996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

B&M Short Shifter -Install Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004 | 02:19 PM
|
TTech is infamous around these parts
Question B&M Short Shifter -Install Question

Hello All,
I am going to put in my B&M tonight...I have read the supplied instructions and I have also been looking on the board for info on the install...It seems that I need to mark some rods after taking them out...Can somebody show me a picture or tell me what exactly needs to be marked...Is it the rods in step 18 of the instructions??Please help..Any suggestions would be greatly apprecialted...I am in the Sacramento area ...Thanks to all...TTECH

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:06 PM
DaveMo is infamous around these partsDaveMo is infamous around these parts
When you open up the center console, you will see the cables are inside of what we call threaded barrels. You will be removing the cables from the threaded barrels, but before you do mark the position of the cables on the outside of the barrels with whiteout or nail polish. Then you will know exactly where to put them back. The barrels are enclosed about 300 degrees with a small opening to slip out the cable.

One other item - when you slip off the center console, cover the handbrake with something. It's real easy to scratch ot tear the leather.

I'll be home about 5:30 - If you have any questions, shoot me an email with a number and I can call you.
Dave
dmosesson@adelphia.net

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:26 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
It seems that I need to mark some rods after taking them out
I just did the B&M install. You can mark the cable if you want, or you can just count the number of threads from the base of the connector to the base of the threaded end of the cable. I saw a picture posted somewhere, and both cables in the picture were in exactly the same position, thread wise, as my cables.

The B&M shifter has been a world class improvement! I'm blown away by how well the car shifts now.

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:51 PM
|
Thanks Dave & Doc,
This really is helpful...Any other suggestions out there...Pictures?...I can't wait to get home and get started...TTECH

Old 04-13-2004 | 05:00 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Any other suggestions out there
Getting the factory bushings out is a breeze if you use a chisel and a hammer to tap the tabs off.

It's really a very easy installation.

Old 04-13-2004 | 05:33 PM
dilly is infamous around these parts
Yep,

Piece a cake. I didn't even mark the cables and it went in perfectly. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:10 AM
|
B&M install is a Success...Only one small cut on the hand and a few drops of blood when removing the seat heater plugs... Thanks everybody for the helpful tips...The supplied instructions are really well done...I used the count the threads from the bottom technique...The car shifts alot firmer and positive...I really haven/t driven it alot yet...I think that I will take some getting use to...Once again...Thanks....TTECH

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:14 AM
|
Oh Yea,,

Install time = 2 hours and 5 min... Difficulty Level=3/10

TTech.

Old 04-14-2004 | 07:44 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
What would you rate yourself on the "mechanically inclined scale"? I would rate myself 1/10 so I'm not even sure I could handle this. =(

- KJ

Old 04-14-2004 | 09:49 AM
|
KJM3,
Seriously I believe that I may be a 5/10... Well compaired to Cary Eisenlohr I might be a 2/10...This really is a do it yourself project...If you can build a simple model or put together a childs bike on X-mas eve you can tackel this project...Just get a buddie to hold your hand and make sure that everything goes back into the same spot that it came out of...Hope this helps...The car does feel different....More Sporty...

TTech