996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Battery died... what to brand/make replace it with?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Battery died... what to brand/make replace it with?

So this weekend I went to start the car and the battery was a no go... I trickle charged it and still nothing. I guess it's time to replace it and wanted to get some opinions on what to replace it with. I use my car primarily on weekends and store it for a good portion of the winter. My requirements are as follows..

1. Lighter than stock by at least 20lbs...
2. Does not need trickle charger if left for 2-3 weeks...
3. Less than $500 in total including (if nessesary new battery tray and mount)

I am thinking of a Optima Red top or some sort of other dry cell battery. Also considering the Sharkwerks setup but don't know how well it will hold a charge without daily driving.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:39 AM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Autozone...#48. Perfect fit, lasts at least 2 yrs., 36 lbs. $70.00. That's what I have. It sits for 1 month, starts right up.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Your requirement about regularly standing for weeks and hold-a-charge is
unrealistic. The car has a small drain on the battery at all times, so repeated
long-term standing will be bad for any battery. The stock battery is not as
good as the Sears batteries or the Optima types, but my stock battery lasted
6 years because I used the Porsche battery maintainer that plugs into the
cigarette lighter.
Keep it charged and it lasts. Let it drain and it'll eventually stop holding a charge.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by str8blst
So this weekend I went to start the car and the battery was a no go... I trickle charged it and still nothing. I guess it's time to replace it and wanted to get some opinions on what to replace it with. I use my car primarily on weekends and store it for a good portion of the winter. My requirements are as follows..

1. Lighter than stock by at least 20lbs...
2. Does not need trickle charger if left for 2-3 weeks...
3. Less than $500 in total including (if nessesary new battery tray and mount)

I am thinking of a Optima Red top or some sort of other dry cell battery. Also considering the Sharkwerks setup but don't know how well it will hold a charge without daily driving.

Any suggestions?
I have a 997 and use a custom tray offered by GMG and a Optima Yellow Top - both slighly less than your $500 threshold. Optima's are great - no acid venting and hold a charge for a long time.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Hey Alan,
Grab one of the OE Porsche maintainer and a small deka (jet ski) or braile (race car) battery. This is what we have been doing lately without any issues.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Thanks for the input guys. I just picked up a Interstate MTP-91. Seems a bit smaller and lighter than stock. I'll have to weigh both when I get home.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
Hey Alan,
Grab one of the OE Porsche maintainer and a small deka (jet ski) or braile (race car) battery. This is what we have been doing lately without any issues.
East-Penn Deka makes Braille, and is 1/2 the price.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
East-Penn Deka makes Braille, and is 1/2 the price.
There is a Deka Jet Ski battery that is ALMOST identical to the braile...but the battery tester will show slightly different CCA's.

For 54 bucks Ill replace the deka battery every year....

Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
There is a Deka Jet Ski battery that is ALMOST identical to the braile...but the battery tester will show slightly different CCA's.

For 54 bucks Ill replace the deka battery every year....
I think it depends on the model. More testing info:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060

Another inexpensive Deka rebadge choice:

http://www.bigcrank.com/bigcrank_batteries.php

Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
Alan you didn't go wrong with the interstate that's what I put in ....weight on interstate is about 37 lbs and the weight on the stock is around 50....

plus a 80 month pro rated warranty I think that's not too bad.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Ha I got the interstate one also and put on the interstate maintainer at the same time...I just plug it in under the hood when I'm gone for a week or more...850CCA.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by str8blst
Thanks for the input guys. I just picked up a Interstate MTP-91. Seems a bit smaller and lighter than stock. I'll have to weigh both when I get home.
If it's smaller (different L and W) you may have trouble with the holddown clamp - better check the dimensions first to see if it fits.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If it's smaller (different L and W) you may have trouble with the holddown clamp - better check the dimensions first to see if it fits.
It fits perfectly...

Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
2nd if fits perfectly.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Put the battery in last night. I had to move the mounting bracket over one hole since this battery is one size smaller than OEM but it fit perfectly and shaved about 10-15 lbs as well. For the money you can't beat it. I paid $90+tax.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery died... what to brand/make replace it with?