996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ZO6 Kill...stick a fork in him

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by easyc
Did you take him and his leaf springs into the twisty's?
Why, so the Z06 could have the upper hand?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned
RotaryRacer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by oak
z06 is the best car ever.
I can agree with that

Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned
RotaryRacer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by easyc
Did you take him and his leaf springs into the twisty's?
Your not talking about the C6 zo6 are u?? because it has a race chassis...and is one of the best handling cars onthe road

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
rhudeboye is infamous around these parts
Albeit affordable and pretty common place on the road today, the C6 Z06 has earned its place among many exotics. Go stock for stock w any car under 175K and the Z06 will hold its own. Go dollar for dollar and what can even come close?

I like a little exclusivity in a sports car so its not for me, but it does have my respect on a performance level.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by F**K
Why, so the Z06 could have the upper hand?
You are correct there. I presently (not for much longer) own both. My '07 Z06 will thump my 996TT in the twisties...and the TT has a coilover suspension.

I'm not smart enough to opine on what altitude does to cars that are N/A or one that is boosted but I am smart enough to know that the OP must have found a **** poor driver in order for his lightly modded 996TT to beat a C6Z06. From a dig for an 1/8 mile, I could see the AWD 996TT winning. Any farther than that, the Z will walk that car and from a 30,40,60 roll...it would be the same story.

Last edited by amerlemans; 07-02-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
You are correct there. I presently (not for much longer) own both. My '07 Z06 will thump my 996TT in the twisties...and the TT has a coilover suspension.

I'm not smart enough to opine on what altitude does to cars that are N/A or one that is boosted but I am smart enough to know that the OP must have found a **** poor driver in order for his lightly modded 996TT to beat a C6Z06. From a dig for an 1/8 mile, I could see the AWD 996TT winning. Any farther than that, the Z will walk that car and from a 30,40,60 roll...it would be the same story.
I have to agree, that is what I would think, but anything can happen on the street, and sadly many people think that just because they have the fastest car, they are going to win al the time, sadly that is not true.

Edit, just saw you have coilovers and the TT can be a very formidable opponent with them as it can get on the power out of corners much quicker. Dont underestimate it, most people just dont know how to push one. On street tires a light or mildly modded 996 TT can give a Z06 a run for it's money or even spank it badly, ask me how I know.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-02-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Is the z06 that much lighter than the 996TT? I guess I just dont get why they are considered so much faster than a Stage 4 that should be in theory pumping out what 550-600 crank hp?

I am not really a fan of the vette - sqeezing 480hp out of a 3.8 is pretty cool, 505 out of a 7.2 is old technology...imho..

Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cohare
Is the z06 that much lighter than the 996TT? I guess I just dont get why they are considered so much faster than a Stage 4 that should be in theory pumping out what 550-600 crank hp?

I am not really a fan of the vette - sqeezing 480hp out of a 3.8 is pretty cool, 505 out of a 7.2 is old technology...imho..
The stock Z06 shouldnt be faster than a stage 4 if it is you got robbed.

I see what you're saying but squeezing 500 out of a 7.2 with less weight than the 3.6's that Porsche uses is some serious technology, and awesome gas mileage to boot (in fact I dont think there is a gas guz tax for the Z06 and if it is, it was very close because they get great gas mileage) The concept is old but the technology is far from it.

Porsche needs a 911 with a V8, get to it Porsche!!!! The 3 liter motors are about to the end of their time, and have already gotten surpased by several makers and will continue to fall down the list. Small flat 6's will not keep up for much longer.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RotaryRacer
Your not talking about the C6 zo6 are u?? because it has a race chassis...and is one of the best handling cars onthe road

What in the world are you talking about??? The z06 is not built on a 'race chassis' and is by far not one of the 'best handling cars' on the road..but then again, you z06 guys thing you are Ron Fellows at D.E.s...so whatever.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
ron fellows. he's my hero.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !

The C6Z weighs in at 3,100 lbs.

They are not squeezing 480hp out of a 3.8 litre engine. They are squeezing 480hp out of a 3.8 litre engine with two turbos tied to it.

I suppose you think a true drysump oil system, carbon fiber fenders, titanium connecting rods, and a magnesium engine cradle is old technology

I love them both and am not dissing the 996TT at all but some of you on here really seem to have trouble giving credit where it is due. Whether you like the car or not, it is quite a piece of machinery. Is it the end all/be all of todays performance cars? No.......is it worthy of the accolades it has received thus far? Hell yes.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I want BOTH. The Z06 is a great car and I'm going get one someday and park it right next to my 996TT.

Monogamy and cars don't work!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
More accurate comparison and value argument is ZO6 vs. GT3.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by amerlemans
The C6Z weighs in at 3,100 lbs.

They are not squeezing 480hp out of a 3.8 litre engine. They are squeezing 480hp out of a 3.8 litre engine with two turbos tied to it.

I suppose you think a true drysump oil system, carbon fiber fenders, titanium connecting rods, and a magnesium engine cradle is old technology

Whether you like the car or not, it is quite a piece of machinery. Is it the end all/be all of todays performance cars? No.......is it worthy of the accolades it has received thus far? Hell yes.
Completely agree on all fronts. I have always just been impressed with doing more with less, with or with out turbos. I guess I have more of an issue with GM's way of making more power aside from the Zo6. Ie 5.7 liter in an impala SS makes 300 hp. are you serious? Infiniti G35 V6 3.5 NA motor makes more than 300 hp...Also, the C6 MPG is a little off because they use the skip shift (not saying Pcars get good mileage because they DONT) which totally boggles my mind.

Z06 is a VERY impressive performance car, just because it is not for me doesnt really mean sh** in the world of cars now does it. To each his own... I am sure they are a blast to drive and if I pulled up next to one I am sure they would hand me my A$$.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Completely agree on all fronts. I have always just been impressed with doing more with less, with or with out turbos. I guess I have more of an issue with GM's way of making more power aside from the Zo6. Ie 5.7 liter in an impala SS makes 300 hp. are you serious? Infiniti G35 V6 3.5 NA motor makes more than 300 hp...Also, the C6 MPG is a little off because they use the skip shift (not saying Pcars get good mileage because they DONT) which totally boggles my mind.

Z06 is a VERY impressive performance car, just because it is not for me doesnt really mean sh** in the world of cars now does it. To each his own... I am sure they are a blast to drive and if I pulled up next to one I am sure they would hand me my A$$.
The american market is the biggest tuner market in the world, chevy gears their cars towards that, V6 sports cars (other than the v6 wusstang) dont sell here. They cant compete, try getting power out of those G motors, they max out at like 400 whp which is pathetic. Most american cars are detuned and acheive great rewards from aftermarket tuning for NA/SC cars. That's what American Muscle was built on, MORE POWER.

Also GM has now 7 years 100k miles warranty, I would think they would use the safest method of keeping those warranties without going under. There is no replacement for displacement, especially when it's still lighter and more fuel efficient than the V6's. The Z06's technology owns anything the Porsche has made in terms of is ability/mileage. As for the rest of the car, there is still much to be desired.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ZO6 Kill...stick a fork in him