996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upsolute chip-Very Dissapointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Upsolute chip-Very Dissapointed

Cross post.

I'm sure glad they have a 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

I have a 2001 C2 tip. I had Fabspeed maxflow muffler and their headers put on along with Evo. Motorsports highflow K&N cone intake put in. I was told I would need to remap the chip to get any real gain out of those as well as the 20 hp & torgue the upsolute chip was suppose to produce. If you add up all the manufacturers advertised gains, I would get an extra 40-50 hp & torgue gain. Realistically I was hoping for an extra 30hp & torgue.

I dealt with Lanny Richardson out of CA. He was great to deal with, gave me great instructions on removing the ecu and everything was done on time. Along with my ecu I sent to Lanny, I also included a flyer on all three of my mods along with a dyno sheet from each manufacturer. Lanny said the people that reprogram the chip in Austria are very familiar with most mods and take that all into account when reprogramming the chip. One thing I was very interested in what Lanny said was they up the max RPM to 7200. I was real happy about that because my tip (no matter if I'm in manual or auto mode)always shifts out of 1st at 6400 and all other gears between 6800-7000RPM.

One thing most people may not know is whomever you go through in the US does none of the reprogramming. They just act as a middle man with Austria. They just send the current ecu info to Austria and download the reprogrammed info from Austria onto you ecu. THE RESULTS.

I dynoed the car on 3/20/04, a hot afternoon at 3:50. My hp was 238.7 and torgue was 215.0. A little bit lower then WYO996 258hp and 219 torgue he did on his pre Evo. supercharger. I realize I have the extra loss of a tip transmission. We are both in CO at approx 5300-5500 feet.

I got the chip back, put it in, started and warmed my car up, looking forward to 7200 RPM. 1st gear shifted at exactly the same point, 6400RPM, 2nd and 3rd shifted at exactly the same RPM points. I'm not a happy camper. I realize I have to have the car re-dynoed to see if there are any gains. I go back to the same dyno, same guy runs it on a cool morning at 10:18. My new post chipped 996 is 236.1 hp and torque is 215.9. We re-ran it 3 times with no real change. The operator printed my pre and post chipped dyno runs over each other. They look almost exactly the same, with the pre chip run a little higher over the whole RPM range. WHAT A MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT.

I'm now wondering if anything was reprogrammed since my car shifts at exactly the same low points, not at 7200 RPM.

I will be contacting Lanny tomorrow. I'll probably have to re-send my ecu back, be without my car for another 5 days and redyno the car again to make sure it's least at where it was hp & torgue before I sent the ecu to upsolute. I always tell people, you never know how good a company is until you have a problem. I will now find out about Upsolute. I am so dissapointed, since I've heard nothing but great things about Upsolutes chips. I will now have spent 225.00 on dyno's. What a royal PIA.

In my opinion, don't believe any manufactures claims of higher hp & torque with performance mods on a N/A 996. I spent $2,500 on Fabspeeds muffler/headers and EVO highflow intake. Don't waste your money on any of these mods unles you want a more agressive sounding car. I would still get the Fabspeed Maxflow muffler because of the great sound. Just don't expect and power gain. If you want real gains, I guess you should buy a TT or get the EVO or TPC supercharger. I've now spent 1/4 of what a S.C. would have cost, with zero power gains. This sucks.

Ken

Old 04-22-2004, 08:16 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
You do realize this is the turbo board right?

I had my TT Upsolute'd a few weeks back and it's awesome. I don't know much about your car but maybe your ECU has a re-learning process it needs to go through and you should drive it for a few days before you make a final conclusion. I know on some cars, especially automatics, there is a re-learning process involved before you will see maximum benefits. I guess it's always possible that your Upsolute rep re-installed the stock program by accident or something LOL.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
keep us informed.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:41 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
a chip makes a huge difference in a turbo, not much in a n/a car. no big surprise.

Last edited by MJC123; 04-22-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Have to say it seems your expectations are a little unreasonable. I don't care what mods you do to a C2 you are not gonna get the gains you are looking for. The most the chip will do in these situations on a non TT is maybe 5 to 8 HP. If I am wrong I would love to see otherwise.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
NA cars will get very minimal results with a chip. Even with an intake and exhaust and chip dont expect to get much. The only real power you're going to get is if you go the forced induction route.

I learned this a long time ago when I tried just about everything to get more power of a NA engine. After dumping a lot of $ into intakes, exhausts, ecus, TBs, pulleys, etc. I got a supercharger and it was a world of a difference.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 PM
steve c is infamous around these parts
A N/A C2 automatic -- at altitude where you are already losing 1/3 of your horsepower ... I don't know why you are surprised.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Isn't there a different computer for the transmission? I am not sure the engine ecu controls the transmission, but I could be mistaken.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
What is your AFR's. Without that info your will not have any idea of what or if any improvement you can obtain.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
These guys are right... proof is in the numbers, and perhaps Upsolute should explain their modified ECU targets more specifically.

As long as I've been around modded cars, chipping an NA car has really not yielded much... nothing you can feel via butt-dyno. You'd feel much "faster" with a louder intake and exhaust setup than with any ecu program.

In most cases, they'll lean things out slightly and try to add some timing in. On the A/F chart, there's a point where you reach diminshing to zero returns... it's really not the case that leaner equals more power so long as there's no detonation... it certainly isn't a linear relationship, that's for sure.

It is not improbable that Porsche has already optimized the power curve, and that further leaning out really isn't going to yield much if anything at all.

Chip'n a NA street car is pointless. Upsolute made a claim, and you took them up on it. Because you've got dyno pulls showing no increase in power, I don't see why you wouldn't get your refund.

Good Luck...
Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
455rwhp, 505rwtq on Dynojet

Old 04-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Periokid
Isn't there a different computer for the transmission? I am not sure the engine ecu controls the transmission, but I could be mistaken.
Exactly right -- while the ECU communicates with the TCU, the tranny control unit has its own software with various shift maps. It is possible that your "rev" limiter has been increased before engine cut out -- try the TIP in manual mode and see if the ECU overrides the TCU's desire to have the car shift at the stock redline point.

As everyone has pointed out, normally aspirated cars gain much less form an ECU upgrade as compared to a Turbo charged vehicle. Nevertheless, there still can be some (albeit little) improvement in HP/TQ with throttle response typically being the one area most improved.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by steve c
A N/A C2 automatic -- at altitude where you are already losing 1/3 of your horsepower ... I don't know why you are surprised.
I have to agree. NA motors at this altitude are pigs. Forced induction or major motor upgrades are a must at this altitude for any real power gains. Remember you lose about 20% on an NA motor up here. I would bet the manufacturers advertised gains are at sea level. You might also note that you can't simply add up the HP numbers "on the box" and get a total HP number. Mods tend to overlap and many times those numbers are best case anyway.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:27 AM
boston 7777 is infamous around these parts
It takes a few hundred miles for your car to understand the new program .

Old 04-23-2004, 09:35 AM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by steve c
Steve is right. Also, I have to assume that you don't have high flow catalytics. Not that they are going to give you gobs of HP& TQ, but everything helps for airflow. You still have restriction at top end.

And then of course there is the PROPER PROGRAMING. Crutial,.... at what ever altitude or mod project you are doing. Of course, its hard to get maximum HP out of a N/A engine with programing.

SC kit, cams , might help you achieve HP numbers you want.

Theo

Old 04-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the replies. I do realize this is a TT board. The chip experts are here, and it's obvious I'm getting more replies here. I forgot to have the afr printed. I'll go get those. I'll try to get another 100+ miles on the car, dyno again and see if there are any changes.

It's my fault this happened. I saw the dyno charts of these mods. It's a shame all manufacturers take one point on the chart that has the biggest gain and that's what they advertise. The dyno chart could be flat except one 20 hp blip, and that's what they say the gain is - not the average. I still can't believe I got a zero hp gain from the Upsolute chip. This board is testimony to how awesome their TT chip upgrade is.

I guess I've only lost 1,400 for the Fabspeed headers and Evo intake, plus 225 for 3 dynos.

Evo did tell me about there ecu upgrade when I spent 2,500 for the headers/muffler and intake. For 1,100 I didn't think a 18 hp & torque increase was worth it. Now it doesn't look so bad. I should have just waited until their S.C. came out.

A learning process. Thanks for all your help.

Ken

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upsolute chip-Very Dissapointed