996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Ceramic Brake Controversy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
James: If you decide you need bigger brakes ... NOT an obvious conclusion, then I think the Brembo GTR is a superior solution to the overpriced, overhyped PCCB's.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
colorchange, what about the perfectpower solution of just a new aluminum hub 14" floating rotor in the front that still fits inside stock 18" wheels and uses existing calipers. That plus the GT-3 air baffle and pagets on the track are probably the best bang for the $, no? That is what I did but won't be on the track until this weekend. My home track is pretty tough on brakes and it should be two hot days in SC as well. I'll let you know how it goes. can you remind me what the specs are on the GTR.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by james
colorchange, what about the perfectpower solution of just a new aluminum hub 14" floating rotor in the front that still fits inside stock 18" wheels and uses existing calipers. That plus the GT-3 air baffle and pagets on the track are probably the best bang for the $, no? That is what I did but won't be on the track until this weekend. My home track is pretty tough on brakes and it should be two hot days in SC as well. I'll let you know how it goes. can you remind me what the specs are on the GTR.
james, the GTR brakes DO fit the stock 18" wheels, so clearance isn´t a problem.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:29 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
James, I agree. I have the GT-3 cup brake scoops ordered and should be in any day from Gert. I first always go after cooling to improve brakes. (If you do it for bling ... non issue). The biggest reason I would look at the GT-R's is for the reduction in unsprung weight. These brakes, or even the big reds, WILL NOT STOP FASTER/QUICKER ... The braking speed/power/force is strictly limited by tire traction on our cars. The only time this may not be true is at extreme braking levels (usually only found on the track) where they might get way too hot. The best solution here is brake scoops. Then, and only then, should you go after equipment (bigger/better calipers, rotors, …) for more heat absorption capacity.

You should also understand that is very probable the big reds actually stop the car slower than the stock brakes. The reasons for this are fairly complicated but please see the following web site for a full explanation. This is the best source I know of with braking info.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical/

Specifically, look at the following:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...ake_122701.htm

Old 04-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
Thanks colorchange, the new rotors are lighter due to the center aluminum. But the savings is only x 2 fronts and not x4 wheels. Since I like to run slicks at the track all of it helps. I agree with stopping distance issue. The trouble is hot SC day, technical and tight track, heavy car, FAST car, and sticky tires=tough on anyone's brakes. We have been cooking brake sensors and morphing the caliper colors ever since the 996 TT hit the track. There will always be a rate limiting factor, and right now with these fast heavy cars, the brakes/temps are the new rate limiter.

Last edited by james; 04-28-2004 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally posted by james
james-

Check out this thread regarding the Brembo GTR kit. They have been on our car for about 2 months.

If you are interested, call me.

1-888-565-2257

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...&threadid=9342