996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Which convertable would you get?
BMW Z8
79.55%
BMW 645CiC Sport
20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which Convertable Would You Get, BMW Z8 or BMW 645Ci Sport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 05:57 AM
jroy is infamous around these parts
z8 is it....

Old 05-06-2004, 06:39 AM
GermanCarFan is infamous around these parts
I'm with the majority here....Z8.

Check these out

Old 05-06-2004, 07:20 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
sell the dam sebring and buy an SL65 - come on now Lou !

Old 05-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I had the opportunity to drive a Z8 for about a week. I can only describe it as "spectacular". It's a great sports car, lots of power, pretty good handling, and looked to be well built.

After a golf match, I "ran" a Ferrari 355 for several miles in the twisties. The Z8 could have passed the 355 at any time. I cannot comment on the 355 driver's ability, but I was very impressed with the Z8. Convertable, rare, nice looking, well built, I'd buy one in an instant...

Good luck.
Roy

Old 05-06-2004, 09:36 AM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
I have always distained BMW's but the Z8 is the only one I have ever given a second glance at. Very retro looking. If I had to choose between the 2 cars it would be the Z8.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by LSM
What would you suggest?? MB? The 645ci runs circles around even the AMG version, outhandling it in every test. The 645ci also out accelerates the standard 500, and I do not like MB numb steering, poor handling or slush box. The Z8 handles much better and is just a tick off the AMG. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks buddy.

Lou
Sorry, I didnt clarify, I didnt want to give my opinion cuz of what you said in the first post, to only choose between the 2. Last thing I want to do is **** you off

I have driven the Z8 and the 645ci as well as numerous others. My favorite convertibles run in this order (in this price range):

1. SL55 AMG/600
2. Turbo cab
3. C4S cab
4. Maserati Spyder (yes, that one)
5. CLK55 cab

A bit on the more expensive side:

Aston Martin DB7 vantage volante
Ferrari 360 spyder

I love the SL55 - one of my all time favs. For obvious reasons you wouldn't look at 2 and 3. The Maserati has the worst resale value in the world, and most people will say the F1 shifting sucks and its ugly or whatever, but hell, I have driven it and love it. Obviously I would buy a used 2003 for like 68-72K for this one.

Now, I DO appreciate both the Z8 and the 645Cic, so if I had to choose one, i'd flip a coin. The Z8 has more prestige and is quite fun to drive, but the 645cic is pimp.

Yes I know, my response didnt help

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 05-07-2004, 02:49 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by lee2375
Sorry, I didnt clarify, I didnt want to give my opinion cuz of what you said in the first post, to only choose between the 2. Last thing I want to do is **** you off

I have driven the Z8 and the 645ci as well as numerous others. My favorite convertibles run in this order (in this price range):

1. SL55 AMG/600
2. Turbo cab
3. C4S cab
4. Maserati Spyder (yes, that one)
5. CLK55 cab

A bit on the more expensive side:

Aston Martin DB7 vantage volante
Ferrari 360 spyder

I love the SL55 - one of my all time favs. For obvious reasons you wouldn't look at 2 and 3. The Maserati has the worst resale value in the world, and most people will say the F1 shifting sucks and its ugly or whatever, but hell, I have driven it and love it. Obviously I would buy a used 2003 for like 68-72K for this one.

Now, I DO appreciate both the Z8 and the 645Cic, so if I had to choose one, i'd flip a coin. The Z8 has more prestige and is quite fun to drive, but the 645cic is pimp.

Yes I know, my response didnt help
Peter,

I never get pissed about differing opinions. No worries buddy. I sometimes write something and my tone seems rough, I can see that. I am a hothead and a pretty intense guy, so when I am passionate about something, it may come off the wrong way.

To be honest, I love the Sl for what it is, I just prefer BMW's in spite of Mangles recent creations I simply stated what I did because I figured everyone would say "what about the SL" I wanted to clarify that I was looking for a sportier type drop top, basically a BMW. Most I know would chose the SL, which I understand completely, just not what I am looking for. Also, I am 6'4" and have trouble with the room in the SL. Believe it or not, even in the Z8 I am much more comfortable than the SL. As far as the Maser, I think its a great value at $68-70k, problem is that it is smaller than the coupe and my head sticks over the windshield with my knees in my mouth Anyway, wanted to clarify my harsh tone and don't want anyone to mistake it for anything but being passionate about something and having a very strong opinion.

Lou

Old 05-07-2004, 02:57 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Get the SL, world class car, world class style. Neighbor has one and loves it. I would own one but 3 coups is one too many, thus teh E55.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:05 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by ColorChange
Get the SL, world class car, world class style. Neighbor has one and loves it. I would own one but 3 coups is one too many, thus teh E55.
tIM,

SL is definately not for me because of aforementioned reasons. A convertable to most is a highway cruiser, a get out relax have fun car. To me, I want a car that drives and handles like a BMW. No offense, there just isn't any comparison between BMW's and MB's driving dynamics. The two companies have different target markets...........MB median age for their buyers is like 50, BMW's is 35-40.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Proteinbeast is infamous around these parts
Z8, you see an SL everytime you turn your head.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
Z8 all the way. It's like already a classic, and most mags still rave about that V8, years after it was introduced. I guess it will keep a decent resale, especially compared to the 645 (like everyone else here, I'm convinced prices will drop when the hype calms down).

Old 05-07-2004, 03:47 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Maybe it's just because I'm older but I drive different cars for different purposes/moods.

I like an awesome sedan -> E55AMG
I like an awesome sports car -> Porsche 996TT
I like an awesome exotic -> Lamborghini Countach

Since I have the sporting world so well covered in the tt, it is a lot easier to accept an automatic cruiser for "casual" driving. When I want something different, I take the other vehicle.

I think you would cover an awesome part of the car owning experience with and SL55 and your TT. There is a lot of overlap with the Z8 and the tt, not much with the SL. Am I explaining my idea?

Old 05-07-2004, 05:08 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Proteinbeast
Z8, you see an SL everytime you turn your head.
Yup. When they first came out, I could just look and stare for what felt like hours. Now, everytime one passes, I don't even turn my head. Not that it's not a gorgeous car with fantastic lines, just the glamour has worn off for me. I think AMG ought to have a different look than the standard sport package. At least a little anyway, ala 545i Sport vs M5. Much different, there is no mistaking the two.

Lou

Old 05-07-2004, 05:14 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I'd still take an SL55 over the Z8, but in this comparison Z8 easily trumps the convertible 6.

The new 6 is straight ugly and I happen to be a big fan of the 7, 5, and Z4.

Z8's got the phenomenal M engine. Z8's got the low production numbers. Z8's got the interior by a wide margin. It is a classic. The answer is so obvious it's not even a comparison.

Good luck,

Old 05-07-2004, 05:47 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Benjamin Choi
I'd still take an SL55 over the Z8, but in this comparison Z8 easily trumps the convertible 6.

The new 6 is straight ugly and I happen to be a big fan of the 7, 5, and Z4.

Z8's got the phenomenal M engine. Z8's got the low production numbers. Z8's got the interior by a wide margin. It is a classic. The answer is so obvious it's not even a comparison.

Good luck,
You know, the more I look at the pics and drive the cars, the more your words ring true. Not really a comparison between the two. The Z8 is so much more car, and much, much more fun to drive. To this day, I have only seen 1 Z8 in my life on the street. Obviously I have seen them at the dealership, but, never on the road except that one time three years ago.

lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Convertable Would You Get, BMW Z8 or BMW 645Ci Sport?