996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Canadians DRL issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Canadians DRL issues

Hi guys,

well, I've finally pulled the trigger and picked up a Turbo S. I feel like a kid in a candy store. No wait, more like an adult in the Porsche FACTORY .

Anyway, I'm bringing it to Canada and so need to activate the DRL. Anyone in Canada already done this to their car? How much from your dealer? Can you DIY? Which lights are the actual DRL's (on my Audi it's the fogs)?

I expect, unless there is a fairly simple DIY fix, I'll do it through the dealer, but the US dealer is quoting me $550 to do this (seems high for just a light activation, but I don't know what else may be involved). I don't know yet what the CDN dealer is going to charge, and I thought I'd query the forum to see what some of my fellow Canucks might have paid.

Any thoughts on an LED strip inside the front scoop (like the 997TT or the Audi S6)?

Thanks in advance for your anticipated replies, and thanks to all for the many very helpful posts before I finally chose my car.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 AM
fdss is infamous around these parts
I just brought a 2002 996tt with 5400 miles into Canada.
I would advise you to get the dealer in the U.S. to put in the daytime running lights for you. They charge $250. compared to $600+ they do in Canada. You can also get the dealer doing the daytime lights to type a letter on the dealer's letterhead that there are no outstanding recalls. The dealer that did the PPI for you can do this as well.

If you need anymore info, send me a PM

Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Here is your answer, I did this to my car after I imported it from the US.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/

Old 08-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Thanks BigBadBen, I had seen that link earlier, but wasn't sure if it ran the Xenon's, and if it ran the Xenon's only. I didn't really want to run them, but I suppose it's that way or no way. When you did the mod, when your car is running, is it JUST the xenon's or do the sides/rear/park lights come on too??

Wow, lots on your car. Did you do that after or before it was imported??

Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Loose is infamous around these parts
I've heard that BMW dealers in AB are gouging for drl activation and recall letters, trying to "get back" at people importing cars. I'd definetly try to get those things sorted out in the states.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Mercedes dealers, IMO, are definately gouging up here. An SL500 my pop brought in was dinged not just for front and rear bumper shocks/assemblies (5mph vs 3), but MB also wanted to change out the dash dials so that the CDN version (KM over Miles) was installed. THAT part was really unnecessary, but no clearance letter without it....

Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Signal-9 is infamous around these parts
If your pop had checked with the RIV beforehand he would have known that Mercedes are nightmares to bring in because of the changes needed for the bumpers.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Signal, yeah thanks. He already knew that, and the cost for the conversion, and it was still worth it. But, IMO, i still think that the dash retro was an unnecessary cash grab. Bumper shocks, yeah cool. MB ONLY inspection, OK, whatever, but CHANGE the gauges?!? That part was unnecessary. Anyway, way OT, but good for all to know.

Back to topic, Bigbad, with your car running, which lights in total comprise your DRL (just the xenon's, or do the sides/tails/parks come on too)?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Signal-9 is infamous around these parts
agreed, dash is a cash grab...

there is no need to show kilometers... =)

Old 08-18-2007, 07:07 PM
kris is infamous around these parts
Do you want DRL? If not, just leave your lights on when you bring the car in for the RIV inspection. You should be fine, I was.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 PM
kcphuah is infamous around these partskcphuah is infamous around these parts
I am wondering for those who have imported your cars into Canada, do you have any hardtime finding car leasing co. doing leases for US imports?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
fdss is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kcphuah
I am wondering for those who have imported your cars into Canada, do you have any hardtime finding car leasing co. doing leases for US imports?
If you have a good relationship with an independant leasing company it should not be difficult. You have to remember that you have to buy the car first them have them buy it and lease it back to you. Leasing companies have to keep their relationship with new car dealers and US cars are costing them business.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Here is your answer, I did this to my car after I imported it from the US.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/
I would like to do the opposite... I have an X-Canadian Turbo-S that all the gauges and stuff have been converted on, but the Xenon's never turn off! hehehe... wish they would... can't hide down a side road after running from the law with those arc-welders running.

Seth