996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mods on Warranty Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Dragon911TT is infamous around these parts
Mods - Warranty Concerns & Questions

Will a Stage 3 Evoms X50 kit void the warranty? I know the technical answer is probably yes... but I looking for loopholes here.. If I were to use their software unloader/stock toggle is the ECU detectable by the dealer? If it's not, then I can't see how exhaust, diverter valves and air filter can void a warranty? Are headers safe? Are they worth it on an X50?

Second part - Being that this is my first Porsche, I am obviously concerned with stuff breaking because I am not familiar with it. Can I expect things to break on this car without abuse?

Thanks for your help. I really want the stage 3 kit but not at the expense having to buy a new motor....

Last edited by Dragon911TT; 07-10-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dragon911TT
Will a Stage 3 Evoms X50 kit void the warranty? I know the technical answer is probably yes... but I looking for loopholes here.. If I were to use their software unloader/stock toggle is the ECU detectable by the dealer? If it's not, then I can't see how exhaust, diverter valves and air filter can void a warranty? Are headers safe? Are they worth it on an X50?

Second part - Being that this is my first Porsche, I am obviously concerned with stuff breaking because I am not familiar with it. Can I expect things to break on this car without abuse?

Thanks for your help. I really want the stage 3 kit but not at the expense having to buy a new motor....
Typically a dealer will not void the entire warranty. They may void parts that could lead to the cause/failure of another part.

All vehicles require maintenance, break. It is a fact of life. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. But, always be prepared for the worst.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
kayman is infamous around these parts
some dealers are mod friendly, others arn't. But if your entire motor is shot, you can bet they'll find a way to blame the mods.

Last edited by kayman; 07-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
AzExoticLover is infamous around these partsAzExoticLover is infamous around these parts
I have an 2001 and its pretty modified, Nothing broken yet. These cars are VERY durable!!!

I also had a 2003 EVOMS Stage 4 and it was under warranty and I never had 1 problem with the Dealership and warranty. Being that I am in Az and EVOMS is in Az, the dealership knew that they do VERY good work and never hassled me.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by AzExoticLover
I have an 2001 and its pretty modified, Nothing broken yet. These cars are VERY durable!!!

I also had a 2003 EVOMS Stage 4 and it was under warranty and I never had 1 problem with the Dealership and warranty. Being that I am in Az and EVOMS is in Az, the dealership knew that they do VERY good work and never hassled me.
Thanks. So you sold your EVOMS TT and now have a Promotive TT? Would you recommend going with Promotive?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks. So you sold your EVOMS TT and now have a Promotive TT? Would you recommend going with Promotive?
It's Protomotive. Talk to the tuners and decide for yourself.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 AM
AzExoticLover is infamous around these partsAzExoticLover is infamous around these parts
Honestly, they are both great! It just so happened that when I was back in the market for a 996TT again in December, I found this one and it was a protomotive car. Actually it's a Protomotive/EVOMS car now. It has alot of EVOMS stuff on it and is worked on by EVOMS only. It's a joint effort I guess: Evoms & Proto...

Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Blake P has a spectacular aura aboutBlake P has a spectacular aura about
Hey Josh, why not have a heart to heart with the service manager and see what their stance is on mods?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Did that... he said if the Porsche service computer reads and detects a modded ECU, the warranty on the drivetrain is void.

That's why I want to know if the GIAC tune is detectable is you use the stock/giac tune toggle.

Originally Posted by Blake P
Hey Josh, why not have a heart to heart with the service manager and see what their stance is on mods?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Definately depends on the dealer, my dealer has installed aftermarket parts for me and has always covered things unrelated to my mods.

Can't go wrong with Evoms or Proto both great tuners!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
kayman is infamous around these parts
Ive been told that if the car is under factory warranty, PCNA sometimes gets involved with big claims and will really investigates hard to determine if the car has been flashed or modded. So even if the dealer is mod friendly, in worst case scenarios, their hands might be tied if PCNA interferes.

Last edited by kayman; 07-11-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
banditlex is infamous around these parts
If the dealer sells and installs the mods and you make it clear on the paperwork that it was done with the understanding it will not void the warranty (actually write it on the paperwork before you sign for it), then your risk is much lower. However, that being said, the prior writer is correct about what could happen if the PCNA investigates if it is a big claim (e.g. the engine). However, at least you'd have the dealer to hold accountable. If they won't agree to the caveat in the paperwork, then they won't get a sale. Remember, dealers make more money on service (generally) nowadays, then they do on the profit for selling cars (although Porsche does better than Ford in this regard).