the GT pulled on the top end...

Race 2: seems like a much more fair start but again it seems unreal that the GT is in it or that he fully knows how to race that car. In any event, in this race, it's clear that the Porsche won.

Just my 0.02 and observations based on the facts. Wish you were closer as I'd like to run you in my Supra!
Peter

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I guess this quiets all the doubters that Joe jumped the gun in the other video, this is no doubt a drivers race. Some people dont realize the Supercharges take a little bit to get going too, the throttle response IS delayed just like turbos and in the case of the 996 turbo even slower.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Life Dies
We thought it might have been closer to 94.267%

Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks!

On paper it would seem that the GT2 wouldn't stand a chance against that FGT, but in a real world race, we see that the cars are much more closely matched. This is the reason that I'm not a fan of magazine or "bench" racing. You really can only compare 2 cars when they are next to each other in the same conditions at the same time.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I dont know man, weird concept.. But in my old turbo i would instantly pull ahead of any Viper i raced, NA with nitrous/friend's Supercharged viper and so on, now even more so when i whooped a Ford GT on the highway last night in the RUF, throttle response is 30% better in this car and spool time.. I guess it's just having it in the right gear at the right MPH!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
Thanks!

On paper it would seem that the GT2 wouldn't stand a chance against that FGT, but in a real world race, we see that the cars are much more closely matched. This is the reason that I'm not a fan of magazine or "bench" racing. You really can only compare 2 cars when they are next to each other in the same conditions at the same time.
I agree Joe. On paper my car doesn't stand a chance against yours but we saw what happened there too. Dyno, mag numbers, etc on the street mean nothing. Like you said the only way to know is to line up the cars so the conditions are the same to see what they can truly do.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by ZLP
I agree Joe. On paper my car doesn't stand a chance against yours but we saw what happened there too. Dyno, mag numbers, etc on the street mean nothing. Like you said the only way to know is to line up the cars so the conditions are the same to see what they can truly do.
Your car is def FAST!! You missed a great event last Saturday!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Have you ever driven a positive displacement supercharged car? There is NO delay in throttle response, even at 2000 RPM.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by houstonT
Race 1: the Porsche starts out a full car length out on the GT and therefore it's hard to tell (based on the GT's engine note) if the Porsche jumped or not, nevertheless, good race... It seems like the GT pulled on the top end...

Race 2: seems like a much more fair start but again it seems unreal that the GT is in it or that he fully knows how to race that car. In any event, in this race, it's clear that the Porsche won.
Peter,
I was in the GT2 during both of these and agree with you that he started a car length ahead in the 1st race.
On the second race however, there was 3 honks and both cars took off at the same time. I had the opportunity to ride with Kurt in the GT as well. What a Beast! The GT’s sweet spot (against the GT2) is definitely from a dig and over 150mph. Which Joe (RTV12) will tell you the GT has him there. Kurt is a very experienced driver who knows how to drive that car well. He had a 900hp SC Viper which he used to consistently run in the 10’s. Definitely a good guy. (I am trying to get him to sign up on here) The proposed 6speed meet in TX next year should be a blast!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Lag with a Whipple? If you consider full boost at 1500 RPM lag, then I guess you are correct!

Great runs guys. Didn't expect to see the GT2 show so well!

Last edited by Zippy; 07-02-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drewTT
agree 100%. too many variables. the numbers can be easily manipulated. i got to hang out with Garret Lim at GIAC the other day. i saw his personal GT700 dyno at 540 to the wheels on his load bearing mustang.....but turn the load off and bam, the numbers start to look much better....
That is also an All wheel drive dyno versus just rear wheel drive which would dyno more like 640 to just the rear wheels.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Luis, thanks for the post! I agree that the GT2 is very very fast, and one of my favorite cars on the board! Thanks for the "in car" review as it's always slightly different being there!!!

In any event, I am VERY seriously thinking about making next year's TX2K8 Supra Nationals more of a joint effort b/w the Supra community and the 6speed community. ALL cars invited but it would be great to have a strong Supra and P-Car showing. Of course ALL OTHER CARS invited too! I guess the first thing I need to do is talk to someone here that could put me in contact with some of the forum sponsors. Can you tell me who "runs and administers" this board?

Thanks,
Peter

Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Peter,
I was in the GT2 during both of these and agree with you that he started a car length ahead in the 1st race.
On the second race however, there was 3 honks and both cars took off at the same time. I had the opportunity to ride with Kurt in the GT as well. What a Beast! The GT’s sweet spot (against the GT2) is definitely from a dig and over 150mph. Which Joe (RTV12) will tell you the GT has him there. Kurt is a very experienced driver who knows how to drive that car well. He had a 900hp SC Viper which he used to consistently run in the 10’s. Definitely a good guy. (I am trying to get him to sign up on here) The proposed 6speed meet in TX next year should be a blast!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 vs. 770RWHP Ford GT pt. II(video)