996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension and Driveway Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:28 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Suspension and Driveway Problem

Hi Everyone:

Just purchased an '03 TT Coupe (AS/Black). Only 3900 miles on it. It's an amazing vehicle...but it's time for some mods! In particular, I am looking to put some Black 19" TechArts on the beast and PSS9's. The issue is that I have a very steep driveway and getting the car in and out of the garage is already a chore (this problem will become worse as the car is lowered). Serious front end and rear damage will occur. Does anyone have some cutting edge invention that can assist me with this (maybe you know someone who can build a removeable ramp, etc). Any help is greatly appreciated. This forum is awesome!

Thanks...

BTW...pics to follow shortly....

Old 04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
If you can't get a special ramp, try a C4S front lip, it gives you more clearance.
Here is what it looks like on a Turbo.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:44 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Is the C4S lip flexible?

Old 04-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by ebaker
Is the C4S lip flexible?
A little.

Old 04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Tuuner, In most cases people figure out the clearance that they will need and they make ramps out of wood to provide such.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
how steep is your driveway?

Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine had the same issue... not sure if it's logistically feasible for you, but the short of it is simply to repave the problem area. In his case, he simply had to grind down and smooth out the driveway entry way... an easy few hundred dollars took care of his problem. Good luck.

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti
455rwhp, 505rwtq

Old 04-14-2004, 07:52 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
I have this exact problem. My drive-way probable goes up 8 feet in a 25 foot distance. I cut the bottom section out and 'fanned' it out while really smoothing the transition from the street to the drive-way. Now I approach the drive at an acute angle until my left front tire is on it. Then I turn pretty hard left and sweep up the fanned portion.

Interestingly, while my left front tire is on the drive and the rest of the car is still on the street, my right front tire is 3-4 inches off the ground. My neighbors love it :-)

Old 04-14-2004, 08:47 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Old 04-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Happy Now?
Now this is dedication!!!!

Originally posted by KPV
Watt, you crack me up!!! LMAO!

If you guys could see what it takes for me to get my damn car out, you would jump off a bridge.
It is stored on the lift so this is the routine:
  1. Move MINI Cooper out of garage
  2. Lower lift
  3. Place wood ramps on driveway apron
  4. Place metal ramps between wood ramps and end of lift runways.
  5. Get in car
  6. Back car out of garage
  7. Get out of car
  8. Take wood ramps to end of driveway (a hike) and place from driveway onto road (due to absence of final pavement course)
  9. Walk back to garage (another hike)
  10. Get in car
  11. Back car down driveway to ramps
  12. Get out of car
  13. Align ramps with tires
  14. Get in car
  15. Back car off driveway
  16. Get out of car
  17. Move ramps onto driveway to prevent other drivers from hitting them when passing by.
  18. Get back in car
  19. Drive off.

Welcome to my "low-clearance" world!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 09:20 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by BartN (TX)

Interestingly, while my left front tire is on the drive and the rest of the car is still on the street, my right front tire is 3-4 inches off the ground. My neighbors love it :-)
that happens to me but it's my rear tire, the thing gets like 6-7" in mid air

Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm gonna be taking some measurements soon and I will give you the details. It's amazing what we will do in order to drive the P-Car!