996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Garage Flooring Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:46 AM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
The johnsonite tile is very easy to clean, just a little bit of greased lighting cleaner, hot water and a mop. No effort to clean at all. We had a pretty bad winter as well and still very easy. Also it has a round dimples for a stable walk, no slipping at all.

Old 04-18-2004, 10:30 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
commercial grade composite quartz tile seems to be the strongest and most durable, and tile of choice for race shops and custom garage installers these days. You can find it at tile suppliers for a fraction of the griots price...

dave w

Old 04-18-2004, 11:50 PM
gregy is infamous around these parts
I was looking for a quartz tile. Definately a great choice for a garage or anything else. Much better than ceramics and granites as far as maintenance and car. I only know of silestone, is there other brands out there? Thanks.

-gregy

Old 04-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally posted by No Substitute
Nice job Periokid.
Thanks!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I check out the locking tiles (racedeck, etc) and purchased www.kiwitile.com. I went with the tile that has holes in it and love it. Small dirt falls down into the holes so it looks clean most of the time. Once every two or three months I use a shopvac to vacuum out the garage, it sucks the dirt up through the holes. If I get a stain on it, I just wipe it down with a wet rag. FYI, Kiwi is metric so it's a bit larger than the US tiles like racedeck. You can jack cars on it, as you can see my lift is setup on top of the tiles, no problem.

Roy

Good luck.
Roy

Old 04-20-2004, 02:48 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
It looks like I am going to go with Armstrong commercial vinyl tile (CVT), Safety Zone type for the main garage floor area (car traffic). This tile has built in grit so that the floor will not be slippery. I plan to use S-230 epoxy adhesive. I plan to use Alabaster and Black in a 4x4 arrangement (2'x2' checkerboard). Officially they do not recommend this but ... oh well! They didn't recommend it in a lab either and it worked well there to.

For the concrete landing area (7" riser, 4' deep and stairs), I will use Ucoat-it UFlek-AF in black with granite flek. I will put silica in it before the final epoxy coat to aid traction.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:11 PM
JasonAndreas is infamous around these parts
Tim,
Is your garage heated and insulated? If not, you may have problems with the Epoxy during the winter. Armstrong suggested I NOT use the S-230 adhesive with CVT tile because the tile WOULD come up off the base concrete during the winter.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:04 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Yes, the garage is heated and insulated. Now, I do plan to extend the tiles out to where the garage closes and so some of the tiles will be exposed. I know this will yellow, but I thought if it looked bad after a while, I would just epoxy the little apron area till I got inside the door.