996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need a new clutch - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks John. I need to figure out what I currently have for a pressure plate.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Robert@Redline is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Wait, I'm confused now...isn't the stock disc sprung?
The stock disc on the 996TT, GT2 and GT3 is not sprung.

Last edited by Robert@Redline; 09-16-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
roadsterdoc,

This is what the GT2 disk looks like...

Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for posting that John. That GT2 disc is certainly un-sprung. The friction material looks organic but I suspect it is compounded with Kevlar.

The GT3RS disc is sprung, so it would be much more streetable. Does anyone know the max torque rating of the GT3RS disc?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zippy
JB, I emailed Kevin and he was telling me a bit about his clutch. Which disks are you using? Keving mentioned there where 2 different options. How much modulation room do you have to feather the clutch?

Thanks!
I told Kevin it was unlikely I would go over 900HP , so I have the LWFW which he said was a 964RS unit. The plate has springs. I have the same amount of room as the stock unit to moduate. That is not an issue. I actually like the noise. It is made by sachs (clutch) if not Porsche OEM. It all worked right out of the box. To be honest, I am not sure....

Kevin's receipt calls it:

"Sachs Motorsport Race Clutch Package"

Please confirm if this is a specific model for him. I simply cannot remember. I was stuck in a bad spot and he got it to my mechanic the next day no questions asked with my calling him late....like minutes before fedex shut down in his area. To say I am happy with UMW is an understatement. I will say this. I bought a model that would let me grow into the car with UMW mods, and his mods are very torque-ful...if that is a word. I wanted NO problems. I have had NO problems. I treat the car with respect, and shift properly (clutch blew right after I bought it.....I have never blown a clutch....at least 12 cars....). Car has a SSK too, OEM. I see no downsides to Kevin's package. And, you get his support on top of things. No issues at all on either the hardware of the human sides. Other vendors are great I am sure. He is the person I have actually dealt with and I plan to stick with him given my luck so far. That in no way reflects on any other sponsor/vendor.

Hope that helps.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-17-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
roadsterdoc,

The unsprung Gt2 disk is totally streetable - it drives like just like the stock unsprung TT disk. This is not a grabby set-up at all - even with the heavy duty pressure plate. It feathers very nicely and easily. If you're looking for a new clutch for your stage 4 and you don't want the noise, etc. of the LWF, then this package is a great choice.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
OK guys, there is some confusion about the stock disc. It is indeed sprung. Here is a pic of an oem 996TT disc, taken by me 2 days ago at a Porsche dealership. It came out of a 100% stock car. If anyone's car came differently from the factory, please post a pic.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 AM
roadsterdoc,

I just checked my old clutch parts. I can confirm that my '02 996TT (purchased new by me, so I know it's original) had the same "sprung" style disk as your picture. I was told at one point that the GT2 disk was identical to the stock 996TT disk, except the material was a little grabbier and I never looked at my old disk to notice the difference. So, I wonder if I in fact have a GT2 disk or something else?

This does not change the fact that the unsprung GT2 disk I have is totally streetable with the DM flywheel. I did away with the power assist, but I have to say this GT2 disk/DM flywheel combination offers plenty of feel and is not "on-off" at all, not even close.

Now, I wonder...is the stock GT2 disk sprung? I'm thinking "no", since I am supposed to have that disk, but now I am not certain.

Last edited by John D; 09-24-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by John D
Now, I wonder...is the stock GT2 disk sprung? I'm thinking "no", since I am supposed to have that disk, but now I am not certain.
The GT2 disc is not sprung, part number was 996-116-015-88 which has been superseded by 996-116-015-01.

roadsterdoc...The orginal part number for the 996TT clutch disc was 996-116-013-51 which has been superseded by 996-116-013-53. I seem to remember replacing non-sprung clutch disc on early 996TT's with the same, but I may be wrong. Superseded part started in 2002.

The pressure plate part number is 996-116-027-51 which is used on 996TT, 996 GT2, 996 GT3 and GT3RS, 997TT, 997 GT3 and GT3RS.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Robert,

Thanks for the clarification. What are the advantages / tradeoffs of each style disc? I happen to like the feel of GT2 disc I have...

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by John D
Robert,

Thanks for the clarification. What are the advantages / tradeoffs of each style disc? I happen to like the feel of GT2 disc I have...
The GT2 disc will handle more horsepower, torque, heat and abuse. The GT2 disc like the GT3 disc however will allow more noise to transfer even with the dual mass flywheel...I think that is the main reason why the 996TT clutch disc is sprung, to reduce noise further. Beyond that, the tradeoffs are really minor. Since the dual mass flywheel is the same for the 996TT and GT2, it really makes no sense to replace the clutch disc with a 996TT type unless you want very little noise.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Robert. That clears things up...

Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
I can honestly say I love Kevins clutch. I have is race version. It chatters (when the clutch is out and your in nuetral (I usually have it in at lights, etc). And the take up is short, probably 1/2 to 3/4"... which I also like (less slop) but it is easy to drive, and finding the "spot" where it's about to do it's thing is easy, again making it easier than stock.

Seth.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I have a complete set of OEM GT2 clutch and flywheel w/ less than 1K miles if anyone's interested. Very driveable and precise.

Last edited by vincentdds; 09-24-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
live2shift is infamous around these parts
I went with the stock Dual mass flywheel and a Sachs gt2 clutch and I am not 100% happy, it is very grabby. If I had to do again on a stock powered car I would go back to the silky smooth stock clutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need a new clutch - suggestions?