996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ZO6 Kill...stick a fork in him

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
45otto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by amerlemans
You are correct there. I presently (not for much longer) own both. My '07 Z06 will thump my 996TT in the twisties...and the TT has a coilover suspension.

I'm not smart enough to opine on what altitude does to cars that are N/A or one that is boosted but I am smart enough to know that the OP must have found a **** poor driver in order for his lightly modded 996TT to beat a C6Z06. From a dig for an 1/8 mile, I could see the AWD 996TT winning. Any farther than that, the Z will walk that car and from a 30,40,60 roll...it would be the same story.
Ya, you are right I made it all up?? WTF?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
I was on my way to Laguna Seca for a Grand Am race last month.
Heading down the 5 n just before The turnoff for Buttonwillow exit.
The sun was JUST coming up. I was at cuusing at 125 and just enjoying the sunrise.
Glanced in the mirrors and saw some headlights that were gaining.
The lights were low to the ground so I knew I was in good company.
I had some early Van Halen blasting so I turned it down a bit.
He pulled up and smiled.
Time to go.
He played to about 170.
Looked over and smiled.
Gone.
My buddy looks over and sez that zo6 was fuc*in fast.
chip on the way

tw

Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
Would a 996 tt with just a chip be able to take a Z06?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
I'll let you know.

tw

Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
NO. unless it's an X-50

Takes upgraded turbos and chip at least.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
No, but a stage 4 will..........

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM
you guys are so f'n hard on my wallet!!!

tw

Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 45otto
Ya, you are right I made it all up?? WTF?

Please tell me where in the hell I said you made anything up?

I did not question the outcome of the races. In fact I said I did not know how non N/A cars react in higher altitudes. In normal driving situations with comparable drivers a C6Z will walk your car with the mods you have. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by amerlemans; 07-02-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Please tell me where in the hell I said you made anything up?

I did not question the outcome of the races. In fact I said I did not know how non N/A cars react in higher altitudes. In normal driving situations with comparable drivers a C6Z will walk your car with the mods you have. Nothing more, nothing less.
There is no garauntee of that, a avg to weaker motor Z06 vs a stronger motored Turbo with Exhaust, chip, etc could be right on par with each other. For every person that traps 125 there are ten more that trap 118-121, especially in altitude. My car blows by stock Z06's so I imagine his car may be able to keep up, not likely, but not impossible.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I am on the track nearly every weekend I go with new Z06's. I am usually the only TT and there are always 3-5 covettes. Awesome car. My car (our car) with flashed X-50, straight pipes, 6 piston Brembos up front with ducts and upgraded suspension makes "us" equal to the new Z06 on the track. Nothing more, nothing less. My experience, your results may vary!
Sure makes for fun weekends!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
The Z06 is faster than a stock 996TT no matter how you look at, but you're comparing different generations and sorry even a C2 is still a Porsche and not a Chevy.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I am on the track nearly every weekend I go with new Z06's. I am usually the only TT and there are always 3-5 covettes. Awesome car. My car (our car) with flashed X-50, straight pipes, 6 piston Brembos up front with ducts and upgraded suspension makes "us" equal to the new Z06 on the track. Nothing more, nothing less. My experience, your results may vary!
Sure makes for fun weekends!!!

I agree, if not faster, I walk Z06's a lot on track (until that one time I went RWD, then we were even). There are always going to be some extras needed if your car weighs more and has less power. I've beat a modded Z06 on hoosiers with a very good driver and I had old Pzeros so whoever says the turbo is not a track car doesnt know a thing. the best is when they try the old slow corner and then blast the straight thinking they'll keep you from passing and you pass them anyways, LOVE IT.

But for the money, which at todays costs you can get all of that for the cost of a Z06, you get a STRONG, RELIABLE car on the track, you cant even come close to saying that about the Z. It's the uber track car that hates the track. One guy just had his whole warranty voided because he went in to have the brakes fixed after they failed at an HPDE. THE WHOLE WARRANTY, CANCELLED. And GM is cracking down on that too. I guess that's not much worse than the overrevs from porsche but good gracious.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-03-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
NOT! Sorry guys, we have exclusive, pretty, sexy cars, but the disposable razor (Z06) just got 7 blades and TWO lubricating strips. It is the real deal. Get used to it. It really is OK.

Tom, the track is a different story altogether. I would get get lapped by Teutonictrio in his Boxster S. It's 90% skill, 10% driver. And you my man, have a LOT of experience. I'm just learning to keep my boot in it to keep the *** from coming around, but boy is it FUN! The rear engine cars are hoot and a half once you get used to the peculiar but absolutely enjoyable manner. Who cares if it's faster or slower. We're not fender racing at the track.

BTW these cars are truly bulletproof. There is no other car that has been so over-engineered to take it.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-03-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Spidermonkey is infamous around these parts
I can't believe people still actually have this conversation. Who the **** cares? I'm beginning to think most people in this forum are about 14 years old and the adults that are here just buy cars as status symbols. Is there a forum for real drivers somewhere?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 AM
FNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Spidermonkey
I can't believe people still actually have this conversation. Who the **** cares? I'm beginning to think most people in this forum are about 14 years old and the adults that are here just buy cars as status symbols. Is there a forum for real drivers somewhere?
Took the words right out of my freaking mouth...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ZO6 Kill...stick a fork in him