996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Joining the TTX50 Fold (?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:43 PM
trueloans is infamous around these parts
Robyn;

I have a TIP and I love it....Kind of wish I had ordered my 04 TT with it, but I do drive it alot in traffic, and it is just so smoooooth that I couldn't imagine having it any other way. My friend has a Z06 Vette, and I smoke him all the time!! Once you figure out how to power brake launch it, there are very few people that can beat you with a stick. I can hit a button way faster than someone can shift!!

Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
This particular TT is an 2002 TTX50 with 6600 miles. I think those are super low, so mileage isn't a concern. This car has been tracked, which concerns me. I know it's a bit contradictory, as I like to track my own cars. But not sure if I want someone elses track *****. I have to look into this.

I drive in NO traffic unless I go to LA or have errands to run in the Bay Area. Which is maybe once a week. And as far as not liking the the standard Porsche tranny, I haven't any issues. I like being able to take a TIP into SF for the weekends...and the all wheel drive. The X50 is nice, super nice the car is immaculate. The power of it...well, I can only say it's a beast. And the mods will be a kick in the ***!! But, see...I still say "but". I am going to ask the dealer if I can have the car for the weekend to help me make a better decision.

What sort of problems do Turbo's have? I don't want to have another RMS leak...I am SO tired of it.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your imput on this...!!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:09 AM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
The bottom line is if you enjoy shifting a manual, you should get the 6 speed. If you have no problem enjoying the drive without having to shift youself, get the tip.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:38 AM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
Robyn, get the 6speed.

You know, having a LWF makes it easier to get around. Add some muff bypasses and you have a nice little beast.

I think I'm going to pick up a 996TT as a daily driver couple years down the road...

Old 05-05-2004, 01:48 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Rob,
When push comes to shove, I think in the long run you will get greater enjoyment out of a 6 speed. I say this after reading your usage post above. The few times you will use it in traffic will not overbear the enjoyment you will get using the 6 speed in all other cases. Another benefit of the 6 speed is resale. Although I have not done any research to prove this, but I would suspect the resale would be slightly better with a 6 speed.
Besides, one of the best mods for the 996 series car is the short shifter! You would miss out on that!! LOL
The track use could and could not be a problem. The car has low mileage and I assume you will have it thoroughly checked out independently (Find an independent and do it!) regardless of the precertified claims of the dealer. So, if the independent comes up with nothing, you should be fine.
With regard to issues, the biggest is the Diverter Valves failing. Although I replaced mine with the sturdier units before they went bad, I understand that Porshe is now using the Bailey's DV's as a warranty replacement. So, even there, you should be good to go with a feeling of security that you will not be hit with some large out-of-warranty expense.
So, in my opinion, I would hang tight for a comparably equipped 6 speed X50 car that rocks your world.
Just my $0.02 since you asked.
Regards,
Ken

Old 05-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by RobynC

What sort of problems do Turbo's have? I don't want to have another RMS leak...I am SO tired of it.
The TT/GT2/GT3 engines do not suffer from this affliction. Completely different engines and trannys with a proven history.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Sloth
The TT/GT2/GT3 engines do not suffer from this affliction. Completely different engines and trannys with a proven history.
But this is Robyn were talking about....you have to put that in the mix.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
6 speed IMO

Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Tip, Tip no blip, no shifting, no fun, the fun is in shifting, nothing like getting on the highway or off from a light and going through the gears, just my opinion, go for the tradition, manual in this case, nothing other than a 6SPEED in a TT.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond here on my quandry. And I have come to one conclusion...

Life is too short to compromise!

As much as I liked the tip...it's not for me. I think after time, I would be bored with it and it's not something I want to ever regret having spent that much money on. I am a 6speed kinda girl, hands down.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and declined their offer. I think with as much as I have into my C2, and with the pending SC that I plan to put in her, she is going to be just perfect for me. It's hard to stop this modding business and I wouldn't have stopped with the X50 either. So for now, I'm sticking with my 996, with no regrets.

Again, thank you to everyone who responded, your remarks and opinions helped me make my decision!

Old 05-05-2004, 12:51 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by rockitman
Just my two cents, but having a tip in that car short changes you the full experience and the personal involvement the beast has to offer you. You certainly won't get board with a 6 speed. If you find yourself in stop and go traffic alot, a 6 speed would be tiresome and the tip would probably be a better choice...Best of luck on your decision...
I live in Chicago and traffic is always bad. I also work in Chicago so stop and go traffic is a daley occurance. You couldn't pay me enough to buy a Tip turbo. No offense, but if I want an auto that takes away from the driving experience, I'll buy a Mercedes.