996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I fit K24 Turbos ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
WOW~ what a walth of information...

Can UMW, Imagine or Shark weigh in on the longevity expected witheach package?

Don't know why ANYONE would do springs vs. what would appear to be a superior electronic wastegate setup given the relatvely small margin for error on these high-pressure setups.

Initially, it would seem that 18/24's with electronic wastegates would allow the user a TON of flexabiliy and the opportunity to bolt on headers, add huge injectors, and etc. as the demand for power increased, or better yet, DIAL IT DOWN and allow the car to last....

Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:57 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
would you be able to do a 24/18g setup wth electronic wastegates and have the maximum flexability to get stupid with the power later with the right flas setup, injectors, headers, etc? wouldn't this setup yield a to of flexability later?

UMW? Imagine? Shark?

Old 08-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
would you be able to do a 24/18g setup wth electronic wastegates and have the maximum flexability to get stupid with the power later with the right flas setup, injectors, headers, etc? wouldn't this setup yield a to of flexability later?

UMW? Imagine? Shark?
SOrry but the K24/18G is a Protomotive tuning turbo set up. UMW , sharky, etc. have other turbo set ups... different turbos used.

the advatage of first going with a K24/18g, ecu, Electronic boost controller, and a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator is that if u want to upgrade in the future for another 100 HP u do not need to dump these turbos and spend another 6K on turbos. U keep these and just upgrade the fuel system and other stuff like intercoolers, MAF and MAf housing, etc...

Evoms uses a gt700 package and UMW has somehting lined up as well...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
For the record, if you're coming from K16s, don't want to spend money, and don't want to go with totally new turbos, K16/24 hybrids give you better than K24 boost response and about the same total power. Either way, wastegate springs are a must if you're going over 1BAR of boost.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ari
For the record, if you're coming from K16s, don't want to spend money, and don't want to go with totally new turbos, K16/24 hybrids give you better than K24 boost response and about the same total power. Either way, wastegate springs are a must if you're going over 1BAR of boost.
I went with the 16/24's because of the low rpm lag. I have no complains other than I want more speed, but who doesn't. I auto-x, open lap, and drag race the car so I wanted as little turbo lag as possible and wanted to keep the car fun to drive around town too.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
When I upgrade, I want it for day to day...so either hybrid or Kevin's newest k16 creation. I plan to just call him and talk about things.

The key to a good tuner is finding one that will listen to you and help you determine what you need to be happy. Not everyone wants or needs 800hp with the issues that go with it..... although at times it would be fun for sure. :-)

Said another way, you need to do is "rev match" with your tuner. I'll probably not have a car like some of the monsters on this board...but my car does 1.1bar with a TJW and UMW software...stock K16's and scares me when on full boost. That is saying more about me than the car, of course. Some of the guys on this board are just better drivers than I am. I would have this discussion with the person/shop with whom you plan to interact...given the cost and how this will set things for the future, I would talk to a few shops and go with whom you feel most comfortable.

I think the sponsors of this site and others are superb...you need to find what lets you feel good about spending the cash and go for it. Let us know what you do please! I have heard great things about Kevins ZC turbos....my goal to be honest it to get his best k16 based units some day. But that is just me.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-13-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Indykid
I went with the 16/24's because of the low rpm lag. I have no complains other than I want more speed, but who doesn't. I auto-x, open lap, and drag race the car so I wanted as little turbo lag as possible and wanted to keep the car fun to drive around town too.
How much hp does 16/24 give you at crank?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Boulder GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Indykid
Not meant in a rhetorical sense at all but a major concern on the 24's always seems to be lag but I've never heard anybody complain about the lag on an x-50 or Turbo S. I can't tell any great lag differance between an x-50 and "normal" turbo.

Is the SW causing more lag with that set up or what a I missing?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Not meant in a rhetorical sense at all but a major concern on the 24's always seems to be lag but I've never heard anybody complain about the lag on an x-50 or Turbo S. I can't tell any great lag differance between an x-50 and "normal" turbo.

When people complain about K24 lag it IS with turbo S and X-50...if you can't tell the difference then you apparently don't care about it.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Boulder GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wross996TT
When people complain about K24 lag it IS with turbo S and X-50...if you can't tell the difference then you apparently don't care about it.
Hmm. Must be my upbringing with hair trigger powerbands on two -strokes and torque steering Saabs.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 996Choy
Capable of around 600.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 996Choy
Not real sure and we don't have an awd dyno in Indy, but my guess would be 575 ish. I ran door to door with my friends c6z06 which makes 465 rwhp. Given the weight difference and my trap speeds it think that 575 "seems" realistic.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3

It has about 200 to 300 rpm lag over my stock 16's.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
The turbo that is on the right is my current setup and I dont complain about any lag..

Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
What the heck kind of turbo is that you pictured?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I fit K24 Turbos ?