996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Something to Ponder on Resale and repainted parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Something to Ponder on Resale and repainted parts

The debate about bras and 3M film got me to thinking...

If you repaint your hood, it could hurt resale somewhat. Even though the car hasn't been wrecked, a repainted part is found and a red flag goes up that hurts resale.

Well, if you have a car with a lot of rock chips, how about ordering a painted hood from the factory and installing it instead of repainting a hood? It would cost more than painting, but would you get that money back in resale?

Just a thought.

If so, I'm considering ordering one now before they don't make 996's anymore and therefore, getting a 996 hood from the factory wouldn't be possible.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Scott, I doubt you are going to be able to a factory painted hood, a hood yes but not factory painted.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:16 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Scott - all of the cars I have sold - I.e. 355 spdyer - silver 01 TT - seal grey cab 01 and even the last 03 cab has had repainted panels due to stone chips - no effect at all on resale since my body shop here "Daytona" paints as good if not better than the factory

Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
besides, if you order a hood from factory paionted it probably wont match anyway...

Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Something to Ponder on Resale and repainted parts

Originally posted by Scott in H-town
The debate about bras and 3M film got me to thinking...

If you repaint your hood, it could hurt resale somewhat. Even though the car hasn't been wrecked, a repainted part is found and a red flag goes up that hurts resale.

Well, if you have a car with a lot of rock chips, how about ordering a painted hood from the factory and installing it instead of repainting a hood? It would cost more than painting, but would you get that money back in resale?

Just a thought.

If so, I'm considering ordering one now before they don't make 996's anymore and therefore, getting a 996 hood from the factory wouldn't be possible.
How can they tell your bumper cover was repainted??? Not like an insurance claim is put in and would be reported to carfax...What am I missing here????

Old 04-21-2004, 02:09 PM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Repainted bumper covers won't count against you at all. Any metal pieces that are painted will if they're caught.

Scott, I was told to always look for the options sticker on the underside of the hood as they are never re-issued and can't be removed and re-installed. If it doesn't have a sticker then it has been painted. Obviously a factory hood wouldn't have one. And as mentioned, I doubt the paint match would be acceptable.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
The only time to repaint a part is when the part needs repainting or when it needs to match the rest of the car. That is the real magic of a good autobody painter. Everyone expects no orange peel or ripples, the great ones match the color. A two year old + color will no longer perfectly match stock. So buy the part now, but don't paint it until you need to put in on.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Good input. I was just curious.

Rockitman, it's easy to tell if a part's been painted. No body shop matches factory 100%. You can tell with a paint meter or even by feeling the edges many times.

Darren, thanks for your input. That makes me feel better.