996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AWD Dyno Concerns (dont want to burn up the tranny)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
AWD Dyno Concerns (dont want to burn up the tranny)

I remember some concerns being vioced about the AWD dynos and which type to look for but I cant remember the thread. some one refreshen my memory or show me the link if you remember it.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Use a mechanically linked dyno, Mustang is the best choice or remove the driveshaft and dyno anywhere. The front and rear rollers have to turn at the exact same speed and the only way to ensure that is if the rollers are turning together.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Use a mechanically linked dyno, Mustang is the best choice or remove the driveshaft and dyno anywhere. The front and rear rollers have to turn at the exact same speed and the only way to ensure that is if the rollers are turning together.

This is one of the main reasons why I bought a mustang. I have seen a few cars get damaged on inersia dyno's with large non linked rollers.

I've had ~10 996TT on my mustange dyno without any issue.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
a MAHA works great too. just ensure proper airflow into the intercoolers and over the engine.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:11 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What about dyno dynamics? Anyone tried this type. I have one locally that claims theirs is linked and that they have dynoed several AWD Porsche before, but I'm not so quick to beleive anyone.

Not to mention I have a lot riding on this weekend. I made a bet with Neil that I would go back to RWD if I couldnt beat my best lap time at RA by 1 second this weekend. Weather permitting (supposed to rain). But I did run only 1 sec. off my last time out on a wet track and unable to use the gators.

Need to get dynoed so I can be in TTU with NASA. The record holder isnt driving this weekend so I can win the class because I have beaten everyone else in the class. And I need to get closer to that record.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:34 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
You should be ok on a DD. The rollers are very light, all 4 are the same weight and the shop can set it up with no load duing coast down.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Any suggestions for a dyno near Malibu California, I have completed my stage one (I know...weak...but you gotta start somewhere) and I want some numbers on what she'll put out.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Why don't you just do it in 2WD?/!!!!!!!!!
(no anwer required!!)

Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
^^^^^

Lolololol

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Ask the operator if the dyno is mechanically linked. If not then the answer to any AWD dyno is no.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I don't believe it was the tranny that was breaking ............ wasn't it the front differencial?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Chad you are correct.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Ask the operator if the dyno is mechanically linked. If not then the answer to any AWD dyno is no.
I was told it was but when we tried it the front wheels wouldnt spin, doesnt that mean it couldnt have been????

We ended up taking it off the dyno and doing it in RWD anyways so I guess it doesnt matter now. But this will be good info for someone looking in the future so please respond.

If your front wheels are not turning when rear wheels start turning, is it not the right type of dyno????

Also my car made 439.6 RWHP, that doesnt make sense to me, how do I convert that to Dynometer (sp) numbers. I have read anywhere from 12-20% difference, which is it and how do I adjust accordingly.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy

If your front wheels are not turning when rear wheels start turning, is it not the right type of dyno????

That is correct. If the front wheels are not turning at the same speed the diff is overheating.