996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgraded Turbo HP. What should I be putting down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Heavy,because you did not remove the diff when you did the conversion you still have the front axles connected to the diff,so when the front wheels are turning they are turning all the little gears,shafts,and bearings through the diff fluid..........may not seem like much but every bit helps......espescially on a timed course.Also the car would need to be properly corner balanced and be running a LSD to be effective in RWD.There also would be a driver learning curve......one could not expect to go out on the first lap and cut a faster lap because the car would behave differently than before.

Hey Scott, maybe we should start a new thread so that we don't hijack the OP thread........I don't think it is gonna end anytime soon LOL.
Finally, something that makes sense!!!!! That could completely be true but how does the difference in drag relate to the same power being produced at the front wheels, not disagreeing, just want to know. Isnt the power that was once being used to turn those wheels now being used "more effectively" at the rear therefore eliminating that as a hinderance in comparison to AWD? I'm using apples to apples here as best I can.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Finally, something that makes sense!!!!!
Dude..I said that already...twice (as seen below). You're just like my wife. You'll ignore what I say...but if someone says the same thing, you all of the sudden pay attention.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Maybe your failure to remove the front differential and half-shafts caused enough parasitic drag that it overcame the weight benefit of removing the front driveshaft...thus making acceleration worse than if had you left AWD in place?

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Either your failure to remove the front diff and half shafts added more drivetrain loss than when the car was turning the front wheels on its own in AWD
Originally Posted by heavychevy
That could completely be true but how does the difference in drag relate to the same power being produced at the front wheels.
Hard to say. But that's been my point all along. If the conversion wasn't done properly...it's very hard to tell what the heck was really going on with your car. It's extremely difficult to troubleshoot something like this, since most people that do a RWD conversion do a full-conversion, not just a part-conversion like you did.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-05-2007 at 03:30 PM.