996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do you tip a mobile detailer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:10 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Do you tip a mobile detailer?

I don't think I've ever had any of my cars "professionally" detailed, but I'm going to start...

There's a mobile detailer in my area who is highly recommended so I think I'm going to start having him come by once a month.

He charges $150 for the job. Clay bar, Zaino, etc.

Normally if it was a guy working for someone else at a shop, etc. I would tip him for sure. But this guy runs his own little business and he's going to make $150 in about an hour and a half.

So my question is, do I tip him on top of that?

Last edited by limitup; 04-26-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:48 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
If he does a great job yes, $20. If not, no. The tip gets you an even better job next time and also makes sure he can "fit your car in" next time.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:13 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Yes.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:36 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Just for the record, $150 for full zaino ... that's a great deal!

Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I need the digits....

Old 04-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys.

Matt, his name is Brian Hare and his number is 972-712-4721. He has a website too at http://www.zainomobiledetail.com He should be here in a few minutes, I'll let you know how it comes out ...

Old 04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
He uses Dawn dishwash detergent..........to remove the wax.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know much about detailing cars but I've heard from tons of detailers that Dawn is what they normally use for the first wash, to strip off any old and usually inferior waxes.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, Dawn is great at removing your old Wax.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:42 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by limitup
I don't know much about detailing cars but I've heard from tons of detailers that Dawn is what they normally use for the first wash, to strip off any old and usually inferior waxes.

yeap, one of my best friends is a mobile detailer and uses it too. however everyone has their choice and many are against the dawn use.

My friend says he rarely gets tipped. So it's up to you

Old 04-26-2004, 03:06 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
The dishwashing soap is fine to use to strip the car down, need a clean base to start.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by ColorChange
Just for the record, $150 for full zaino ... that's a great deal!
I'll say...for full claybar and Zaino polish... I don't even work that cheap...

Old 04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
yeap, one of my best friends is a mobile detailer and uses it too. however everyone has their choice and many are against the dawn use.

For what it is worth, Zaino explicitly recommends the use of Dawn Blue to prep the car for the Zaino app. Once Zaino is on, you must use their wash soap so as to not wash away your prior hardwork in Zaino polish layers...

Old 04-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Yup, it came out awesomely too. He actually showed up with a helper and they were here for about 1.5 hours going at it. Highly recommended for anyone in the DFW area.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by rockitman
Once Zaino is on, you must use their wash soap so as to not wash away your prior hardwork in Zaino polish layers...
Yup, he sold me some of that too, and a microfiber washing mitt, before he left. Sharp guy LOL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you tip a mobile detailer?