996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

FVD ECU upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
FVD ECU upgrade Question

A friend of mine is considering upgrading his 2001 TT (K24's & Exhaust) to the FVD Stage 4 ECU.......can he just plug it in and go? Or does he have to have a dealer reprogram it before he can use it?

Chris

Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, you will need to have it programmed to your VIN #. Any dealer can do this for about an hour charge. There are also a few guys on here that can do it for you.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
That sounds easy enough.....

Chris

Last edited by Turbochris; 07-12-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:04 PM
john revis is infamous around these parts
I have an FVD ecu that was a spare if you are interested. It has the latest program, and FVD was good enough to let me try several ecus before I settled on this program. It was in my GT2 that also had K-24s and Cargraphic exhaust. If he wants to keep his ecu stock, this may be an option. Evan at FVD can tell you if this is easily done.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I just did my FVD uprade, I bought a program and a DME. I had to go to the dealer to get the immobilizer codes , dealer charged me an hour.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 AM
FVD-USA is infamous around these parts
Hi Chris,

does your friend have currently software installed on his car ?

We changed our ECU upgrades for most of the current Porsche Models. There is no more ECU swapping needed. You will receive a cable and software from us. With the software and the cable you will be able to read out your car. After you are done reading out your car the software will be transmitted to us via a secured internet connection. Then our programmers will look at your file and adjust it for your needs. After they are done coding it they will send the files to you. One is the original file and one is the tuned file. You will then be able to write the tuned file to your car. If you would like to write the original file back to your car (due to whatever reason) you can do that with the original file.

You need:
1.) Laptop or PC (Windows based)
2.) External Battery charger (just to guarantee constant power)
3.) Internet Connection

The reading out process (including upload) will take between 2-5minutes. The reason why I say 2 and 5 min is because it rerelies on your internet speed. It took me 5 minutes on a 996tt thru my blackberry and my laptop.

After you received the file you will be able to write the software on your car. This takes in general 5-10minutes.

If you should have anymore questions let me know.

Thanks, Flo

Originally Posted by Turbochris
A friend of mine is considering upgrading his 2001 TT (K24's & Exhaust) to the FVD Stage 4 ECU.......can he just plug it in and go? Or does he have to have a dealer reprogram it before he can use it?

Chris

Old 07-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
That sounds really easy and The FVD software is really good.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Chris, you will need to have it programmed to your VIN #. Any dealer can do this for about an hour charge. There are also a few guys on here that can do it for you.
OK, this whole subject confuses me. I just called Stephen at IA, because my dealer refuses to touch non-approved mods and Stephen says yes, you can reset the ECU to your car.......BUT........you lose the performance programming on the ECU so all thats left is the stock programming.

He said you then have to send the ECU to the programmer to have everything put back on.

Now I'll be honest.....I tried to purchase an FVD ECU once and FVD wanted to charge me $1,200 to change the programming to my car

And they (it was a woman) acted like they were doing me a favor

Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Here just a quick installation instruction so you guys can see how easy our Software is.

Last edited by FVD-USA; 07-13-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi Shark, quick question what model was the software for ? Where was the ECU purchased ?

Thanks, Flo

Originally Posted by Shark01
OK, this whole subject confuses me. I just called Stephen at IA, because my dealer refuses to touch non-approved mods and Stephen says yes, you can reset the ECU to your car.......BUT........you lose the performance programming on the ECU so all thats left is the stock programming.

He said you then have to send the ECU to the programmer to have everything put back on.

Now I'll be honest.....I tried to purchase an FVD ECU once and FVD wanted to charge me $1,200 to change the programming to my car

Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
It was the standard k-16 software package. The guy said he bought it from FVD. I didn't purchase it because the total price (the ecu plus the re-programming) was more than I would have paid to get it flashed and I admit I'm a bargain shopper.......err cheap-***

This isn't dissing the software, I really wanted to buy it (this was a year ago) but the customer service aspect was poor. If this policy has changed, then my death wasn't in vain

Old 07-13-2007, 05:19 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
This isnt right. I sent my Used FVD ECU to Stephen to be programmed to my car and he said it was not a problem. Then when I got the ECU it was STOCK PROGRAMMING on it. He then stated the seller of the ECU must have ripped me off. Maybe Stephen can chime in?

Quoted from Stephen: "It is 95.hr and it will take 2 hours. It is an overnight thing. I will need your ECU currently and the FVD unit. As far as their programs I do not sell it nor know what specfically they have changed. I just have the ablity to look and write the codes including the embolizer codes."

Last edited by dgreen78; 07-13-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:14 PM

Shark01, just heard back from Stephen and he told me that you must have misunderstood him. He says he is able to do it for you.

"If I use the piwis then it would be changed to stock if I use the other program I have then I can just change that info not the whole program."

Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Correct, if we use the PIWIS the system will reset the whole ECU but will also send it back to stock. I also use custom software that alows me to change just the program and Embolizer codes. Two different programs. So If I do it like the dealer all bets are off. It is a stock program. Or I can just change that string and emboilzer codes. I have to have both ECUs to be able to read down the codes and transfer them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Correct, if we use the PIWIS the system will reset the whole ECU but will also send it back to stock. I also use custom software that alows me to change just the program and Embolizer codes. Two different programs. So If I do it like the dealer all bets are off. It is a stock program. Or I can just change that string and emboilzer codes. I have to have both ECUs to be able to read down the codes and transfer them.

Sorry for the confusion.
PM me with a quote to do this, ok?