996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Powell
The BFG's are nice but the fastest Drag Radial cars in the world use the MT ET-Street Radial. They are going to give you the best traction out of any tire. BFG's just have a longer life I think.

I mean hey those MT's propelled this car:

to a 7.408 @ 197.62, which also makes it the fastest Drag Radial car in the world
Which took over the OTHER Fox-Body Mustang holding the PREVIOUS record with the BFGs coming in at a 9.1 (I believe).

Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Before the MT drag radials I want to say they were stuck in the mid 8s on BFGs. I'm not to sure exactly.

Thats what I want to build next though, a drag radial car, but with a 1999+ Mustang body lol.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Powell
Before the MT drag radials I want to say they were stuck in the mid 8s on BFGs. I'm not to sure exactly.

Thats what I want to build next though, a drag radial car, but with a 1999+ Mustang body lol.
The 99+ bodies require A LOT of work to do so.

The fox/notch is the best platform Mustang for a drag car (bang for the buck), but it will definitely be unique to see a full drag 99+ new gen doing it.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Hang on guys, I think I need to clarify what I am looking for. What I really want is something that performs like my PS2's on the track/street but that hooks up. W/ my current 590 whp the PS2's spin under 60 mph (higher speeds in colder weather). Of course it is not possible to have a tire that handles/streets like the PS2's and hooks up like a dr, but that is the goal.

I was initially leaning towards the BFG's because they will resolve my traction issues for the most part and are somewhat streetable. I will never do 1/4 mile runs in this car, although I do do a lot of highway roles against other cars "in Mexico." All I really want is to beat most of my friends when we race (I know, I need to grow up...but that is another matter) Thus I probably don't need the edge that the MT's have in all out 1/4 mile racing. The research I have done so far (spent some time on camero/Mustang high hp forums) suggest that the MT's are better for the 1/4 mile track, but that the BFG's are better for driving home from the track.

It seems, then, that the more all around nature of the BFG's might be better suited for my needs. Am I correct in my opinion? And will the newer BFG's be better?

Thanks,

Sean

Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Hang on guys, I think I need to clarify what I am looking for. What I really want is something that performs like my PS2's on the track/street but that hooks up. W/ my current 590 whp the PS2's spin under 60 mph (higher speeds in colder weather). Of course it is not possible to have a tire that handles/streets like the PS2's and hooks up like a dr, but that is the goal.

I was initially leaning towards the BFG's because they will resolve my traction issues for the most part and are somewhat streetable. I will never do 1/4 mile runs in this car, although I do do a lot of highway roles against other cars "in Mexico." All I really want is to beat most of my friends when we race (I know, I need to grow up...but that is another matter) Thus I probably don't need the edge that the MT's have in all out 1/4 mile racing. The research I have done so far (spent some time on camero/Mustang high hp forums) suggest that the MT's are better for the 1/4 mile track, but that the BFG's are better for driving home from the track.

It seems, then, that the more all around nature of the BFG's might be better suited for my needs. Am I correct in my opinion? And will the newer BFG's be better?

Thanks,

Sean
If that is what you are looking for, then yes.

The BFGs should be more than enough for your highway runs in Mexico. And they will have extended tread life compared to the MTs.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Kid GT2 is infamous around these parts
Yea, the MT's seemed like a little overkill for the street.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Thanks Jimbo,

I think that is correct. I am still toying w/ building the bottom end and doing a 75 shot. Maybe then I will get the MT's.

So the remaining question is, which BFG do I go with? Has anyone compared the old (2's) and the new ?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks Jimbo,

I think that is correct. I am still toying w/ building the bottom end and doing a 75 shot. Maybe then I will get the MT's.

So the remaining question is, which BFG do I go with? Has anyone compared the old (2's) and the new ?
Yes, and I will give a fair comparison in a bit.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Im in Tulsa and just ran my car on the BFs ... wow.....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-17-2007, 12:53 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
...What I really want is something that performs like my PS2's on the track/street but that hooks up.

...Of course it is not possible to have a tire that handles/streets like the PS2's and hooks up like a dr, but that is the goal.

...I will never do 1/4 mile runs in this car, although I do do a lot of highway roles against other cars "in Mexico."
Sean,

Given those goals, I think drag radials are not the best choice. You will definitely hate them on the track and I suspect they are not very confidence inspiring >170mph on the freeway (due to the soft/flexible sidewalls).

So if you do not want to have an extra set of wheels with dedicated rubber on them, I recommend a super sticky high performance tire like the Yokohama Advan Neovas. They are close to R-compound sticky rubber, highly regarded on the track, excellent on the street and in the rain. They will outperform the PS2s since the Neovas are pretty much bested only by an R-compound tire. You will be sacrificing ride comfort and increasing cabin noise. They are not drag radials but those will only dissapoint you since you are not drag racing. The Neovas should hook up great if you find the right pressure. What about my launches, you ask? Well, practice, practice, practice.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
BFG's aren't bad on the street at all, decent sidewall and handle reasonably well in the corners... considering they are a DR.

MT's are more wrinkle wall slick than street radial, do not belong on a porsche at all.

Look at the new DOT legal road race slicks. Shank has a set on his F-GT they looked to work fairly well.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Mark,

Do you DD the BFG's? Which ones? I lost your number, by the way, when I got my new phone.

Chris, The Yokos aren't avilable in my size. Do you think they would hook w/ 660 at the wheels?

It is my understanding that the new BFG's have a bit stiffer sidewall and hence are a touch better all around although not quite as good for 1/4 mile comps.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks Vic....you should know. So I take that you like the new BFG's over the old?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-17-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
The widest Advans are 295/30/18 but they have surprisingly wide tread pattern...yoko understates their footprint. Anyway, if you go for the DR please report back. I'm really interested to hear how they feel compared to the PS2.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Kid GT2 is infamous around these parts
My experiences with the BFG's are the following; you do not sacrifice driveability or handling like you would other drag radials. On a quick side note I am experiencing some rubbing on the top of the sidewall on my BFG's.
(see pic below)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drag Radials