996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I bought a new car from Kevin at UMW ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Wink I bought a new car from Kevin at UMW ...

Well, ... not really -- Kevin at UMW has NOT expanded his business to selling cars. But I did just get Kevin's ECU programming, and it is a noticeable increase in power.

I don't usually double post the same thread on two different boards, but I would like to thank Kevin publicly for his helpfulness.

I bought my car 2 years ago (used '01 996tt), and came to the conclusion (with the help of forum members) that my ECU was flashed. In search of more power, I contacted Kevin at UMW off and on via email over the past year, and he told me that his ECU programming could improve on my current performance. I chose UMW because of Kevin's reputation for customer service and immense knowledge of the Porsche Turbos. Kevin even asked me what octane gas I have in my area prior to the programming. I started the ECU tuning process about a week ago, and after a few FedEx packages back and forth, I loaded the UMW ECU program today.

Definitely more power in the mid through upper RPM range, and more enjoyable to drive. The Pocket Programmer (named PP100 in the paperwork) is small -- about 3.5 x 1.8 x 1 inches -- and the included instructions are easy enough even for me to follow. The UMW price was about the same as my local GIAC supplier, but at the same price I get to keep the PP100 and can reflash from performance to stock files whenever I want to (but I don't think I want to!).

Thank you Kevin for your help and support. I am glad to be a member of the UMW family.

Steve

Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrads! Now the maddness is about to begin

Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Street is infamous around these parts
Awesome, Have fun.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
You dunno what you're missing ... You think the UMW Flash is a new car?? HA ... wait till you slap on the UMW Zero Clearance ...

Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Kevin's boost is good!

Congrats.

MK

Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
OMG...he asked you what octane you had in your area...WOW...now that is customer service!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
OMG...he asked you what octane you had in your area...WOW...now that is customer service!
LOL LOL LOL LOL I believe GIAC offers a programmer also no? oh Yeah, I have one. LOL Good luck with your newly found power!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 AM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
So what was the cost?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:07 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Highhats
LOL LOL LOL LOL I believe GIAC offers a programmer also no? oh Yeah, I have one. LOL Good luck with your newly found power!
GIAC does not offer a programmer, you don't have one. You have a switcher.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Switcher, programmer they all do the same thing. Once files are in the Programmer, then the unit is just a switcher. Im pretty positive you can not make any fuel or boost changes with Kevins little GIAC look alike switcher. so basically what he has is a switcher also w/ valet modes. BLAH!

To me programmer is something that u can use to change in depth charateristics not fuel programs. Also to me pulling the stock ECU takes about 10 mins of work. or I can go to any LOCAL Giac dealer and get flashed up. I dont think any local UMW dealers exist in my area.

S

Originally Posted by F**K
GIAC does not offer a programmer, you don't have one. You have a switcher.

Last edited by Highhats; 09-06-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
The difference is that Kevin programs the unit specifically for your mods, type of fuel, altitude, etc. GIAC, FVD, etc. is off the shelf...so they are not really the same. Granted you can't do the programming, but when you deal with Kevin he will adjust it multiple times...he did this for me with the LWFW low revs.