996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

silicon hoses upgrade - do it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
kayman is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up silicon hoses upgrade - do it!

The other day, I was driving down the highway and started to pass a truck. All of a sudden I heard a loud pop and my car started loosing power. I pulled over and found that the passenger side IC boost hose and blown off. I ended up having the car towed to my shop and decided it was a good time to do the silicon hose upgrade.

Before the upgrade, the highest I was seeing was 1.0-1.1 bar sustained with spikes of 1.2. After having the new evoms silicon hoses installed, I'm now seeing 1.1-1.2 bar with spikes of 1.3. This is with no other adjustments. It's surprising that the stock hoses are so ****ty. Not only are the connections weak, but they leak boost like crazy. I've also noticed a slight improvement in throttle response after having the new hoses installed. Overall, I think this is one of my favorite mods. Not only are the new hoses a much needed upgrade, they look awesome too. The red IC hoses are actually noticeable from the rear of the car and really add a nice touch of color. Not to mention, the engine compartment looks great too. If you havn't done this mod yet... I HIGHLY recommend you get it done!

Last edited by kayman; 07-07-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
wow. more boost with silicone. funny.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kayman
The other day, I was driving down the highway and started to pass a truck. All of a sudden I heard a loud pop and my car started loosing power. I pulled over and found that the passenger side IC boost hose and blown off. I ended up having the car towed to my shop and decided it was a good time to do the silicon hose upgrade.

Before the upgrade, the highest I was seeing was 1.0-1.1 bar sustained with spikes of 1.2. After having the new evoms silicon hoses installed, I'm now seeing 1.1-1.2 bar with spikes of 1.3. This is with no other adjustments. It's surprising that the stock hoses are so ****ty. Not only are the connections weak, but they leak boost like crazy. I've also noticed a slight improvement in throttle response after having the new hoses installed. Overall, I think this is one of my favorite mods. Not only are the new hoses a much needed upgrade, they look awesome too. The red IC hoses are actually noticeable from the rear of the car and really add a nice touch of color. Not to mention, the engine compartment looks great too. If you havn't done this mod yet... I HIGHLY recommend you get it done!
A lot of times they arent even properly connected. You may have had hoses that only had one side of the connector clip in properly. I had it happen and made sure I heard a click twice every time I installed my hoses and never had a prob since and i was running 1.3 bar with LOTS of track time...

Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 PM
yeah its possible that my stock hoses were loose. But I've also read that they can leak a little boost anyway.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:10 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kayman
yeah its possible that my stock hoses were loose. But I've also read that they can leak a little boost anyway.
Who knows, but I am putting mine to the ultimate test. I am going to run mine at 8K rpm and about 1.4-1.5 bar with lots power. If they stay on then the whole hoses thing is overblown. I am going to solder the clip end tabs so the cannot bend in.We will see. kevin

Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by KPG
A lot of times they arent even properly connected. You may have had hoses that only had one side of the connector clip in properly. I had it happen and made sure I heard a click twice every time I installed my hoses and never had a prob since and i was running 1.3 bar with LOTS of track time...
Can you explain futher to a boost hose noob? I feel like I have a leak and want to make sure the hoses are connected correctly. Do you need to take the rear bumper off to make sure?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:56 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by cohare
Can you explain futher to a boost hose noob? I feel like I have a leak and want to make sure the hoses are connected correctly. Do you need to take the rear bumper off to make sure?
To be prefectly sure yes, but you can use a flashlight to look down the fender well. The key is to make sure the metal clips are in the Y pipe and the IC ends before you push the hoses in. You MUST...MUST hear 2 clicks per connection or it will pull one end out and have a leak but may not set a code. Removing the bumper is real easy. I keep the tools to do it in my car just in case and can do it on the side of the road in less than 10 minutes... You need a torx, long extension for the torx to get in the bumperretes,philips head and a socket for some wheel well liner screws...No prob...Just remember 2 clicks...

Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
I installed the Evoms silicone hoses a while ago,I was very carefull to put them in till I heard 2 clicks but under full boost 1.2 bar they always managed to become loose a little bit.I finally got tired of taking my bumper of so a drilled a hole in the IC and the metal piece of the hoses and put in a screw.No problems for me anymore..

Old 07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
evoms claims that their hoses have been tested up to 30 PSI... so how is it that they are still blowing off?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
drilled a hole in the ic's? just to keep the hose ends from coming off? something is not right. I think you may have created other issues.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
No everything is perfekt but it's difficult for me to explain in English but I'll try,hope you understand:
I drilled a small hole in the intercoolers and in the metal piece that sticks on the silicone hoose.I tapped wire into the metal piece ,than I put the metal piece in the IC and screwed a screw in it and put some locktide glue so the screw can not get loose anymore.Then I put the hose on the metal piece using clamps you can screw together.You have to make the large hole in the motor compartment where the silicone hoose go's through larger because otherwise you can not use aftermarket clamps.So the metal piece can not come out anymore from the IC but with the aftermarket clamps I can always remove the hose from the metal piece and change them if needed.Difficult for me to explain ,I should have taken some pictures..

Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 AM
ggarza007 is infamous around these parts
What did you pay for the silicone hose kit and what did they charge you to have them installed.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 AM
I bought mine a wile ago on ebay and payed them 650$ (evoms hoses)
I did the instal myselve...