996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Drag Radials

Time for new tires. I am installing a new fuel system and other mods/retuning. When done I expect 640-670 rwhp.

I am also due for new tires. W/ the new power levels, and since I won't be tracking about 8 months, I have decided to get drag radials. I have heard great things about the BFG drag radials 2, but tire rack doesn't have them in my size. The BFG dr 2's are the originals, yes? Tire rack does have the new BFG dr's in my size. Which are better?

Has anyone had any experience in comparing the old BFG's w/ the new? Most people prefer the BFG's to the Mickey Thompson's. I would appreciate any thoughtful advice. I will be calling Damon but would like to get some input from my fellow 6speeders first.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-17-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Sean what size rims do you have again?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Sean, the BFGs are a great mild tire. Much better than the Nitto 555s.

They will get you better traction, but the tire to go with is the Mickey Thompson DR.

They came out with a variation of sizes this year, and have been getting superb traction as a DR.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Interesting, Jimbo....now I have more to think about.

Chris, 315-30-18 (rim).

When is your bro going to run me?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I agree with Jim, if you want the ultimate drag radial you need to go with the new Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial. They have a 305/35/18 and a 345/35/18 (which is a 28" tall tire). They actually may more sizes, but this is what they have listed on their website.

They are going to give you the best traction you can get without going to a slick. It's not always going to make you hook up, it does help a bunch though.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of

I have dealt with pretty much every drag radial, and I have had the best traction with the MT ET Street DR.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Interesting, Jimbo....now I have more to think about.

Chris, 315-30-18 (rim).

When is your bro going to run me?
Hell I'd like to know when he plans on driving his car again. It's been sitting in the same place in the backyard for 3 weeks now. He starts it up every week lets it warm up. Then shuts it down. Hopefully the girlfriend phase will leave him by this winter, or he will realize he has friends and a brother to hang out with. Going to see if we can go some 10.2s or 10.3s on motor. He did that 10.55 (letting out) in like 60* air with a alright DA. Then turn on the bottle in the same night and make a 9.x pass.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Chris, I seriously need to have a talk w/ your brother about the role of women in a mans life. Seriously, estrogen has run amok in the boy!

Women say "I want a man who make ME his #1 priority." But the moment you do that she starts to lose interest. Always keep your passions and career first. Its like Scarface said "First jue get da money...on den, jue get da power...on DEN jue get da women!"

Back to the topic, Jimbo, will the MT's be ok for DD puroses? I do drive this car about 3 times a week.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Chris, I seriously need to have a talk w/ your brother about the role of women in a mans life. Seriously, estrogen has run amok in the boy!

Women say "I want a man who make ME his #1 priority." But the moment you do that she starts to lose interest. Always keep your passions and career first. Its like Scarface said "First jue get da money...on den, jue get da power...on DEN jue get da women!"

Back to the topic, Jimbo, will the MT's be ok for DD puroses? I do drive this car about 3 times a week.
They will be perfectly fine in DD activity, assuming you are not driving in the rain (all DRs suck in the rain regardless).

Depending on track time, street time, and burnouts, you should see anywhere from 1,000 miles - 7,000 miles on these tires. The picture shows the tread grooves, but the chords/wear bars are still FAR down in the tire. So when it looks bald, it still isn't.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
All right, Jimbo...I am going to look into the MT's

Old 07-17-2007, 08:47 AM
lol, yeah he will realize that one soon enough. I did the samething when I was his age. I learned quickly what happens, esp when its over between them and your friends aren't there anymore.

The tires are good for DD, as long as you plan on not being in the rain. You can drive them in the rain, but I wouldn't do that unless you have to. Matt use to drive his car on ET-Streets (The ones without any real tread) 2 or 3 times a week to school and around town.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Kid GT2 is infamous around these parts
I am currently running the BFG's on my car and have had only good experiences with them. I would have to recommend them to anyone, there a great tire.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone. Kid, our cars are similar so the BFG's seem a good choice. Are you on the old 2's, or the new dr's?

Jimbo, I am still researching the MT's. Can you tell me about your car?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Kid, our cars are similar so the BFG's seem a good choice. Are you on the old 2's, or the new dr's?

Jimbo, I am still researching the MT's. Can you tell me about your car?
I haven't run them on mine. I have many friends who I have run them on, cars UP TO 650HP, where they have hooked with minimal spin. I was able to cut a 1.6 60' with 17" rims. This was on a Camaro.

Jeff (The_Punisher) can also attest to these tires, as another forum we are on, there are many members running them and getting great times.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
The BFG's are nice but the fastest Drag Radial cars in the world use the MT ET-Street Radial. They are going to give you the best traction out of any tire. BFG's just have a longer life I think.

I mean hey those MT's propelled this car:

to a 7.408 @ 197.62, which also makes it the fastest Drag Radial car in the world

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drag Radials