996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Quarter Mile times on STREET TIRES??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Quarter Mile times on STREET TIRES??

Has anyone run "in the 10's" on 19" street tires ??

If not what is the best time run on street tires ?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM
tom03lightning is infamous around these parts
Not sure on the 996 TT's, AWD guys would obviously have an advantage.

I'm pretty sure for the viper guys 10.4 on 20's is the quickest so far......not sure on vette's and well supra's why bother on street tires.

T

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Has anyone run "in the 10's" on 19" street tires ??

If not what is the best time run on street tires ?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I dont car about those others,

996 TT with AWD, that is what this thread is.
AWD in a 996TT is not an advantage

MK

Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Marty, I went 11.25 @ 136 in my black 996TT with a GT700 pkg. I was on Conti sport contact 2's on my 19" HREs. 60' was 1.9

Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Joe,

thanks alot, I am a newbie at this and only want to embarass myself
so much. I appreciate it.

GREAT TRAP SPEED !!

MK

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Marty

I am assuming you are referring to drag strip and street tires. If you have the 1 mile run in sight, bear in mind that your 0-60mph will be close to a second (or more) slower than what you would get on the drag strip on one of these high HP cars..

Renntech , I am assuming that is AWD and with stock suspension? Tx

Old 08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey Marty, I drove to the track 200 miles, AWD, with James (aka two seats, full interior), ran in 100 degree heat on 18 inch street tires and did 10.62 @ 136mph in August of 2005. Over and over again.. I also weighed the car and it was 3380 without me and a 1/4 of a tank of gas. I got a few clips of it here
http://videos.g33kd.net/new10s.wmv

My suspension was "track" prepped (aka not good for drag racing) JRZ Tripple Adjustable etc... with 1100 pound springs lol!

Last edited by sharkster; 08-20-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
My best time is 10.45 @ 146 on 18" street tires.

Prior to that it was 10.65 @ 136 on the same 18" street tires.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
My best time is 10.45 @ 146 on 18" street tires.

Prior to that it was 10.65 @ 136 on the same 18" street tires.
Don't make marty bust out the AWD thing on ya

Great times man!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jean
Marty

Renntech , I am assuming that is AWD and with stock suspension? Tx
I was running with Techart lowered suspension.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
DO BFG DR's count as street tires, because they are, and many people run them in the rears of their cars. Or is it implied that a DR is not included.

I find it hard to beleive it's so hard to get in the 9's but so many people running mid tens without so much as a Drag Radial, and RWD at that.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Don't make marty bust out the AWD thing on ya

Great times man!
Oops...my bad. Best time with AWD, intake, exhaust and tune was 11.65 @ 126. That was on very old Pilot Sports (not PS2's)..and a 1.8 60'.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
DO BFG DR's count as street tires, because they are, and many people run them in the rears of their cars. Or is it implied that a DR is not included.

I find it hard to beleive it's so hard to get in the 9's but so many people running mid tens without so much as a Drag Radial, and RWD at that.
I see DR's of any brand as a street tire. If they can be driven in the rain and daily its a street tire. I think the PS2's are one of the best tires for traction thats a non-DR.

The difference is people are doing the 10s are relying on the car to spin a tiny bit and powering their way down the track. To see the 9s they need to 60ft the car which requires it to hook which as you know can destroy everything on the driveline. Wheel hop is the devil!!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I think it will depend on who you ask. But IMO, any DOT approved, street-legal tire...should be considered a street tire. To me...this definition includes both drag radials and r-compounds. I run DR's on my car 100% of the time, and they drive perfectly fine on the street. I have yet to install my r-compounds in my garage, but I will eventually.

Now, if Marty is asking about street tires other than DR's and r-compounds, than of course that's different. But since all street tires have varying degress of stickiness...where is the line drawn if not at DOT regulations?

I believe that all of the RWD cars that have hit 10's were running either drag radials or r-compounds (Cleve Meredith went 10.8 in his GT700 GT2 on r-compounds). Many of the AWD cars as well.

The really fast cars are running 17" MT drag slicks...which are far, far stickier than your "regular" DR's are (i.e., BFG DR, Nitto DR, etc..).

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-20-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
I see DR's of any brand as a street tire. If they can be driven in the rain and daily its a street tire. I think the PS2's are one of the best tires for traction thats a non-DR.

The difference is people are doing the 10s are relying on the car to spin a tiny bit and powering their way down the track. To see the 9s they need to 60ft the car which requires it to hook which as you know can destroy everything on the driveline. Wheel hop is the devil!!
I agree with you, but obviously there is an advantage to a DR that you will have over a PS2. I think people should list their types of tires, because mid 10's on DR's is easily beleivable, but that same time on PS2's is hard for me to beleive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quarter Mile times on STREET TIRES??