996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock vs. Enhanced ECU Flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Stock vs. Enhanced ECU Flash

996TT has boost set at .7-BAR?

Mine (purchased used with 14K miles on it) hits 1.0-BAR and I saw it for a brief moment at 1.1-BAR.

What's the horsepower difference with this apparently aftermarket reflash on the ECU (the car is 100% stock otherwise including a factory exhaust).

If HP is around 415 stock, and at .7-BAR then what is it likely to be at 1-1.1-BAR???

Any work done on this?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
u cant just compare it like that... what if its a k24 turbo and not a k16 then a k24 at 1 bar will produce more then a k16 at 1 bar. not all ecus are equal... etc... too many other factors... that is why people go to dyno if they really want to know.....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Thanks M.

Makes sense to me now. Without knowing more about advance or timing and etc. it would be otherwise difficult to know for sure. Assuming no one swapped the turbos on my car, and I'm running K16's with stock exhaust, then I figured that there would be a "standard" or "expected" horsepower increase vs stock. I do understand the limitations of the K16's vs upgrading to K24's from reading the forum but would still openly wonder if there isn't a formula that could essentially predict, albeit somewhat inaccurately, what the HP gain might be. I know that the X50's and Turbo-S cars came set at 1BAR boost from the factory vs the standard 996TT so I don't worry about the boost level with the K16's but was simply wondering what I might be getting vs a COMPLETE stocker, which mine essentialy is. Perhaps I'll have to find a 4 wheel dyno somewhere in Washington State after all. Other comments very welcome.

SY

Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Dragon911TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
I know that the X50's and Turbo-S cars came set at 1BAR boost from the factory
SY
Are you sure about that... I have an X50 and I only see .8 bar

Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Interesting... Had a couple of P-Car dealers tell me it was 1.0. Seattle, and Scottsdale. He/They may have been referring only to the Turbo-S.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Most chips claim 75-ish hp and lb-ft. Give or take a bit (I've seen 85 claimed before..) on a K16 996TT

Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I've seen claims anywhere from about 60 to 100hp. You can check some of the sponsers websites to see what their stage one flashes add. That will give you an idea of what you might have.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Perfecto.

Feels like around 450-max but again.... impossible to tell without a dyno test to prove it. Like so many things in life.... we like to think it's bigger than it really is... have to measure it to be sure.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
The x50 and Turbo S are the same set up. They see .8-.9 bar, a chipped k16 w/diverters (you should check to see if you have these) is claimed to be 70-85hp difference. Also, they say that they generally gain more in tq than HP.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
No stock 996TT or GT2 had factory 1.0 boost, none.

Modded ECU cars run 1.0 to 1.1 bar typically and combined with a good exhuast that flows better expect to go from 415 to about 480-490 on
a K-16 car. K-24 car go from 444 to about 515-530 hp.

IMHO

60-130 stock car == 12.5
60-130 ECU/exhuust 10.5 -11.0 seconds (k-16 car)

MK

Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
No stock 996TT or GT2 had factory 1.0 boost, none.

Modded ECU cars run 1.0 to 1.1 bar typically and combined with a good exhuast that flows better expect to go from 415 to about 480-490 on
a K-16 car. K-24 car go from 444 to about 515-530 hp.

IMHO

60-130 stock car == 12.5
60-130 ECU/exhuust 10.5 -11.0 seconds (k-16 car)

MK
Thanks! My conversations with tuners that are not to be taken as dogma or as official data suggested a case of 35hp/0.1bar increase for the best tuning. I won't go into which tuner is best....they all have various levels of focus that reflect their philosophies. I am biased (see my signature), but many sponsors of this board do great work.

Wooosh's dyno runs on the TJW exhaust mod show a stock k16 car with just the software from UMW for a reference that is easy to find....just fyi.

Different brands of dyno's, days, heat, etc. make doing science in the regard hard to impossible. Reputable tuners all have in-house dyno's it seems. IA, Sharkwerks, and UMW are on my list as they have been kind to me and have good reputations on this and other forums. There are many others...these are USA based and ones who have been kind to me.

Good luck with the project(s)!

It is a lot of fun. The ECU flash was the most amazing change I have ever seen in a car....just amazing what it did.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-25-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Thanks! My conversations with tuners that are not to be taken as dogma or as official data suggested a case of 35hp/0.1bar increase for the best tuning. I won't go into which tuner is best....they all have various levels of focus that reflect their philosophies. I am biased (see my signature), but many sponsors of this board do great work.

Wooosh's dyno runs on the TJW exhaust mod show a stock k16 car with just the software from UMW for a reference that is easy to find....just fyi.

Different brands of dyno's, days, heat, etc. make doing science in the regard hard to impossible. Reputable tuners all have in-house dyno's it seems. IA, Sharkwerks, and UMW are on my like. There are many others...these are USA based and ones who have been kind to me.

Good luck with the project(s)!

It is a lot of fun. The ECU flash was the most amazing change I have ever seen in a car....just amazing what it did.
JCB, the 35 hp per .1 bar is not accurate in this context. That is what Mark can achieve per .1 bar with a capable fuel system and GT35 turbos. The gains on a smaller turbo will be much less per .1 bar since they are flowing much less air at an equal pressure. KPG

Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KPG
JCB, the 35 hp per .1 bar is not accurate in this context. That is what Mark can achieve per .1 bar with a capable fuel system and GT35 turbos. The gains on a smaller turbo will be much less per .1 bar since they are flowing much less air at an equal pressure. KPG
I stand corrected....My guess on my car is that it mirrors Wooosh's dyno data....so 20-30hp/0.1bar....but torque is really impressive on the ECU and is something that is just amazing to feel....hard to describe.

JB

Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
....but torque is really impressive on the ECU and is something that is just amazing to feel....hard to describe.

JB
I agree on that score. The added tq makes the car feel so much more respnsive, and you and I know that our guy likes tq...lots of it KPG

Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
john revis is infamous around these parts
flash = money well spent, and the best return on the never ending mods.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock vs. Enhanced ECU Flash