996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
BFG g-Force DR are drag radials in name only. They suck for drag racing.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Sean, listen, here's what you do. Get the same Nitto NT555 road race tire that Nick Diep runs. They have the drag radial tread pattern (for the most part) and hook much better than street tires. Also, you can road race them all day long.

For reference, I run a lil' ol' 275 wide Nitto NT555R drag radial and it hooks 850 rwhp from a 65 mph punch. All you have to do is properly warm them up.

Peter

Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by houstonT
Sean, listen, here's what you do. Get the same Nitto NT555 road race tire that Nick Diep runs. They have the drag radial tread pattern (for the most part) and hook much better than street tires. Also, you can road race them all day long.

For reference, I run a lil' ol' 275 wide Nitto NT555R drag radial and it hooks 850 rwhp from a 65 mph punch. All you have to do is properly warm them up.

Peter
I'll second that! I ran my supercharged C5 at the Thunderhill road race track in NorCal on 275-wide 555R2s in the front and the 315-wide 555Rs from my Camaro on the back. The pro road racer who was my coach for the day wouldn't believe I had DOT tires until he read the sidewall.

I didn't have as much luck as you hooking up my mid-9-second Camaro with the Nittos on the street, so I went with the M/T ET Street Radials. But I don't think they'll fit on a 996:

Jeff

Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
I run BFG 's on my 03 Cobra 525RWHP. The car was terrible to drive on the F1's I slapped on the Dr's wheel hop disappeared and the car actually moved when I dropped the hammer. I have been thinking of picking a set up for my stock wheels. Just keep in mind 800-1500 miles is common for these tires. I have only used 3 sets. Car only has 4600 miles

Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Peter,

I might try the Nittos for the Supra nats next year. Tire rack doesn't carry them, though. How much are they?

I can get the new BFG's shipped for $600. I will probably wear them out by March.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I just ran my car with the bfs and Mts .... they both float a little but the MTs alot more for sure....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Maybe you should get some wider ps2's...335/30 18 or go for some 315/30 cup tires. The handling is gonna be really affected by the softer drag radials.

I'm going for some 335/30 Ps2's when my 315's wear out..

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kid GT2
My experiences with the BFG's are the following; you do not sacrifice driveability or handling like you would other drag radials. On a quick side note I am experiencing some rubbing on the top of the sidewall on my BFG's.
(see pic below)

could be the offsets of the wheels because I can fit a 325 pirelli slick with no rubbing...

Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I just ran my car with the bfs and Mts .... they both float a little but the MTs alot more for sure....
BFG's don't float at all when you're running the correct air pressure.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Joe,

When I get above 600 at the rear wheels I am not going to hook up at all w/ the PS2's. I am going to order the new BFG's and wear them out by next March. I will have achieved my straight line goals by then and will go back to the PS2's in time for track day at next year's Supra Nats. I will probably also run the PS2's in next years Texas Mile.

One question for Peter: The BFG's are dot/street legal. Will they disqualify me from running in the street tire division? I think that I will be able to hook on the track we used last year for the 60-130 event (Lone Star) using the PS2's. It was pretty sticky.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Sean, yes, you will NOT be able to run the street division at TX2K8 as the BFG's are "drag radials" yet the Nitto's are still considered street tires (as long as you get the road race/street version of the Nitto's and NOT the drag radials). I would highly recommend getting the Nitto's. At 650 rwhp you will hook well enough in straight line acceleration and will be able to actually take a turn aggresively without worrying about the sidewall folding over and floating all over the place. Just my 0.02, but hey, what the hell do I know?

Peter <-- has had all the tires discussed on this thread...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Peter,

You have me sold on the Nittos'....unfortunately, they don't come in the size I need (315-30-18). The closest is a 305-35-18. I could live w/ the 305, but I am not sure if I want to go w/ the higher profile (35).

EDIT: having done a little research, I think I may be OK w/ the 35's.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-18-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Kid GT2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drjoe
could be the offsets of the wheels because I can fit a 325 pirelli slick with no rubbing...
I am going to raise the rear up a little and see if that stops the rubbing

Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Peter,

What about the Nitto NT-01? They come in my size.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Kid GT2 is infamous around these parts
I Believe those are road racing tires, not sure though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drag Radials