996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Joining the TTX50 Fold (?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Joining the TTX50 Fold (?)

I need some help...

Tonight, I test drove my second X50. This car was in everyway perfect for me, color and all. (Yes, SY) I wasn't too happy with my last test drive of the X50, it felt like it was a LOT of car. Immense torque, HP, delivery...awesome feedback. What made this one so different? It's a TIP.

I am really torn, I really loved the test drive of this amazing car so much, I worked numbers and all I need to do is sign. But, it's the TIP that concerns me.

Anyone have any words of wisdome who own a TIP, tried a TIP out...got bored with a TIP after while...still have it and love it...anything...help!! I really appreciate it before I spring for this car. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Just my two cents, but having a tip in that car short changes you the full experience and the personal involvement the beast has to offer you. You certainly won't get board with a 6 speed. If you find yourself in stop and go traffic alot, a 6 speed would be tiresome and the tip would probably be a better choice...Best of luck on your decision...

Old 05-04-2004, 12:17 PM
OKHJOON190 is infamous around these parts
6 speed definately ... the fun in the 6 speed completely makes up for the time in traffic

Old 05-04-2004, 01:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: Joining the TTX50 Fold (?)

Originally posted by RobynC
I need some help...

Tonight, I test drove my second X50. This car was in everyway perfect for me, color and all. (Yes, SY) I wasn't too happy with my last test drive of the X50, it felt like it was a LOT of car. Immense torque, HP, delivery...awesome feedback. What made this one so different? It's a TIP.

I am really torn, I really loved the test drive of this amazing car so much, I worked numbers and all I need to do is sign. But, it's the TIP that concerns me.

Anyone have any words of wisdome who own a TIP, tried a TIP out...got bored with a TIP after while...still have it and love it...anything...help!! I really appreciate it before I spring for this car. Thanks!
Robyn, don't get the tip!!! It's really slow (ask Watt and Wilbur).. on second thoughts, no it's not

If you need to do anymore test driving let me know!

Old 05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Porsche Chick
Alex, I was hoping you would pipe in on this. I don't have your telephone number or I would have called you on my little run tonight with that thing. Help!! I can't believe it, but I LOVED the drive....and I am torn as I don't want to get bored with it after time.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:14 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Alex, I was hoping you would pipe in on this. I don't have your telephone number or I would have called you on my little run tonight with that thing. Help!! I can't believe it, but I LOVED the drive....and I am torn as I don't want to get bored with it after time.
I honestly never get bored with it. It's so fast, stops great and has great suspension that it takes turns just fine, goes in a staight line etc... and all with the aid of tapping some thumb buttons. OK so it might not be as "involving" not having to work your left foot but as far as a daily D goes in the Bay Area, I've yet to find something that's so easy to drive peacefully and yet so easy to drive brutally when you want to. As far as tip's not being as "fast" on the track, that's just not true and we proved that. The fact that it is about 90 pounds heavier than the 6speed is a pain but that's easily remedied.

It's 408-528-7774. I'm about to hit the sack tonight but I'll be at Bob's tomorrow (Los Altos) in the morning finishing up the GT2 bumper thing (a LOOOOONG story but it has a happy ending). So anytime then we can chat

PS The other thing you mentioned is with time "maybe getting bored". I understand that concern and there's a very easy remedy called -MODDING. Everytime you get slightly bored with it, the Tip TT is just so easy to modify and you can change it's charachter in no time at all.

PPS Even Stephen and Kevin, long-time 6 speed die harders said hats off to the Tip.

Last edited by sharkster; 05-04-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:24 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Robyn, if you even think that you may get bored with the TIP, why take that chance? Stick with a 6-speed. Don't rush into anything. Take your time. The right car will be there.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Porsche Chick
I'll give you a call tomorrow ...I am going to attempt to get the car for the weekend and put her through some paces. Thanks for the offer of help. I will talk to you in the morning.

I already see it now... can you say Techart?? I need to sell those Kinesis that I just bought if I do this.....argh!! I'm sick I tell ya...sick. Do I or don't I??? Like I'm gonna get any sleep tonight?

Old 05-04-2004, 01:34 PM
I'll give you a call tomorrow ...I am going to attempt to get the car for the weekend and put her through some paces. Thanks for the offer of help. I will talk to you in the morning.

I already see it now... can you say Techart?? I need to sell those Kinesis that I just bought if I do this.....argh!! I'm sick I tell ya...sick. Do I or don't I??? Like I'm gonna get any sleep tonight?
Hehe sounds cool. I think that's a really good idea if you can drive it for the day/weekend... We'll go on some spirited drives on the weekend then. An unnoffical meet

PS I am the worst person to ask whether to do it tho- you know my answer hehe.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually one thing that might be of concern is the high miles on the car...

Make sure it's everything you want, it's a lot of $$$ to dish out and if you're not 100% sure I might just wait....another will come along...

Last edited by Itzkirb; 05-04-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 PM
lcheng2 is infamous around these parts
Robyn,
I also have the X50 Tip. It is certainly not as involving as the 6-speed but I think most people are faster in a Tip. So it really come down to what you want most, driving involvement or speed?
Tip or 6-speed the TT is a great car. I am not sure about the X50 package though you can get much more than 35hp for close to 18k. The X50 however does carry a stronger tranny that it should be good for upto 650hp mod (based on the guy who did my car). For anything less than 600hp, the regular TT tranny should be fine.
Any way,good luck with your choice.
Lawrence
03ttx50

Old 05-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
With the Tip. you can save 200 dollars by not having to buy a B&M SS.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
There are only two reasons to get a TIP on an X-50. All of the other reasons are a rationalization about a specific color etc. Those two reasons IMHO: (1) You drive in a lot of traffic all the time with lots of hills. (2) You hate a standard transmission. Anything outside of this and you are fooling yourself. (Actually there is a third reason but it involves an amputated upper extremity and that situation is pretty rare I think, and I don't want to be politically incorrect or unsympathetic)

Last edited by james; 05-04-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Isn't this 6-speedonline.com? Get the 6-speed and go for it!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
RobynC, I am probably one of the oldest person in age only, on the board. I have never owned a tip or automatic transmission. Not even my first car. Manual is just much more fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Joining the TTX50 Fold (?)