996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Garage Flooring Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:47 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Garage Flooring Help

I am finally going to tackle the garage. I am thinking of using ucoat it for a landing at the front of the garage, and then Armstrong commercial tile (white and black checkerboard) for the traffic area. Any feedback? I would like to do the whole thing in epoxy but really don't want to mask my floor endlessly.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
tile

I put down vinyl tile from HomeDepot ($3/sqft) seven years ago and still looks great

Old 04-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Ken:

Awesome!

I am thinking of putting the tiles 4x4 arrangement because I have a 4 car garage and I think doing 1x1's will look too busy. True?

Any problem with pressure washing?

Did you put sand in the wax to gain traction?

No problem with seeing nuts or bolts when you drop stuff?

Old 04-16-2004, 04:13 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
I think the checker pattern detracts from the car IMHO...The checker pattern on a lesser scale would be better I think...

If your going to go the tile route, how about stone tile ?

Old 04-16-2004, 04:41 PM
jroy is infamous around these parts
epoxy is great. i had my floor done, but it was $5 sq ft on a two and half car garage.

looking back. i should have just done CVT commercial vinyl tiles. then you can replace if you do get any damage..

Old 04-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
If I had it to do over, I'd go with the 4' X 4' pattern because the garage is huge. Probably would either put a yellow or red stripe between stalls, too.

Traction isn't a problem, even wet. I don't try to leave the garage above 5k rpm.....................

Old 04-16-2004, 05:56 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
I don't try to leave the garage above 5k rpm - LOL

Old 04-17-2004, 08:00 AM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
I put down a 24x24 commercial tile called Johnsonite Roundel. It's a great tile and very very easy to keep up with. I highly recommend it as I have used several other tiles in the past. This is simply the best. You can check out their website at

Johnsonite

Old 04-17-2004, 08:55 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
StephenTI,

What did uou use for your floor. I hear its really nice.

Lou

Old 04-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Ruf:

If I go with ceramic/stone, it costs a lot more, you can break it if you drop a wrench, and it's difficult to get really level across the floor.

If I go with the commercial vinyl tile, low cost, I can do it myself, and it holds up well (although certainly not as well as ceramic), won't break, but has to be waxed, could be slippery, and is more difficult to clean, and could lift under a pressure washer (but I don't think it will).

I may go with ceramic because that is what I put in my laboratory and it can withstand anything. Still concerned about breaking a tile though.

Jcramair1: Any trouble with pressure washing? Stains?

Ken, how often do you wax? No slipperiness problem when it rains or gets wet? Do you pressure wash it?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Ken
Originally posted by ColorChange

Ken, how often do you wax? No slipperiness problem when it rains or gets wet? Do you pressure wash it?

Thanks
The last thing the cleaning lady does before she leaves every Wed is to wet mop the tile. It takes up what little dirt comes off the street right up. The tile is slippery for 5 minutes.

I've damage a half dozen tiles in the whole time it's been down - takes 5 minutes to pry up the old tile and throw in a new one.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:59 AM
79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold
I wanted some sort of tile for mine, but I saw John D II's garage and now I'm not sure. I love the way his looks with the Griots Tan paint.

Old 04-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
John D II definitely has a beautiful elegant garage.

I did the 4 x 4 arrangement of armstrong tiles. I am very pleased. So far it has endured 2 harsh winters and many very dirty, greasy car projects. I have had it stripped and waxed once and I plan to do it again soon. It can get a little slippery when wet after a waxing but it might be possible to add a bit of sand to the wax if desired.

Overall I am very pleased with this very cost effective floor.

See more at http://www.leonoff.net

Last edited by Periokid; 04-19-2004 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
racedeck.com

gotta get this!!

Old 04-17-2004, 10:44 PM
No Substitute is infamous around these parts
Nice job Periokid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage Flooring Help