996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

32hp and 22ftlbs Gained - My New Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
32hp and 22ftlbs Gained - My New Project

Update 9/10/07 -
IF YOU WANT TO PREORDER go here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/45355

use coupon code 6SPDINTAKE during checkout to get the $100 discount. These will be shipping in 2 weeks.

Well... like everything else we do, we like to give a better solution and more affordable price to have your PCar movin quickly. I have been wanting to do this project for quite some time and just got around to having my fabricator able to get with me on it. I have ran and dynoed all the major intakes for the 996TT and even the 996C2. I have tested just the K&N flat panel and stock box, the Fabspeed Intake with BMC filter, EVOMS intake, and I have even compared some of them to each other.

Back in the day Fabspeed hooked me up with their metal add ons for the stock box and BMC filter. We tested this against a flat panel, and against a stock box. Drove it around for a bit and then decided to part ways. Good results and no CEL. Here was our tests -
http://www.myvividracing.com/showthread.php?t=20334

Even with all the posts on the EVO intake, i decided to run one. I had it in the car for maybe 2 months. Even some of my local customers had them. Great looking product, good noticeable gains, and cool sound. This is before their recent update, so I did blow 2 MAF's. Now that problem from what I hear through the grapevine is non existant.
http://www.myvividracing.com/gallery...p?i=3658&c=173

Now we have changed and recalibrated the dyno after this dyno above, so numbers will not line up to my new dyno below. This was changed December 2006.

So... I built an intake, hooray. An intake that would guarantee cause NO check engine lights. An intake that was affordable, yet stylish, and an intake that made power all across the board. We did not just slap together some pieces. We actually went through 3 different designs testing on the road and dyno. We tested everything from MAF signals, air speed, temperature, and of course HP/TQ. We compared the intake dyno runs back to back with the stock box using the stock filter. We wanted to make sure that what we built would be a direct bolt on for the 996TT guy wanting a little extra juice without having to go through programming if he did not want to. Tuning would only be a benefit.

Going through our designs, it is apparent why builders such as EVO, ULT, and Porsche have there designs like they do. So the only thing that is possible is to build something that makes sense. To make sure there would be no CEL issues, we spoke with our people at K&N which supply us with their great filters for the intake. We talked about MAF faults, filter oil, and more. To solve the CEL issue, we created a screen system much like the factory honey comb in the stock box to keep the air laminar. This was noticeably different when doing MAF signal tests with our AutoEnginuity Scan Tool (Full Porsche Support). After speaking with K&N on the oil issue with MAF's, it was apparent that the filter out of the box was NOT the issue, and it was the consumer over oiling the filter when "recharging" it that would cause the issue. Check out this video - http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422

So after making sure all our ducks were in a row, we tested the final prototype we were working on. We achieved some great results.

Between 3400 and 4800 rpm we went gained a max of 22ft/lbs of torque. The lowest gain was 15ft/lbs. The torque was constantly greater then with the stock box. From 4800 to 6000 rpm it gained about 28ft/lbs max.

On the horsepower side, starting at 3200 rpm's, the intake always made more HP then the stock box to redline. At around 4000 rpm's it made as much as 18 wheel horsepower. At 5200 rpm's the horsepower stayed consistant where the stock box had a drop in power. The spread at 5500 rpm was as much as 30 wheel horsepower.

Overall at the 2 peaks, the intake made 7hp difference at redline and then 21 ft/lbs as the dyno reads. Our room was AC'd but as soon as we opened the doors here in August, game over. 94F degrees. At least is was not the 110F it was outside. We had fans directly air to the intercoolers and to the intake to simulate a real world driving experience.

Addition to what we have now, we will be adding on a second inlet option which will be like the 997 where the intake gets air from 2 locations of the rear decklid. Stay tuned for that. We will also be releasing our air intake temp numbers at different driving conditions on the street, highway and track as soon as we can.

The intake will be available in 2 colors, have a reuseable K&N custom air filter, and be a direct bolt on for your car. We will also be giving a guarantee on CEL and MAF's The price of the intake will be about $500 full retail once done. We expect the release to be in September along with our Piggyback ECU system and Turbo kit for 600whp. If you want to be kept updated, send me a email to dan@vividracing.com.

I look forward to further sharing this with you guys.

Last edited by vividracing; 09-10-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Tell us more about the turbo kit if you can. You only glossed over it.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
keepin the focus on the intake for now my man

Old 08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
ok, I was just being greedy

Old 08-16-2007, 04:38 PM
S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !
Ill take one...I hate this Evoms thing. They are very short on the phone and offer NO solution. I will say they are very quick to grab the money from your hand though. So please let me get inline and be one of the 1st to buy on.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Interested in the intake myself. Let me know if you need any testers cause I'll buy one early!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor
Sorry to hear that. Send me an email to dan@vividracing.com with topic 996TT Intake. Include your contact info. You will be on the list.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
I will be in LA till wed, once I get back we will finish getting everything together. September is only a couple weeks away. I will definitely help out some of the first buyers for PR reasons.

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
kris is infamous around these parts
put me on the list Dan

Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor
send me an email please. I am really excited to share the final piece with everyone.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Nice gaurantees..I'm game! Are you offering replacement MAF's if they blow??

Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 AM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
i'm interested too....was hesitant with the EVO intake because of all the MAF problems....let me know how I can be a part of the first partakers...

TIA

Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool Dan, I am glad you are bringing in new parts and without the "Porsche Tax". If they are what your stating... you have a great seller in the works! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
me too.......

Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
Nice gaurantees..I'm game! Are you offering replacement MAF's if they blow??
I'm definitely game if this is part of the deal!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 32hp and 22ftlbs Gained - My New Project