996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Double Din Head Unit RECOMMENDATIONS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:16 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Double Din Head Unit RECOMMENDATIONS!

Hey guys!

With the weather getting colder as we speak and my list of mods getting longer and longer, i think it's about time to mod the sound system on the car!

I was thinking about getting all of it done at once, head unit, speakers, cd changer, backup camera, subs, nav, amps...

head unit - i was thinking about double din, touch screen
speakers - focal utopia all around
CD changer - 10 dics?
Subs - 2 10" focal utopia
Amps - not sure yet, any recommendations?

any recommendations/pics would be great!!!

oh yeah, any recommended installer in the NY/CT/NJ area? I want a guy who knows what he's doing.. no broken tabs.. etc etc etc

thanks guys!!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
my suggestion is Avic D2 head unit(has in dash CD and navi slot) or the Avic D3 with CD changer. Alipine sub amp where the old cd changer went under the hood and a carauioinnovations.com sub box for a custom perfect fit in the rear deck. GL

this set up sounds ridiculous!

S

Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack

Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
i wonder who made that

Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Pioneer AVIC Z1 or Z2

Old 08-24-2007, 04:08 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I love my Avic-D3. One has to leave the DVD in it to have dynamic GPS re-mapping.....if you want to pull it out and have that feature, get a higher end unit.

I like it a lot. See my signature for the "system" it has allowed for me. I might even add a reversing camera (no issues to do this, just 250$).

Old 08-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
Love my Kenwood DNX7100, by far the easiest nav system I've used. Uses a hard drive for fast routing. Have an Eclipse in the mini-van and Lexus Nav gets me looping around sometimes.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
LV_V is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Wheelman
Love my Kenwood DNX7100, by far the easiest nav system I've used. Uses a hard drive for fast routing. Have an Eclipse in the mini-van and Lexus Nav gets me looping around sometimes.
Did he say m..m...m...minivan??? Runnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
hahahahaa...sorry, busted!! I'm a poser but the women luvs da minivan!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
hmm... nobody recommends alphine?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 PM
RCNJ is infamous around these parts
I have a double din Kenwood Excelon 7" head unit, Kenwood Nav unit, and Kenwood 6 disc changer available that came out of my Turbo. It was in the car for 9 months. It's in brand new condition. Let me know if you're interested.

Raudel

Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I am also trying to make this decision. What likes or dislikes do you have about the various units listed above?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
for some reason many on the board love the kenwoods.
the new versions are good from what i hear since they come already with some features that are considered options (ipod, xm or sirius radio) on other units.

i will post a thread in a few days once i get my faceplate done,
but i just finshed installing an eclipse avn 5510. navi features are great. but main reason i purchased it was because of the 5v preout and the built in 7 band paramentric eq.

install was a ***** since eclipse dont even supply a double din cage. i had to get the cage from a kenwood unit, from a shop. then once the cage arrived their were still some difficulties.

shoot me a pm if you have any questions. i hooked up morel elates (3 ways) to an audison lrx 6.9 (running at 3 channels. 220wrms x 2 for front, and 300wrms for subs at 4 o hms). sounds unreal.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I used a pro shop for my install...I think full install with about 5 options, teaching (complex...), and custom fab...about 200 dollars. For 8 hours....great deal. Audio installers are used to Honda budgets, etc.

The local PCA friendly dealer pointed me there....the sales manager had them do his 996tt...so they were pretty expert (I was about the 8th 996...).

I suspect if I can find a good shop in a middle sized place like Harrisburg, there are good shops in many places...could be wrong.

Key for me was the recommendation of the local Pcar gurus....

JB